Good DVD/Blu-ray Player Wanted

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi there
I have just purchased and set up my new SONY UBP-800M2, hoping to play my two new SACD’s...
Blu-ray/ DVD/CD/USB all play well, BUT there is NO SOUND when playing the SACD’s. It seems to be reading the discs, but no sound! What am I doing wrong? Please Help. It is a REGION FREE player. No message comes up to tell me that there is a problem with the REGION. Cheers
According to your manual there are 2 areas where Super Audio CD settings come into play. Under Audio Settings look for DSD output Mode - the choice is either Auto or Off. Try changing that. If that doesn't work leave it as you originally found it.

The other area is Music Settings. There are 2 settings: Super Audio CD Playback Layer - this should be set to Super Audio CD. The other is Super Audio CD Playback Channel - the choice is either DSD 2ch or DSD Multi. Set that according to the type of disc you are playing.

According to your manual there are 2 areas where Super Audio CD settings come into play. Under Audio Settings look for DSD output Mode - the choice is either Auto or Off. Try changing that. If that doesn't work leave it as you originally found it.

The other area is Music Settings. There are 2 settings: Super Audio CD Playback Layer - this should be set to Super Audio CD. The other is Super Audio CD Playback Channel - the choice is either DSD 2ch or DSD Multi. Set that according to the type of disc you are playing.
shouldn't the last setting be set to DSD multi? that will play the MCH layer if available and default to the stereo layer if there is no MCH layer.

Thanks for getting back all the way from Canada!...
Yes,
Audio Settings on DSD Output mode = Auto
Music Settings on Super Audio CD Playback Layer = Super Audio CD
and
Super Audio CD Playback Channel = DSD Multi
I’m trying to play Moody Blues “ To Our Children’s Children’s Children” SACD - Disc One has The Digitally Remastered Stereo album and 5.1 Surround mix ( which is the surround I want to play)
The disc logo says Super Audio CD To Our CHILDREN’s Children’s Children but STILL NO SOUND!
Cheers
Rob

Yes, I have it on DSD Multi! Still NO SOUND!
I am not familiar with the player itself, but SACD can be played a few different ways. 1. Decoding can be done internal to the player with signal being output through analog out. 2. Decoding can be done in the AVR using DSD over HDMI, in which case both the player and the AVR have to be capable of DSD over HDMI. 3. The DSD can be transcoded to PCM in the player and sent to the AVR over HDMI. There should be an option in the player to select this.

Do you know which process you are using? Do you know if your AVR supports DSD over HDMI? Do you see an option in the player menu to convert DSD to PCM?

Hi there
I have just purchased and set up my new SONY UBP-800M2, hoping to play my two new SACD’s...
Blu-ray/ DVD/CD/USB all play well, BUT there is NO SOUND when playing the SACD’s. It seems to be reading the discs, but no sound! What am I doing wrong? Please Help. It is a REGION FREE player. No message comes up to tell me that there is a problem with the REGION. Cheers
I seem to recall having a problem like that -try setting the DSD output mode to Off. I think the output has to be PCM to go through the HDMI cable.

So what discs have you played successfully? CDs, DVDs, Blu-rays, DVDAs?
I'm also thinking it may be a connection issue, the HDMI cable in the wrong connector. Or an HDMI output selection issue.
Thanks for getting back! Yes, all good for the DVD-A’s, DVD, Blu-ray, CD & USB flac....should I be using the HDMI Out 2 Jack for (Audio Only)?

Thanks for getting back! Just using the one HDMI Out Jack ( Video/audio). Not using the HDMI Out Jack ( Audio only) output....is it worth trying the AUDIO ONLY HDMI only?
What AVR and TV are you connecting it to? I have a X800M2 using only the HDMI1 output (to a Sony ZA2100ES) and it works fine.

What AVR and TV are you connecting it to? I have a X800M2 using only the HDMI1 output (to a Sony ZA2100ES) and it works fine.
OK nice to know the HDMI Out 1Jack (video/Audio) is the one - Samsung UHD LED Smart TV - should not be the problem. I’m more inclined to think is has something to do with the configuration of my DENON surround receiver?
Cheers

Back