Films (Almost Entirely Surround)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As a matter of fact, I’m expecting the complete series on Blu-ray to arrive tomorrow. Probably the best opening credits, period. I think it should have ended after five seasons. I hope it arrives because through Amazon it was already delayed, it’s due tomorrow, and as of now hasn’t shipped.
Sure enough, today I got an email from Amazon saying there is further delay. I cancelled and ordered the same thing, same price, but with artwork in Spanish to be delivered on Monday.

S.E. Hinton was all of 16 when she penned THE OUTSIDERS on which Francis Ford Coppola based his 1983 film. Warner Brothers has released what I consider a DEFINITIVE Native UHD4K release which includes not only the original Theatrical release with the Carmine Coppola original soundtrack but a re~edited FULL NOVEL version with the inclusion of Rockabilly music which some found unsettling in deference to the original scoring.

What I will say.....Warner's has done a yeoman's job in bringing BOTH versions included on two separate UHD4K discs to fans of The Greasers and The Socs with brilliantly vibrant colors, excellent contrasts and most importantly, the new Rockabilly infused DTS~HD MA 5.1 [and 5.0] tracks played at a decent volume infuses renewed life to the S.E. Hinton classic. A VERY HIGH RECOMMENDATION!

R.4dd50a5dbbba42dbac64583ba528bac3

Last edited:
S.E. Hinton was all of 16 when she penned THE OUTSIDERS on which Francis Ford Coppola based his 1983 film. Warner Brothers has released what I consider a DEFINITIVE Native UHD4K release which includes not only the original Theatrical release with the Carmine Coppola original soundtrack but a re~edited FULL NOVEL version with the inclusion of Rockabilly music which some found unsettling in deference to the original scoring.

What I will say.....Warner's has done a yeoman's job in bringing BOTH versions included on two separate UHD4K discs to fans of The Greasers and The Socs with brilliantly vibrant colors, excellent contrasts and most importantly, the new Rockabilly infused DTS~HD MA 5.1 [and 5.0] tracks played at a decent volume infuses renewed life to the S.E. Hinton classic. A VERY HIGH RECOMMENDATION!

R.4dd50a5dbbba42dbac64583ba528bac3
I still need to grab this one! I loved the books when I was a kid but I was never nuts about The Outsiders film. Rumble Fish is one of my all time favorites though. The Stewart Copeland soundtrack sounds fantastic on the Criterion blu-ray. I really hope it shows up in 4K at some point. Pretty cool that Coppola did them at the same time and in completely different styles.

I still need to grab this one! I loved the books when I was a kid but I was never nuts about The Outsiders film. Rumble Fish is one of my all time favorites though. The Stewart Copeland soundtrack sounds fantastic on the Criterion blu-ray. I really hope it shows up in 4K at some point. Pretty cool that Coppola did them at the same time and in completely different styles.
While I did find some of the acting in THE OUTSIDERS overwrought, I'd give it a second chance by watching the FULL NOVEL edition first! S.E.Hinton also has a bit part as a nurse attending to Matt Dillion's 'snotty' character in a hospital scene. I played that edition fairly loud and the new rockabilly score fills all four corners of the room.

Also agree, Rumble Fish is a classic and always found Stewart Copeland's score a BONUS!

See the source image

While I did find some of the acting in THE OUTSIDERS overwrought, I'd give it a second chance by watching the FULL NOVEL edition first! S.E.Hinton also has a bit part as a nurse attending to Matt Dillion's 'snotty' character in a hospital scene. I played that edition fairly loud and the new rockabilly score fills all four corners of the room.

Also agree, Rumble Fish is a classic and always found Stewart Copeland's score a BONUS!

See the source image
I'll definitely check it out! I love that Coppola consulted with Hinton during the filming and used her for cameos. I didn't realize she was in The Outsiders as well but she had the small part as a hooker in Rumble Fish... her interaction with Spano was hilarious.

I'll definitely check it out! I love that Coppola consulted with Hinton during the filming and used her for cameos. I didn't realize she was in The Outsiders as well but she had the small part as a hooker in Rumble Fish... her interaction with Spano was hilarious.

