Films (Almost Entirely Surround)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From SCREAM FACTORY DOG SOLDIERS [Native UHD4K scanned from the original 16mm camera negative/HDR10/DTS~HD MA 5.1]

https://ultrahd.highdefdigest.com/104689/dogsoldierscollectorsedition4kultrahdbluray.html
dog-soldiers-4k-ultrahd-bluray-collectors-edition-scream-factory-slip.png

From the digitalbits' website:

Finally today, we need to take a moment to acknowledge the passing the great German film and television director Wolfgang Petersen, whose work includes the WWII submarine masterpiece Das Boot, as well as The NeverEnding Story, Enemy Mine, In the Line of Fire, Outbreak, Air Force One, The Perfect Storm, Troy, and Poseidon. A couple of those films—but especially Das Boot—really deserve a new 4K UHD release with Dolby Atmos sound. Peterson died of pancreatic cancer last week (on 8/12) at his home in Los Angeles. He was 81. You can read more about his life and work here at The New York Times and here at Variety.

From the digitalbits' website:

Finally today, we need to take a moment to acknowledge the passing the great German film and television director Wolfgang Petersen, whose work includes the WWII submarine masterpiece Das Boot, as well as The NeverEnding Story, Enemy Mine, In the Line of Fire, Outbreak, Air Force One, The Perfect Storm, Troy, and Poseidon. A couple of those films—but especially Das Boot—really deserve a new 4K UHD release with Dolby Atmos sound. Peterson died of pancreatic cancer last week (on 8/12) at his home in Los Angeles. He was 81. You can read more about his life and work here at The New York Times and here at Variety.
We had the original 1985 mini-series of Das Boot on UK TV, it was excellent.

Over the past two nights, I watched Alfred Joseph Hitchcock's THE TROUBLE WITH HARRY [1955] and MARNIE [1964] superbly restored in Native UHD4K by Universal Studios. Although lesser Hitchcock, seeing them in pristine optics for the first time in glorious MONO gave me a new perspective on Hitchcock's undeniable directorial skills. TROUBLE also introduced the cinematic world to a wonderfully vibrant Shirley McLaine who debuted in Hitch's dark comedy along with John Forsythe and a very young Jerry Mathers [the Beaver!]. The glowing cinematography shot in autumnal Vermont and Bernard Hermann's witty score [his first with Hitch] all contriubute to a delightful whodunnit!

MARNIE, OTOH, with Miss 'Tippi' Hendren in the lead and a young and dashing Sean Connery [fresh off Doctor NO] was a bit more problematic as Hitch originally optioned the novel with Grace Kelly in mind for the iconic role of Marnie! When Kelly backed out, Tippi stepped in and as I watched the over two hour film I kept envisioning Monaco's crown princess in the role. Hendren's overwrought performance, IMO, was a bit OVER THE TOP in comparison to Grace's previous role in Alfred's TO CATCH A THIEF where her cool, calm and collected charm and undeniable beauty contributed to Thief's ultimate success.

And of course in it all comes out in the wash department....Hitch made a 'play' for Tippi .... and she REFUSED.... which sadly ended Miss Hendren's career in Hollywood save for a few unmemorable flicks and it was also said Hitchcock grew somewhat detached from the production after being shot down and IMO, IT SHOWS. Save for Connery's brilliant performance and Louise Latham as Marnie's mom, I can only recommend MARNIE to diehard Hitchcock fans and again, Bernard Hermann's score is superb and sadly, his final collaboration with the director!

Last edited:
I watched Joe Carnahan's SMOKIN' ACES in 4K last night and can report that it's a nice upgrade from the previous 1080p BD~V and still packs a gut punch. With a Who's Who of actors/actresses, Carnahan's CARNAGE is second to none and the flick speeds along at an incredible pace. The uptick in detail is apparent in every scene and the immersive SURROUND track is awesome. Paid only $11.19 from GRUV.com and IMO, worth every penny!

R.7f6d19ae790c1dd8a82845fc03f5c5ad

MISS ALICIA KEYES ....RIGHT ON KEY!

https://www.avforums.com/reviews/smokin-aces-4k-blu-ray-review-hdr10.19782/

Last edited:
Last edited:
JURASSIC WORLD DOMINION [Native UHD4K/HDR10/DOLBY VISION/DTS:X] Theatrical and Extended Versions

http://thedigitalbits.com/item/jurassic-world-dominion-2022-4k-uhd
71IdIP2MAkL._SL1500_.jpg
WHAT DO THE CRITICS KNOW? Watch the EXTENDED VERSION of Jurassic World DOMINION which adds14 minutes to the Theatrical Cut and form your OWN opinion.

