File storage

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blrac

300 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
I am just getting my feet wet here, so please bear wth me. I recently purchased a new receiver and can access my media files on my computer. I did this before via hdmi but it is no longer needed and actually causing conflicts now with my new setup What I am seeking is external storage that is always accessible (I do not leave my computer on). I am assuming that a simpe external hdd will not work unless the computer is on and I need something like NAS? I prefer wireless for location options but can hook up with ethernet if needed, or usb. This is where I need help. I have less than 1Tb now but am interested in potentally adding my surround music, but this is down the line and will probaby need more help then. I anticipate not needing more than 4 Tb ever. If that changes I will address it when it happens. I want the simplest, cheapest way of doing it correctly, that I can access my media type files without having my computer on. Type of storage, size options or limtatons, brands, connections, etc. would be appreciaed.

Last edited:
If your outside needs would be met by 4TB, you can add that as a local drive but you have not told us what you want to connect it to. Consider also that having a full reliable backup is essential.

Sorry, thought that was assumed when stating I want to be able to access the files independent of having my computer on. I don't know if I can hook anything up to my computer to accomplish this. As stated I assumed I needed to have it accessible through my network so I can use the DLNA aspect of my receiver and other network devices to access the files. I prefer wireles access but can use ethernet as well. I am not sure what other info I can provide. If this is not sufficient, please elaborate a bit more as simply as possible. I do have backups of everything and will continue to do so. I basically want a stand alone network accessible storage thing.

I highly recommend this Synology NAS:

http://www.synology.com/en-uk/products/overview/DS214

Or this one:

http://www.synology.com/en-uk/products/overview/DS214+

The second one supports an additional 2 drive bay expansion unit for future increase in drives if required. It's also has a bit more grunt.

They take two drives each up to 4Tb, but you could run 2 x 3Tb as Independent drives for a total of 6Tb. I also have my HD surround concerts on a similar model, HD video uses lots of drive space.

Both also have their own great operating system and run their own apps, including Download Station so you can run overnight downloads easily without a PC and with minimal power usage - both under 30W fully loaded.

Thanks for the links. I was looking at the ds214. This is basically a stand alone computer, so to speak, in that it will process and store files just like my computer, or am I mistaken? In other words this is just a glorified backup setup? Please bear with me, but to spend another $500 to add this and the hdd needed, it seems it would be considerably cheaper, and easier, to just leave one of my computers on and accomplish the same end result? I already have everything from my main computer backed up, sometimes twice, and computer I would leave on is my backup one that my kids get to use. Not to mention the specs on that are MUCH better than NAS? Please clarify that I am seeing this correctly. When I originally asked about stand alone storage, I guess I was thinking of like an external hdd that was always on, therefore accesible, and not needing something like NAS? Does that exist? From what I see here, I think no, because a hdd needs a processor to work and without my computer on it won't work regardless of internal or external storage. I wasn't planning on spending this much money just to access my media files. If there is no other way around it, I will just use my computer because I don't see the advantages of the NAS negating the cost vs. using my computer. Thank you for the advice so far.

On my computer? Either Real or Windows media, atm. I am certainly open for suggestions though. What I am trying to do is bypass that and use my receiver to play media files, it is built into my Pioneer SC-77 using DLNA. t will play FLAC, WMA, Wav, mp3, AAC, Apple lossless, and AIFF for audio. I just saw DLNA doesnt do video or photos. I can still use a diferent connection for that though. These are all only 2 channel playback. However I "think" I can get multi channel playback, with the right media player (which is what I would need if I get into putting those on my computer) by using my hdmi connections. I can play DSD multichannel files via USB on my blu ray player though, but limited to slightly lower resolutions, 2.8 I think. I was mainly looking at accessing my stereo recorded stuff for now and perhaps expanding later. One baby step at a time, lol.

Do you have an Oppo 10x? If the price is a concern you may look into Zyxel NSA310 1-bay NAS. I own its former version (210) which quite satisfies me. I know it's not the best NAS solution but imho its cost/benefit ratio is good.

Do you have an Oppo 10x? If the price is a concern you may look into Zyxel NSA310 1-bay NAS. I own its former version (210) which quite satisfies me. I know it's not the best NAS solution but imho its cost/benefit ratio is good.

I added a Zyxel NSA325 2 bay RAID to my home network a few months ago, and listen to stuff via my Pioneer SC-LX86 (which annoyingly will only do 2.0 FLAC etc. via DNLA links no 5.1). Its a cheap NAS and does what is wanted, but I did find I could only initially connect with the Chrome browser to do the required software update, so wouldn't work initially via Windows Explorer. It was happy once I'd done the software upgrade.

I have a Pioneer Elite FD 62 that is my blu ray, sacd, dvd audio, etc player. This is what will play the multi channel dsd files via usb. Like I said before, stereo is fine for now, I just wanted simpler and easier access to the music on my computer. But, and this is my hang up, what difference is there between NAS and just leaving my computer on to do the same thing?

