Steven Wilson 'Grace for Drowning' Grammy Nomination

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

georgeshannon

701 Club - QQ All-Star
Steven Wilson's Grace For Drowning is nominated for Best Surround Mix. This is Steven's third consecutive nomination and may be the charm. He ran up against the Beatles the first two years and is now up against Elliot Scheiner for the Layla mix. Let's keep our fingers crossed for luck for Steven this year.

Steven Wilson's Grace For Drowning is nominated for Best Surround Mix. This is Steven's third consecutive nomination and may be the charm. He ran up against the Beatles the first two years and is now up against Elliot Scheiner for the Layla mix. Let's keep our fingers crossed for luck for Steven this year.

Agree! And here's the complete list:

AN EVENING WITH DAVE GRUSIN
Frank Filipetti & Eric Schilling, surround mix engineers;
Frank Filipetti, surround mastering engineer; Phil Ramone,
surround producer (Various Artists)
[Telarc]
2. GRACE FOR DROWNING
Steven Wilson, surround mix engineer; Paschal Byrne,
surround mastering engineer; Steven Wilson, surround
producer (Steven Wilson)
[K-Scope]
3. KIND
Morten Lindberg, surround mix engineer; Morten Lindberg,
surround mastering engineer; Morten Lindberg, surround
producer (Kjetil Almenning, Ensemble 96 & Nidaros String
Quartet)
[2L (Lindberg Lyd)]
LAYLA AND OTHER ASSORTED LOVE SONGS (SUPER
DELUXE EDITION)
Elliot Scheiner, surround mix engineer; Bob Ludwig,
surround mastering engineer; Bill Levenson & Elliot Scheiner,
surround producers (Derek & The Dominos)
[USM/UMe/Polydor]
SPOHR: STRING SEXTET IN C MAJOR, OP. 140 &
NONET IN F MAJOR, OP. 31
Andreas Spreer, surround mix engineer; Andreas Spreer,
surround mastering engineer; Andreas Spreer, surround
producer (Camerata Freden)

If anyone deserves a surround Grammy at this point, it's Steve Wilson. I really like Elliot Scheiner and the Layla mix, but for the past few years, Steve Wilson has almost single handedly kept surround audio alive.

My hope is that if Layla wins, it will convince UMG to release either an Acoustic Sounds SACD, a stand-alone Blu-Ray disc (like Tom Petty), or a combo CD/DVD-A or CD/Blu-Ray disc package (like Moving Pictures) cause I REALLY want to hear this 5.1 mix!

Either that or they could rerelease the super deluxe edition box for the 41st anniversary... :p

But other than what I stated above, I REALLY WANT SW TO WIN!!!

Surely it has to be third time lucky!
Morten must be thinking similar things though - he's been nominated more than once so it's between Elliot, Steven & Morten I think.

What gets to me though, and I mean really truly vexes me, is the way we have all the genres mixedtogether, right at the tail end of the lists stuck between the classical & non-classical, whereas all the (C)Rap, Country & everything else gets multiple categories.

Pretty sad state of affairs when something like Layla is nominated for a Grammy award and it isn't even in print any more by the time the nomination is announced!

Pretty sad state of affairs when something like Layla is nominated for a Grammy award and it isn't even in print any more by the time the nomination is announced!

Not forgetting that the "Scheiner" Layla has sat in the can for 6 or 7 years (Not unusual i know) while the record comany supposedly superior version got released on SACD back when they were selling !!
It really makes a mockery of the whole business isit any wonder teh music business is in such a state.

Well looks like Elliot won this year for the Layla remix. Hope Steven doesn't give up hope. He's the most unrecognized surround sound mixer in the industry.

Last edited:
No matter how desperately the Grammy org tries to be relevant to current music trends, they are always a step behind - remember Jethro Tull ("Crest Of A Knave") winning for the first Hard Rock/Metal album in 1988? Typically it's the mainstream that will go home with the honors and a few oddballs thrown in (Bon Iver for Best New Artist!). It's a 3 hour commercial for the music industry - the awards themselves are a nice(slight) bump in sales for the winner but not much than that. Steven Wilson already has the respect of his heroes (Fripp/Tull/etc) and a nicely growing fan base to boot - a Grammy for best Surround mixer and $2.50 will get him a ride on the NYC subway.

