Films (Almost Entirely Surround)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think some viewers are too terrified to monkey with their precious TV settings and that's how all these "too dark" complaints start.
Pete, I haven't tinkered with my LG OLED TV since I took it out of the box ...... I can say, with utter certainty, F13th looks just fine. The outdoor scenes, especially, are simply stunning and all the colors POP.

People with older PLASMA TVs may have a problem. 3D, MOST especially on Plasma TVs, looked just awful ... extremely dark ...almost unwatchable!

And those without HDR10/Dolby Vision capability may also be at a disadvantage. IMO, they make a tremendous difference!

Last edited:
Pete, I haven't tinkered with my LG OLED TV since I took it out of the box ...... I can say, with utter certainty, F13th looks just fine. The outdoor scenes, especially, are simply stunning and all the colors POP.

People with older PLASMA TVs may have a problem. 3D, MOST especially on Plasma TVs, looked just awful ... extremely dark ...almost unwatchable!

And those without HDR10/Dolby Vision capability may also be at a disadvantage. IMO, they make a tremendous difference!
That's good to hear! From what I've read on other forums, some viewers sound like they get their TV professionally calibrated and then won't even adjust their black level to see if there's more hiding back there in the shadows - and there usually is!

That's good to hear! From what I've read on other forums, some viewers sound like they get their TV professionally calibrated and then won't even adjust their black level to see if there's more hiding back there in the shadows - and there usually is!
I also find plugging the video output of your 4K player directly into the TV, thus bypassing the receiver, also has its advantage. Most modern 4K players do have two HDMI outputs, one for pic and one for sound. And there are subtle differences even among HDMI cords ...... I've found great success with my Shunyata Research Venom HDMI cords and they didn't break the bank [some ARE priced in the stratosphere].

And what I'm always amazed at ...... a great number of the world wide population are still investing in 480p DVDs!!!!!! Yep, the majors [and minors] are still releasing them in great quantities and the irony, they ain't cheap ......on many occasions, one can buy a UHD4K disc for LESS than a DVD! Why they don't upgrade to BD remains a mystery as even the less expensive BD players upsample DVD, play RBCD but they insist on holding on to their 'ancient' DVD players! Perhaps that's why the major movie studios are in no great rush to release a greater quantity of UHD4K product......those stubborn 'DVD strap hangers,' which apparently still number in the hundreds of thousands...or dare I say, MILLIONS!

Last edited:
A lot of people haven’t upgraded their players. Hell, I still have a DVD player connected to a 720 TV and a soundbar. It’s good enough for my wife to watch, so I’m not surprised it’s good enough for most people to watch. We on this forum are certainly atypical on the electronic media topic. I know people who are atypical on the gardening topic, the quilt topic, the classic car topic, and a bunch of other topics (some of which are considered taboo on this forum).

I also find plugging the video output of your 4K player directly into the TV, thus bypassing the receiver, also has its advantage. Most modern 4K players do have two HDMI outputs, one for pic and one for sound. And there are subtle differences even among HDMI cords ...... I've found great success with my Shunyata Research Venom HDMI cords and they didn't break the bank [some ARE priced in the stratosphere].

And what I'm always amazed at ...... a great number of the world wide population are still investing in 480p DVDs!!!!!! Yep, the majors [and minors] are still releasing them in great quantities and the irony, they ain't cheap ......on many occasions, one can buy a UHD4K disc for LESS than a DVD! Why they don't upgrade to BD remains a mystery as even the less expensive BD players upsample DVD, play RBCD but they insist on holding on to their 'ancient' DVD players! Perhaps that's why the major movie studios are in no great rush to release a greater quantity of UHD4K product......those stubborn 'DVD strap hangers,' which apparently still number in the hundreds of thousands...or dare I say, MILLIONS!
I actually got so annoyed with two of my best friends not having Blu-ray players that I bought them each one last Christmas. One of them still hasn't hooked theirs up (what's it take, like 5 minutes?). It makes no sense to most of us here, but the vast majority of people out there just don't care. Likewise the majority rarely watch movies on physical media or collect them.

If you have your TV professionally calibrated and yet blacks are still crushed, your calibrator screwed up.

I actually got so annoyed with two of my best friends not having Blu-ray players that I bought them each one last Christmas. One of them still hasn't hooked theirs up (what's it take, like 5 minutes?). It makes no sense to most of us here, but the vast majority of people out there just don't care. Likewise the majority rarely watch movies on physical media or collect them.
I have a friend that buys just to buy. Drives me crazy. Big estate and garage sale hunter. Collects movies but doesn't watch them, "'cause it is a good buy". Makes fun of me 'cause I'll watch a movie several times. He recently upgraded to a Blu-ray player. Do you think he has used it, two years later? Hell no.

Yep, this. I have a UHD player, of course, but I'm the only one in the house that uses it (3 adults and 2 kids in the house). My (adult) kids don't use one, nor do any of their friends. They're fine with streaming. And I do have to say, streaming can look quite good indeed. Then again, many are watching on inexpensive Black Friday TVs or whatever. I have a cheap 65" in my bedroom, and streaming versus UHD disc is almost a wash. I really only see the difference on my main TV (OLED). Much of that comes down to:
Those, and Wide Colour Gamut, are the most appealing features of 4K - better than the 4K resolution in my experience.
VERY much this. My bedroom TV doesn't support WCG, and it only hits about 276 nits peak, so you barely even notice HDR. It honestly doesn't feel much different from a 1080 panel. OTOH, my OLED (after calibration) hits ~700 with beautiful WCG support, and as such 4K/HDR content looks gorgeous.

Just like the music we listen to, the viewing space can impact your viewing pleasure as well.
I have always found this chart interesting although it feels like it skews a bit too quickly toward no difference.

Attachments

• 1666031298633.png
    1666031298633.png
    196 KB · Views: 0
I enjoyed Bullet Train. It reminded me of a Guy Ritchie flick when he still had the magic touch (Snatch, Lock Stock..)
Which is exactly what the blu.ray.com alleges but without Ritchie's deft touch. But it does remain a fan fav. Will stream it and make a decision whether to buy or not. At least the SONY 4K transfer IS REFERENCE QUALITY. And Mr. Pitt is always AMUSING!

And WHEN are they going to replace AMTRAK with a BULLET TRAIN in the good ole USA? LOL!

I don’t know if it’s a majority or not, but I find that a lot of people watch movies on their phones or tablets using earbuds for the audio. I’ve even done it a few times myself, while travelling. Some movies are fine that way, many are not.

The point that a lot of people don’t care is valid. We do, but we’re a bunch of geeks.

Back