Films (Almost Entirely Surround)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
....I was wondering why there was so much humor on it and then I saw that it was directed by Taika Waititi, the CRAZY New Zealander who brought us such classics as "Our Flag Means Death" and "What we do in the shadows"... definitely getting this on BluRay when it comes out..
Waititi introduced comedy into the Thor franchise on the previous movie "Ragnorok". I was glad to see he was allowed to direct the follow up as well. I'd also recommend "JoJo Rabbit" in which he both has a major role and directs. From what I heard, serious comic book fans weren't that happy about imbuing the character with comedy.

I haven't seen "Love and Thunder" yet, but I plan to.

Waititi introduced comedy into the Thor franchise on the previous movie "Ragnorok". I was glad to see he was allowed to direct the follow up as well. I'd also recommend "JoJo Rabbit" in which he both has a major role and directs. From what I heard, serious comic book fans weren't that happy about imbuing the character with comedy.

I haven't seen "Love and Thunder" yet, but I plan to.
thanks for the heads up..was not aware of the Ragnorok credit!

The Terror - Season 1 (2018) BD:

1. I watched this a few years ago and felt another spin coming on so watched it over the last week. I find it a thoroughly enjoyable ~8 hours. Great story, cast, characters, direction, cinematography, lighting, music - it's all top notch.

2. The surround mix is constant and discrete. Lots of ship/ice creaks, wind and other weather. Decent low end from Tuunbaq too.

3. I watched this from MKV's backed-up from this Region A-locked BD: https://www.amazon.com/Terror-Season-Blu-ray-Jared-Harris/dp/B07DKSPGP4 via a Zidoo Z9X media player and with the combination of colour profile output from the Zidoo and how I've monkeyed with my Sony TV settings, if someone told me I was watching a 2K upscale on 4K with HDR, I'd believe them. Bright highlights on uniform buttons and the sun. Just shows to go what a difference lighting and other system settings can make.

4. Tangerine Dream's Birth of Liquid Plejades from Zeit showed up a few times in the soundtrack which was a nice addition. I had a listen to all of Zeit (ripped from my CD) in DTS Neural 5.1 and by golly, I thought it sounded great. Lots of panning and seemingly discrete activity from the surrounds. I don't usually do the faux surround mix from stereo but might give some of my other Tangerine Dream albums a listen this way in future.

5. Did anyone see Season 2? I forgot about it and read that it wasn't a patch on Season 1 but interested in what y'all reckon if anyone's seen it.

Last edited:
I found season 2 a more compelling story but that will be driven by personal choice. I watched it in stereo so can't speak to the quality of the audio.

I actually watched season 2 first and then realized it was the same series that I had been avoiding and watched s1.

The 60th Anniversary Native UHD4K remaster of LAWRENCE OF ARABIA, steelbook edition [HDR10/Dolby Vision/Dolby ATMOS]

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Lawrence-of-Arabia-4K-Blu-ray/312408/#Review
918HEXxf2yL._SL1500_.jpg

Picked up three UHD4K steelbook editions from Walmart today for UNDER $10 each: ROCKETMAN, THE ORIGINAL COMING TO AMERICA AND [UGH] GEMINI MAN [hey, it was cheap} and added Francis Ford Coppola's THE OUTSIDERS [Native UHD4K non steelbook edition] The Complete Novel [that was $20] Also received FREE s/h....not a bad deal!

Tonight's Movie: Denzel in DEVIL IN A BLUE DRESS {Criterion/Native UHD4K]

Last edited:
Yet another 4-Killer audio/visual experience!
1658692675347.png
Denis Villeneuve Blade Runner 2049

I don't recollect where i first read about this release, but i know it's been on my watchlist for quite awhile. When amazon offered it for $9.99 during their prime daze [sic], i pulled the trigger. So glad i did! The film is so respectful of the original. Visuals are stunning in 4-K, and the soundtrack (i'm listening in DolbyTrueHD 7.1) is off-the-chain surrounderful! Highly recommended!
https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Blade-Runner-2049-4K-Blu-ray/189774/#Review
High-Def Digest Review

View attachment 81544 Denis Villeneuve Blade Runner 2049

I don't recollect where i first read about this release, but i know it's been on my watchlist for quite awhile. When amazon offered it for $9.99 during their prime daze [sic], i pulled the trigger. So glad i did! The film is so respectful of the original. Visuals are stunning in 4-K, and the soundtrack (i'm listening in DolbyTrueHD 7.1) is off-the-chain surrounderful! Highly recommended!
High-Def Digest Review
Great flick. Denis rules! Gotta drop my sub ~4dB for that intro - whoa.

View attachment 81544 Denis Villeneuve Blade Runner 2049

High-Def Digest Review

"If you could see what I've seen through your eyes."

oi, 4-ear, you missed posting this. Having just finished the first four this is rather topical, and Creature has always been a favorite of mine.

Universal is expected to announced a new Universal Classic Monsters: Icons of Horror Collection – Volume 2 box set for release on 4K Ultra HD on 10/11, which will include four more films in the series. We don’t have official confirmation of the specific titles, but we believe them to be The Mummy (1932), Bride of Frankenstein (1935), Phantom of the Opera (1943), and Creature from the Black Lagoon (1954).

Now come on, someone drop The Crow on 4k for Halloween ...

oi, 4-ear, you missed posting this. Having just finished the first four this is rather topical, and Creature has always been a favorite of mine.

Universal is expected to announced a new Universal Classic Monsters: Icons of Horror Collection – Volume 2 box set for release on 4K Ultra HD on 10/11, which will include four more films in the series. We don’t have official confirmation of the specific titles, but we believe them to be The Mummy (1932), Bride of Frankenstein (1935), Phantom of the Opera (1943), and Creature from the Black Lagoon (1954).

Now come on, someone drop The Crow on 4k for Halloween ...
I'm all in for Bride of Frankenstein! One of my all-time favorites!
CF141FCC-1760-41F9-8C83-C8460A53FD3B_1_105_c.jpeg

Back