No matter how desperately the Grammy org tries to be relevant to current music trends, they are always a step behind - remember Jethro Tull ("Crest Of A Knave") winning for the first Hard Rock/Metal album in 1988? Typically it's the mainstream that will go home with the honors and a few oddballs thrown in (Bon Iver for Best New Artist!). It's a 3 hour commercial for the music industry - the awards themselves are a nice(slight) bump in sales for the winner but not much than that. Steven Wilson already has the respect of his heroes (Fripp/Tull/etc) and a nicely growing fan base to boot - a Grammy for best Surround mixer and $2.50 will get him a ride on the NYC subway.

Yeah......those awards were "something," indeed. One artist gets all the airplay and sales the entire year then, unsurprisingly, sweeps the Grammys. Not to bust on Adele in the least, but it's been overkill. The fields for each category were the thinnest I've ever seen, although it allowed for some funny moments like Skrillex as "Best New Artist," and on-second-album Bon Iver winning that award.

So Scheiner won? I just don't think the "Layla" mix rises to outstanding, but I'm in the minority there. It's a rather trivial award in the end.

posted elsewhere by me but i do find it strange that a mix that was shelved by the record company for not sounding modern wins the grammy for best surround while a modern disc which sounds absolutly brilliant does not !!!

SW talk about always the bridesmaid.

Hope Steven doesn't give up hope. He's the most unrecognized surround sound mixer in the industry.

i don't think that Steven Wilson in surround for the money or awards but because he likes it and, up to date,
in musical industry is a most dedicated to surround format. i have great respect to him for this (y)

posted elsewhere by me but i do find it strange that a mix that was shelved by the record company for not sounding modern wins the grammy for best surround while a modern disc which sounds absolutly brilliant does not !!!

SW talk about always the bridesmaid.

It is "interesting" that a brand-new, original work of music, created and mixed for surround by the artist, would lose out to a rejected surround mix of an album that not only was released 40 years ago, but is unable to be purchase anywhere in the world at this time, without paying outrageous collector prices. And in fact, if it were still available, would be out of the price range of the average fan.

Yeah......those awards were "something," indeed. One artist gets all the airplay and sales the entire year then, unsurprisingly, sweeps the Grammys. Not to bust on Adele in the least, but it's been overkill. The fields for each category were the thinnest I've ever seen, although it allowed for some funny moments like Skrillex as "Best New Artist," and on-second-album Bon Iver winning that award.

So Scheiner won? I just don't think the "Layla" mix rises to outstanding, but I'm in the minority there. It's a rather trivial award in the end.

I went to look up who won the award and all I saw was who had the best hair. who wore the best dress, who had the best shoes etc,- - - and all the BS, I never did see who won the award for surround until I saw it here. PS Who is this Adele?? maybe I just don't listen to the right radio station?

Hey Grill - You haven't voted!

I voted for Elliot in the poll, I must be in tune with the Recording Academy members :eek:..

But seriously - Steven should have got the Grammy.

I agree with the argument posed by rusinurbe and JonUrban. Here we have Steven Wilson submitting a contemporary masterpiece for consideration against a remix of a 40 year old classic which is no longer available. Maybe a rule change is in order. Shouldn't they require a Grammy winner to be available for listening? Now that the Layla remix has received the Grammy some folks may want to hear it and compare it to the submissions that did not win..

Also, winning a Grammy can open doors for an artist and assist in their further career development. Winning a Grammy can also change the direction the music industry takes. In the near term we can expect to see more artists like Adele get the nod from producers and fewer artists like Nikki Menage and Katy Perry. The Grammy is recognition of an artist's popularity and sales. Consumers vote with their dollars and the Grammy reflects the sales. Producers will follow the cash flow and book acts that approach the Grammy winners style.

Back