R.8448a8b2b0cc53dbfbfc423e2c510b32

MATT with S.E. 'Susie' Hinton in THE OUTSIDERS

Now streaming on HULU in majestic 4K ......who would ever think the majestic fjords of Norway could trigger a tsunami? Folks, this nailbiter of a flick admirably answers that query. In 1905 and 1934 the collapse of a nearby mountain triggered two disastrously destructive tsunamis and IT COULD HAPPEN AGAIN. Very high production values and the sound is magnificent [the blu~ray does add a Dolby ATMOS soundtrack]

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Wave-Blu-ray/152476/#Review
81bUMQqfORL._SL1500_.jpg

Vampires (1998) Blu-ray:
1. I watched this last night, I think for the first time since seeing it at the cinema in the 90's. It's no The Thing or Christine, but it's fun and better than lots of Carpy's later flicks.
2. DTS-MA 5.1 was pretty good. Lots of surround use most of the time.
3. There's a 38 minute 1994 yap with Carpy on stage which was really interesting. He's a cool dude.
4. Region free BD here: VAMPIRES - BD

Now streaming on HULU in majestic 4K ......who would ever think the majestic fjords of Norway could trigger a tsunami? Folks, this nailbiter of a flick admirably answers that query. In 1905 and 1934 the collapse of a nearby mountain triggered two disastrously destructive tsunamis and IT COULD HAPPEN AGAIN. Very high production values and the sound is magnificent [the blu~ray does add a Dolby ATMOS soundtrack]

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Wave-Blu-ray/152476/#Review
81bUMQqfORL._SL1500_.jpg
Trailer looked good and it's still on my list!

Reminds me of what happened here in NZ a few years ago: A whopper of an earthquake resulted in a tsunami that hit some deserted farmland when the sea floor decided to pop up and catch some rays. No one was around (or if they were, they ain't no more) but they could see its effects a few days later and it would have been a hell of a fright if you were out tending your flocks by night - midnight on a hill, next minute you're underwater. The terrain is pretty steep in that area so would have amplified it like crazy too.

Trailer looked good and it's still on my list!

Reminds me of what happened here in NZ a few years ago: A whopper of an earthquake resulted in a tsunami that hit some deserted farmland when the sea floor decided to pop up and catch some rays. No one was around (or if they were, they ain't no more) but they could see its effects a few days later and it would have been a hell of a fright if you were out tending your flocks by night - midnight on a hill, next minute you're underwater. The terrain is pretty steep in that area so would have amplified it like crazy too.
I was flipping through HULU very very early in the A.M. and was only going to watch a smattering but it was so nailbitingly engrossing I watched the entire flick. At film's end, it did indicate that this event is hardly fiction but can and WILL happen again! SCARY!

Vampires (1998) Blu-ray:
1. I watched this last night, I think for the first time since seeing it at the cinema in the 90's. It's no The Thing or Christine, but it's fun and better than lots of Carpy's later flicks.
2. DTS-MA 5.1 was pretty good. Lots of surround use most of the time.
3. There's a 38 minute 1994 yap with Carpy on stage which was really interesting. He's a cool dude.
4. Region free BD here: VAMPIRES - BD
That has one of my all-time favorite vampire kill methods. Clever and fun. I won't unveil it to perhaps entice someome to watch it for the first time.

Can I ask a quick, general question about 4k/ HDR picture quality?

I currently have 1080p HD (screen and player). I have been very impressed with some films - the difference between SD and HD is astounding. But others have quite a lot of grain or soft focus and the BD upgrade does not seem so impressive. (And don't get me started on films made this century - they all seem to have the colour washed out and digital film grain added.) So... while I am tempted to get a 4k screen and player, I am wondering if I might often be disappointed. I'm guessing the classic 50s and 60s 35/70mm films look great, which is the kind of thing I like. Maybe people can give a one or two word description of the pic quality when they mention a film? I know I could go to a different forum but, hey, why would I do that?! (Obviously I'm not intending this thread to be sidelined into long discsussions about pic quality but a few words wouldn't get in the way. But if people want to answer this with a general feeling on pic quality that would be great.)

Can I ask a quick, general question about 4k/ HDR picture quality?

I currently have 1080p HD (screen and player). I have been very impressed with some films - the difference between SD and HD is astounding. But others have quite a lot of grain or soft focus and the BD upgrade does not seem so impressive. (And don't get me started on films made this century - they all seem to have the colour washed out and digital film grain added.) So... while I am tempted to get a 4k screen and player, I am wondering if I might often be disappointed. I'm guessing the classic 50s and 60s 35/70mm films look great, which is the kind of thing I like. Maybe people can give a one or two word description of the pic quality when they mention a film? I know I could go to a different forum but, hey, why would I do that?! (Obviously I'm not intending this thread to be sidelined into long discsussions about pic quality but a few words wouldn't get in the way. But if people want to answer this with a general feeling on pic quality that would be great.)
I agree, the picture quality differences between the latest 4k version of the original Godfather and latest 4k version of Apocalypse Now is pretty dramatic. Apocalypse Now was much better and a joy to watch!

Back