• QuadraphonicQuad welcomes you and encourages your participation! Treat all members with respect. Please keep all discussions civil, even when you have a strong opinion on a particular topic.

Do not offer for free, offer for sale, offer for trade, or request copies or files of copyrighted material - no matter how rare or unavailable to the public they might be. We do not condone the illegal sharing of music. There are many places on the internet where you can participate in such transactions, but QuadraphonicQuad is not one of them. We are here to encourage and support new multichannel releases from those companies that still provide them and as such the distribution of illegal copies of recordings is counter-productive to that effort. Any posts of this sort will be deleted without notification.

Please try to avoid discussions that pit one format against another. Hint for new users: make liberal use of the search facilities here at QuadraphonicQuad. Our message base is an incredibly rich resource of detailed information on virtually all topics pertaining to surround-sound. You will be surprised at what you can find with a little digging!

HARD TO FIND PART NEEDED

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

jamie norman

WE ARE REARING AN AKAI AS-980 QUAD RECEIVER FROM THE EARLY 70'S. WE NEED A VOLUME CONTROL FOR IT. ANY ONE HAVE ONE? PLEASE LET ME KNOW.
I HAVE A CUSTOMER WHO WANTS TO ENJOY HIS QUAD RECEIVER WITH HIS QUAD REEL TO REEL..
THANKS,
JAMIE

Beefalo

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
WE ARE REARING AN AKAI AS-980 QUAD RECEIVER FROM THE EARLY 70'S. WE NEED A VOLUME CONTROL FOR IT. ANY ONE HAVE ONE? PLEASE LET ME KNOW.
I HAVE A CUSTOMER WHO WANTS TO ENJOY HIS QUAD RECEIVER WITH HIS QUAD REEL TO REEL..
THANKS,
JAMIE
Welcome to the QQ forum jamie norman. There are quite a few knowledgeable folks on this forum and I hope they can help you.

Beefalo

QQ Supporter
THANKS,
JAMIE
Hey Jamie,
There is a welcome page where you can introduce yourself. More people will see your question:

Circular Vibes

Since 2002/2003
You may need to rebuild the original. They can be disassembled and new elements scavenged from new pots in the correct values and reuse the original casing and shaft.

quadsearcher

800 Club - QQ All-Star
There's other workarounds too. I had one with a poor connection where the rivet attaches one side of one of the resistive elements to an outside pin, conductive silver-print just around the rivet took care of it. Retensioning the wipers if the contacts are not worn out is possible. This is after trying a usual cleaning of course, maybe several cleanings over 24 hrs, with a trusted contact cleaner like Caig DN5.

The last time I thought I needed a replacement potentiometer (in a MacIntosh, different model), it turned out to be other problems making it seem like the channels weren't tracking together. Mac actually sold me a custom control which acted just the same after the giant hassle of replacing it.

par4ken

500 Club - QQ All-Star
Check eBay, people sometimes part out old equipment. Looks like with that pot the front and rear sections can be adjusted separately, to adjust front to rear balance, similar or identical pots are used in their reel to reels as well. You could use a regular pot and forgo the balance feature. If the pot is just noisy you might try Deoxit on it. The service manual can be found here Akai AS-980 - Manual - 4-Channel/Stereo Receiver - HiFi Engine