SUPPOSEDLY the last entry in the Jurassic PARK/WORLD franchise, director Colin Trevorrow manages to keep things moving at a brisk pace with some fantastic chase scenes, a memorable sequence in Malta's underground eerily reminiscent of the Cantina scene in Star Wars, MORE new and improved dinosaurs than there are stars in HEAVEN and great turns from the original Jurassic Park cast intermingled with the cast from the Jurassic World franchise....and IMO, it all works admirably.

And Universal has lavished DOMINION with a reference quality Native UHD4K transfer and an immersive DTS:X soundtrack.

Depending on your expectations I found JW: Dominion to be an exciting and credible watch and a fitting conclusion to the franchise .... although I'm betting it won't be the last .......

Over time, IMO, all of the Jurassic Park flicks will become cult darlings ........ and critics be damned. As the ole cliche goes ... they're mostly failed filmmakers and/or screenwriters...or BOTH!

WHAT DO THE CRITICS KNOW? Watch the EXTENDED VERSION of Jurassic World DOMINION which adds14 minutes to the Theatrical Cut and form your OWN opinion.

SUPPOSEDLY the last entry in the Jurassic PARK/WORLD franchise, director Colin Trevorrow manages to keep things moving at a brisk pace with some fantastic chase scenes, a memorable sequence in Malta's underground eerily reminiscent of the Cantina scene in Star Wars, MORE new and improved dinosaurs than there are stars in HEAVEN and great turns from the original Jurassic Park cast intermingled with the cast from the Jurassic World franchise....and IMO, it all works admirably.

And Universal has lavished DOMINION with a reference quality Native UHD4K transfer and an immersive DTS:X soundtrack.

Depending on your expectations I found JW: Dominion to be an exciting and credible watch and a fitting conclusion to the franchise .... although I'm betting it won't be the last .......

Over time, IMO, all of the Jurassic Park flicks will become cult darlings ........ and critics be damned. As the ole cliche goes ... they're mostly failed filmmakers and/or screenwriters...or BOTH!
The original is great, I really like The Lost World too (apart from that gymnastics routine) and I enjoyed Jurassic World better than I thought I would, so this is good to hear. I haven't seen it but hope to get the 4K on sale sometime. Brain off, volume up!

The original is such a gem!
Paul Schrader's 'reimaging' is such a guilty pleasure.....hardly a remake of Lewton's stunning original. The Giorgio Mororder soundtrack is effective and Bowie's closing song PUTTING OUT FIRE is a bon bon for sure. The story IS silly and I'm sure all voyeurs will be pleased with Kinski's various stages of undress and total nudity. And the great Malcolm McDowell as her 'incestuous' brother is suitably creepy! But I am looking forward to the 4K UPGRADE as it's never looked quite right in all previous versions.

Last edited:
The original is great, I really like The Lost World too (apart from that gymnastics routine) and I enjoyed Jurassic World better than I thought I would, so this is good to hear. I haven't seen it but hope to get the 4K on sale sometime. Brain off, volume up!
I was able to get Universal's 4K steelbook edition from GRUV.com for $28 with free s/h........I really think you'll enjoy it Pete ........much better than the 'critics' gave it credit for.

I was able to get Universal's 4K steelbook edition from GRUV.com for $28 with free s/h........I really think you'll enjoy it Pete ........much better than the 'critics' gave it credit for.
Good to hear. Yeah, "critics" - ugh. If everyone's ragging on something, it's usually a sign for me to check it out!

This one's probably a few months away from being released on BD but I've been waiting for the trailer for a few months so here it is if you haven't seen it already, movie hounds:

These 2 have made 4 rippers in a row which I recommend immediate purchase of if you dig genre-spanning thriller/horror/sci-fi's with great characters/stories/direction/special effects/scores:

Resolution: Amazon.com: Resolution (Blu-ray/DVD Combo Pack) : Bill Oberst, Jr., Peter Cilella, Vinny Curran, Kurt David Anderson, Emily Montague, Skyler Meacham, Zahn McClarnon, Carmel Benson, Bill Oberst Jr., Justin Benson, Josh Higgins, Justin Benson, Aaron Scott Moorhead, Justin Benson, David Lawson: Movies & TV
Spring: https://www.amazon.com/Spring-Blu-ray-Digital-Taylor-Pucci/dp/B00XF9K1I4
The Endless: The Endless
Synchronic: https://www.amazon.com/Synchronic-Blu-ray-Anthony-Mackie/dp/B08LNBH4PP

Back