Films (Almost Entirely Surround)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A 'revisionist' review of director Michael Lehmann's 1991 'flop' HUDSON HAWK with Bruce Willis and Andie McDowell [Kino Lorber/1080p/DTS~HD MA Dolby Surround]

http://thedigitalbits.com/item/hudson-hawk-kino-2022-bd
71tbHCpUC0L._SL1458_.jpg

it's one of duh classics!!! AND I MEAN IT! very subtle comedy... and it takes place in Rome!
Unfortunately, Kap, like WATERWORLD, the negative reviews were based on its troubled production shoot and the fact that it went WAAYYYY over budget but I believe the digitalbits 'revisionist review' places it in a more positive context!

Will be looking forward to picking up a copy ........

Turbine Medien's newly remastered release of WES CRAVEN'S LAST HOUSE ON THE LEFT [2 Cuts] WHICH ALSO INCLUDES THE 2009 remake [6 BD~Vs/1 RBCD/1080p/DTS~HD MA 5.1]

https://bluray.highdefdigest.com/110760/thelasthouseontheleftlegacycollectionimport.html
the-last-house-on-the-left-legacy-collection-turbine-medien-cover.png

Sir Michael Jagger has this observation in his lyrics to Too Much Blood:

I can feel it everywhere
Feel it up above
Feel the tension in the air
There is too much blood, too much blood
Too much, yeah, too much blood, a'right

Did you ever see 'The Texas Chain Saw Massacre'?
Horrible, wasn't it?
You know people ask me, "Is it really true
You know where you live in Texas
Is that really true what they do around there, people?"

I say, "Hey, now everytime I drive through the crossroads
I get scared there's a bloke running around
With a fuckin' chain saw
Oh, no, he's gotta cut off me..
Oh no no! Don't saw off me leg, don't saw off me arm!"

When I go to the movies, you know
I'd like to see something more romantic
You know like, 'An Officer And A Gentleman'
Or something, something you excite the wife too
You know what I mean?
🤣

Unfortunately, Kap, like WATERWORLD, the negative reviews were based on its troubled production shoot and the fact that it went WAAYYYY over budget but I believe the digitalbits 'revisionist review' places it in a more positive context!

I have the UK BD release and it's an under-appreciated gem. Very entertaining/funny/quotable!

Sir Michael Jagger has this observation in his lyrics to Too Much Blood:

I can feel it everywhere
Feel it up above
Feel the tension in the air
There is too much blood, too much blood
Too much, yeah, too much blood, a'right

Did you ever see 'The Texas Chain Saw Massacre'?
Horrible, wasn't it?
You know people ask me, "Is it really true
You know where you live in Texas
Is that really true what they do around there, people?"

I say, "Hey, now everytime I drive through the crossroads
I get scared there's a bloke running around
With a fuckin' chain saw
Oh, no, he's gotta cut off me..
Oh no no! Don't saw off me leg, don't saw off me arm!"

When I go to the movies, you know
I'd like to see something more romantic
You know like, 'An Officer And A Gentleman'
Or something, something you excite the wife too
You know what I mean?
🤣
Ironically, Davy Wavy, years ago I was taking a film course at SUNY PURCHASE [NY] and I had the pleasure of meeting Wes Craven and Last House's 'romantic' lead, David Hess who were working on a student film project which our teacher, Roy Frumkes, had us 'invest' in. We did get to see LAST HOUSE ON THE LEFT in a private screening which left me cold! Not a fanboy but at the time it was banned in several countries due to its intensely controversial subject matter.

As an aside, the 'student project' was never finished and we ALL lost our 'meager' investments.

And I heartily agree: NOT a date movie...unless your date happens to be Morticia! :ROFLMAO:

David Hess star of LAST HOUSE ON THE LEFT

Last edited:

definitely worth the upgrade to BD, I got this a while ago after having about 3 copies on DVD (PAL, NTSC...etc)

Last edited:
And lo and behold look what's coming to Native UHD4K from UK's EUREKA ENTERTAINMENT in a limited run of 3000 units. Robert Wiene's THE CABINET OF DOCTOR CALIGARI!

For more info read on:

https://thedigitalbits.com/columns/my-two-cents/101322-1530

EKA70480_DasCabinet_UHD_LtdEd_Hardcase_website_500px.jpg

Pre~Order NOW if you want to secure a copy. Reasonably priced [IMO] @ £29.99

https://eurekavideo.co.uk/movie/das-cabinet-des-dr-caligari-limited-edition-box-set-4k-ultra-hd/
EDIT: Just ordered a copy. £29.99 includes a 100 page hardbound book, sturdy slipcase and get this, FREE Worldwide s/h!