I have a Pioneer Elite FD 62 that is my blu ray, sacd, dvd audio, etc player. This is what will play the multi channel dsd files via usb.
Are you sure about this? Most will do only stereo and few will do DSD. Also, standard DLNA will not support DSD.

I didn't know Pioneer Elite FD62 supported DSD file playback. Is there more info about that on the web?

To your question: NAS = media server without computer

I don't use my PC for any playback only to rip my discs to file format, or to convert some 2 channel stuff to 4.0/5.1, or to find nice cover art or fan art pictures for my media play. Also I use my PC to edit some live surround music (remove talking/intros etc from video and convert to audio only) and to make DVD-V versions of surround discs for my car. I don't use my Oppo at all these days.

I also use my NAS to backup my PC and my PC to backup my NAS. Everything disc has a duplicate on other system. Since I have 6 NAS drives I also have 6 PC drives. To be sure to be sure. (A ex-customer of mine in US lost millions of dollars worth of design data for their chemical plants because their backups were not done and their servers died!)

I use my media player for all playback from my NAS using an IPad app (see this thread): https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?18458-Media-Players-for-Hi-Res-Surround

One advantage for a NAS over PC server is lower energy costs. My calcs show running a NAS 24/7/365 saves about $300 per year off a typical elect bill. In my case even more since I lose on my solar generation payment at nearly 70c per kWhr while consuming power on a sunny day.

Are you sure about this? Most will do only stereo and few will do DSD. Also, standard DLNA will not support DSD.

Yes, I have stuff on a portable usb drive that I downloaded some of the free downloads from the 2L site and they playback fine, but only up to 2.8 like I said before, 5.1 surround, and it played back fine. I am not sure of the max size of the usb I can use, but I think it is limited to NTSC rules at either 8 or 16 gb.

I didn't know Pioneer Elite FD62 supported DSD file playback. Is there more info about that on the web?

To your question: NAS = media server without computer

I believe it is on the site, www.pioneerelectronics.com I know it works because I have done it to verify. It was in my manual, so if you don't see it under any info, just download the manual and you will find it. Now to really get you, I got this player for $179.99 @ Best Buy Magnolia. I bought this player because it reviewed almost as good as the Oppo for video play and the audio formats it supported. The only drawback, if you call it that, is it is hdmi only, no other outputs. For me, this was not an issue, as I set it up that way and use the Sabre32 DACs in my receiver in lieu of the Oppo. That being said, it is no Oppo, but it is damn nice, especially at the price I paid. Line for line it is very close or equal to the Oppo, and where it was lacking, I compensated as best I could. I considered it the best
bang for the buck. Do some research and see if you agree.

I understand that about NAS. From my perspective it is an expense I don't need to incur, I will just use my back up computer for the same function and lose nothing.

[/QUOTE]One advantage for a NAS over PC server is lower energy costs. My calcs show running a NAS 24/7/365 saves about $300 per year off a typical elect bill. In my case even more since I lose on my solar generation payment at nearly 70c per kWhr while consuming power on a sunny day.[/QUOTE]

Quite frankly that is the only thing I have found going for it over my existing setup. However, I will only turn on the computer when I wish to access the musc there. That pretty much eliminates the electric concerns. This computer is my backup computer at that, so I don't need a NAS for that either. Thanks for the info and your experiences, I appreciate the input.

Well so much for my quoting skills...

Yes, I have stuff on a portable usb drive that I downloaded some of the free downloads from the 2L site and they playback fine, but only up to 2.8 like I said before, 5.1 surround, and it played back fine. I am not sure of the max size of the usb I can use, but I think it is limited to NTSC rules at either 8 or 16 gb.
Very interesting. I am surprised that Pioneer does not mention this capability in large print.

BTW, NTSC stands for the National Television System Committee and I cannot see what they might have to do with this.

I believe it is on the site, www.pioneerelectronics.com I know it works because I have done it to verify. It was in my manual, so if you don't see it under any info, just download the manual and you will find it. ...
I didn't find no mention of pure DSD file playback in the manual of Pioneer Elite FD62 player. Maybe you've mistaken it for your receiver. Btw, FYI there is a Chinese firmware hack (not free) for Pio LX-55 (= FD62) which turns it to a real network (SMB/NFS) media player with some other goddies...:cool:

I can't find it in my manual either. I think I may be thinking of something else, and what I had on my usb drive is a FLAC file, not DSD. I meant NTFS, once again sorry for confusion. It is possible I read somewhere that the DSD playback was featured in an update, but I have been looking into so many things I may be just lumping them all together and am completely confused and wrong. I apologize if that is the case. I am downloading a DSD file as we speak to verify and will let you know if it works in either of my devices.

Back