Films (Almost Entirely Surround)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"James Cameron is now KING OF THE WORLD", I think Boris Johnson may have desires on that title :ROFLMAO:
Methinks they'll both eventually hit icebergs and sink to the bottom of that vast POND!

View Of An Iceberg Photograph by John Hyde | Fine Art America

Last edited:
Twilight / Szürkület (1990) BD:

1. No surround audio on this one (only dual mono) but it's such a cool watch I thought I'd post for all y'all movie heads if you missed it: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0BVMXQ1FS?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

2. Based on a book (that has 2 slightly different endings depending on which version you read according to the extras on this BD) that Sean Penn's The Pledge (2001) with Jack Nicholson was also based on (with the other ending). I remember The Pledge having a cool ending from the one time I've seen it so will have to check it out again at some stage.

3. Cinematography is superb. It's very grey and bleak but if you like long takes with slow pans, you'll dig this. Some of the reviews whine about "compression artifacts". There's definitely something going on but as it's all grey scale, I suspect that the hardware just can't reproduce all the greys, so you get colour banding. It was scanned at 4K so you gotta wonder if a 4K HDR release might fix these but not sure that will be forthcoming at any stage.

4. Aspect ratio is 1.66:1 too which I always get excited about for some weird reason!

5. Score and sound design are great too. Reused bits from Herzog's Nosferatu Popol Vuh score (Bartok in there too apparently) and Kate Bush's Hello Earth.

6. Lots of extras but they're mainly useless "info".

Definitely worth a look I says.

One of the great westerns with bravado performances from Charlton Heston and Donald Pleasence

https://bluray.highdefdigest.com/117011/willpenny.html
Donald Pleasence is so underrated. You can drop him into a terrible film and...well, it'll still be terrible, but his scenes will be a joy nonetheless.

Also, his episode of Columbo might be my favorite. Plus he was the one bad guy that Columbo seemed to regret catching.

Donald Pleasence is so underrated. You can drop him into a terrible film and...well, it'll still be terrible, but his scenes will be a joy nonetheless.

Also, his episode of Columbo might be my favorite. Plus he was the one bad guy that Columbo seemed to regret catching.
True indeed. He's the Don! Great actor. Must have made a bundle back in the day cos he said yep to lots of junk.

True indeed. He's the Don! Great actor. Must have made a bundle back in the day cos he said yep to lots of junk.
British actor Donald Pleasence appeared in over 135 films and had numerous TV appearances over his long and varied career. From his appearance as Bond villain, Ernst Stavro Biofeld in YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE to worldwide acclaim in the Halloween franchise, he always distinguished himself with his unique on screen persona.

R.87f2d774db6d44a0d8152eec558c4ee1

One of my very fav 'guilty pleasure' flicks is Ken Russell's outrageous 1986 production of GOTHIC in which Julian Sands plays British poet Percy Bysshe Shelley, Natasha Richardson his wife Mary Shelley and Irish actor Gabriel Byrne as the infamously scandalous Lord Byron. According to legend, that wild week end spent at Lord Byron's estate in Villa Diodati by Lake Geneva was the inspiration for Mary Shelley's FRANKENSTEIN. Fact or Fiction?

Five go mad at the Villa Diodati: Ken Russell’s 'Gothic' - Wordsworth ...

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Gothic-Blu-ray/193691/#Review
81wRttQqZ4L._SL1500_.jpg

Back