EKA70480_DasCabinet-UHD_EXPLODED-website.jpg

Release Date: December 5th. Also includes a choice of 2 different soundtracks including an LPCM 5.1 option! Region FREE [of course]

Last edited:
Those who love their burgers and 'dogs' smothered in cheese look no further than 1986's cult classic THE WRAITH.... an 80's revenge flick with a supernatural twist featuring music by Motley Crue, Ozzie Osborne, Bonnie Tyler and Billy Idol et alia. Lionsgate which currently oversees the Vestron Video catalogue has lavished the film with a stunning 1080p transfer with bold colors, satisfying contrast levels and brighness which does the film full justice. And the Dolby Surround soundtrack effectively conveys the car races, explosions and music in immersive sonics. Lotsa fun and PLENTY of cheese .... but the good kind!

R.82a2d62f178c0ad3829116bc7ef3fdb7

R.df9610b8995a33c8568305a53b8a805e

Last edited:
With Halloween rapidly approaching [not that I dress up in costume and celebrate anymore], thought I'd take advantage of AmazonUS' recent Lightning sale [$12.99] and check out Paramount's new Native UHD4K remaster of director Sean Cunningham's original FRIDAY THE 13TH.

VERY glad I did. Never has that low budget film [$600K] film looked so GORGEOUS....a DEFINITE uptick in quality from the recent Friday the 13th box set from SCREAM FACTORY with a fabulous/immersive DTS~HD MA 5.1 soundtrack which is definitely the icing on Camp Crystal Lake!

[HDR10/Dolby Vision]

81XvoDg4TmL._SL1500_.jpg

EDIT: Just ordered a copy. £29.99 includes a 100 page hardbound book, sturdy slipcase and get this, FREE Worldwide s/h!

Release Date: December 5th. Also includes a choice of 2 different soundtracks including an LPCM 5.1 option! Region FREE [of course]
Thank you guys for pointing this one out! I jumped on it. I haven't seen this movie since I was a kid!

With Halloween rapidly approaching [not that I dress up in costume and celebrate anymore], thought I'd take advantage of AmazonUS' recent Lightning sale [$12.99] and check out Paramount's new Native UHD4K remaster of director Sean Cunningham's original FRIDAY THE 13TH.

VERY glad I did. Never has that low budget film [$600K] film looked so GORGEOUS....a DEFINITE uptick in quality from the recent Friday the 13th box set from SCREAM FACTORY with a fabulous/immersive DTS~HD MA 5.1 soundtrack which is definitely the icing on Camp Crystal Lake!

[HDR10/Dolby Vision]

81XvoDg4TmL._SL1500_.jpg

Plenty of dissenting opinions on this one.

https://thedigitalbits.com/item/friday-the-13th-paramount-2022-uhd
https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=351223

Let them ALL dissent but to this viewer It's looked the BEST it ever has. In fact one 'reviewer' on the Blu.ray.com forum [post # 2202 from SWEETIEMAN] who actually hated the movie and the entire franchise for that matter stated this:

This UHD, for the most part, still looks just fine.

Skies are blue. Skins tones are mostly natural. Grain is plenty heavy and finely resolvable. The encode is well above average. And I certainly didn't see anything wrong with the 24p playback cadence with this disc. And my eyes serve me plenty well.

And as far as scenes being way too dark that one cannot even see the action......absolute BS!

My advice, if you like the flick wait for the price to drop to $10 and see for yourself whether Paramount screwed up their Native UHD4K transfer of the original F13th!

[OPPO 205 HDMI via Shunyata Research Venom cable plugged directly into LG OLED 3D TV .... bypassing the receiver]

Last edited:
Let them ALL dissent but to this viewer It's looked the BEST it ever has. In fact one 'reviewer' on the Blu.ray.com forum [post # 2202 from SWEETIEMAN] who actually hated the movie and the entire franchise for that matter stated this:

This UHD, for the most part, still looks just fine.

Skies are blue. Skins tones are mostly natural. Grain is plenty heavy and finely resolvable. The encode is well above average. And I certainly didn't see anything wrong with the 24p playback cadence with this disc. And my eyes serve me plenty well.

And as far as scenes being way too dark that one cannot even see the action......absolute BS!

My advice, if you like the flick wait for the price to drop to $10 and see for yourself whether Paramount screwed up their Native UHD4K transfer of the original F13th!

[OPPO 205 HDMI via Shunyata Research Venom cable plugged directly into LG OLED 3D TV .... bypassing the receiver]
I think some viewers are too terrified to monkey with their precious TV settings and that's how all these "too dark" complaints start.

Back