First Post - Putting Together Quad System

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

herbman1975

Howdy fellas!

Quadraphonic.

I had always avoided this medium and just stuck w/good ol' stereo, but a series of acquisitions have sent me down the slippery slope.

This was the first - a Lafayette LR-4000 Quad Receiver.

PICT0006.jpg

PICT0004.jpg

I found it about a month ago at a church sale for $10

It's not even dusty, and it works fine as far as I can tell. The only issue is the FM tuning meter lamps are out - DRAT!

The next find was this Akai GX-280D-SS Quadraphonic reel to reel deck.

AkaiGX-280D-SSR2R.jpg

The REV Play has a dead channel, but forward play 2 and 4 channel work fine. It came with a big, bulky remote with a thick, long cord. It also had a dustcover I am trying to buff out and a metal take up reel. I got it at a flea market the same day I got the Lafayette. I think I paid $20 or $25 for it.

From what I read on the Wikipedia page about Quad, the reel to reel tapes are the best way to enjoy this format.

I still had not considered putting together a quad set up, but after I found these, I just couldn't resist.

PICT0420.jpg

The speakers are Sansui SP-30, 20 WPC X 4 - NOS new in the box. Found them @ a thrift store for $30... They are two ways with horn tweeters. I have read some things comparing them to small advents. I still have yet to open 3 of them.

I plan on using an AR XA turntable I bought from audiokarma.org member johncan to play the vinyl.

ARTurntable006.jpg

I was just wondering if you Quad fans here could give me advice on what to look for/steer clear of as far as formats go, as well as general quad info, listening room set up, ect ect ect... I read some stuff about incompatible quad formats and am quite confused. So far I think I would do well to stay away from CD-4 and just go with reels and SQ vinyl.

Here is a pic of the stuff the Lafayette will jive with -

PICT0013.jpg

Also, how often do Quad 8 track decks come up on (auction site plug removed)? I have to have one, as well as a reverb amp - either a Pioneer or Sansui - I want this set-up to SCREAM 70's...

Last edited:
For fast quad, look for reels, the best way to go. SQ and QS LPs will require better decoders. CD-4 gives great quad, but needs a lot of TLC.

You might want to find a Q8 player. The eBay prices have come back to Earth, excepting the very rare titles.

Looks like you're off to a good start!

Back