HiRez Poll Hawkwind - SPACE RITUAL [Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Hawkwind - SPACE RITUAL

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Terrible Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Please post your thoughts and comments on this new reissue of the classic album "Space Ritual" by Hawkwind, which has been newly remixed in 5.1 surround by our friend @Stephen W Tayler

(y):) (n)

hawkwind_spaceritual-scaled.jpg

This is the only Hawkwind album I owned (on CD) before this year (I got the Days Of The Underground box earlier this year). I never listened to it enough to become really familiar with it, so it’s almost like listening to it for the first time.

It’s a very heavy hard rock album, almost assaultive, so if that’s not your thing you should probably skip it. Likewise some of the lyrics and effects can be a bit spinaltapish. For me neither of those is an issue.

So if you are in that camp with me, you will love the surround mix. A very aggressive and immersive mix. A lot going on all the way around. The space rock genre is known for sound effects and electronic noises which really work well in surround. I’m giving it a 9.

It's a 10 from me. I know this album like the back of my hand, old and weathered! The all round package is excellent and the price is reasonable for what you get. Its very enjoyable to listen to, to read through, or just to look at.

The stereo mixes of all 3 gigs are superb. I've been listening to these a lot, out and about.

The surround mix is excellent too, very immersive, especially loud. It really opens the music up. Its very spacey music, trance like in places. You can dance to it if that's your thing. At the recent Albert Hall concert of there's that I attended, there were plenty of people up and dancing. With or without drugs I couldn't possibly comment! Lots of music, especially spacey electronic synths and sounds that the band are known for, coming from all around. My only criticism would be that I would have liked some more backing vocals clearly in the rears, especially on call and respond type songs like Brainstorm or Time We Left This World Today.

ps Sonic Attack is an absolute mind f***k in surround! Actually, all of the spoken word tracks are, even if you think that they might sound a bit quaint or dated (which I don't).

This was for me the first album that i heard with Hawkwind in the seventies and it is still very important to me. The difference might be that i usually don´t sit and listen to the album all the way through as before. Now i suddenly feel different when the album has really opened up for me again with this fantastic surround mix. Now i can also feel an connection to Pink Floyd with all the strange sounds that floats around in the room. I have never felt any connection between those bands before. If Hawkwind had been as successful as Pink Floyd i guess they would also have had concerts with quad sound. I really hope they release the Bluray separately so many people will be able to hear the fantastic lift in sound quality that the concert has gotten. I can´t think of any album released in surround after many years that has changed so much to the better than this one. An solid 10 from me.

Last edited:
Just outstanding...a perfect 10 from me.
After the upmix release I never thought this would be revisited and not in such exhaustive glory!
For the money this is a great value.
Cherry Red is just maybe my fave surround label.
They haven't put a foot wrong in selection,value and taste.

I wasn't expecting to just be floored by the new mix like this!
Probably because the original is so botched sounding next to this you wouldn't ever suspect the recording behind this existed. I don't mean to criticize an old favorite but I don't know how else to put that!

I never imagined this was possible. Not just anyone could mix this weird shit and get the vibe right either. Knocked it out of the park!

The original seems like it does them a disservice now. Especially the drums. There's a strong element of band tightness here that almost gets missed in the original. Loved the album for a long time but I don't think I'll ever go back to the original after this.

The raw shows are a nice touch too. Even if they're not also mixed in surround. (Too greedy?) So close on the album cover... Couldn't do a 6 panel apparently? (Now I'm being too greedy!)

Wow, I feel a little out of place giving it a 9 in the face of all these 10s, but having listened to the whole thing yesterday, I wasn't any more overwhelmed than I am with most surround discs I play for the first time. It's a great LP, and the 5.1 mix didn't disappoint, but still not sure this is on Dark Side of the Moon, Larks' Tongues, or Topographic Oceans territory in terms of 1973 recordings.

Still, it's live, so there's that, and if you love the record, this is a more-than-good purchase.

Wow, I feel a little out of place giving it a 9 in the face of all these 10s, but having listened to the whole thing yesterday, I wasn't any more overwhelmed than I am with most surround discs I play for the first time. It's a great LP, and the 5.1 mix didn't disappoint, but still not sure this is on Dark Side of the Moon, Larks' Tongues, or Topographic Oceans territory in terms of 1973 recordings.

Still, it's live, so there's that, and if you love the record, this is a more-than-good purchase
I felt the same way with my 9 vote
I assume the difference may lie in the fact that the album itself isn’t as important to me as it is to the rest of those that voted.

I felt the same way with my 9 vote
I assume the difference may lie in the fact that the album itself isn’t as important to me as it is to the rest of those that voted.
Yup.I get that.For instance I could care less for DSOTM or TFTO musically but they are great mixes!

Part of the reason I'm giving this a 10 is because I'm absolutely shocked at how great this mix is. Maybe I shouldn't be, but my expectations were middle-of-the-road and I was knocked out of my seat. The fidelity is tremendous and the surround mix is beyond every live album surround mix I've heard to this point. It's a pity that none of these shows were filmed. What I wouldn't give to see what this actually looked like aside from those few photos that are floating around. The other 10 CDs may be overkill to those who aren't big fans of the band like I am, but if you were lucky enough to get in on the Amazon DE price early on it was a steal. Maybe there will be a future markdown? The book is fantastic read as well. A solid 10.

Part of the reason I'm giving this a 10 is because I'm absolutely shocked at how great this mix is. Maybe I shouldn't be, but my expectations were middle-of-the-road and I was knocked out of my seat. The fidelity is tremendous and the surround mix is beyond every live album surround mix I've heard to this point. It's a pity that none of these shows were filmed. What I wouldn't give to see what this actually looked like aside from those few photos that are floating around. The other 10 CDs may be overkill to those who aren't big fans of the band like I am, but if you were lucky enough to get in on the Amazon DE price early on it was a steal. Maybe there will be a future markdown? The book is fantastic read as well. A solid 10.

That's a good point, I don't know that I've ever seen good footage of their hayday concerts. Man, I bet it was a total trip.

That's a good point, I don't know that I've ever seen good footage of their hayday concerts. Man, I bet it was a total trip.

Aside from the Silver Machine video and what little was in the BBC documentary I don't think I've ever seen any video footage. Their shows must've been unreal.

I hate how many sets choose to have the blu ray disc in a separate slipcase from all the other discs. It implies it's an ancillary experience to the rest of the music provided by the CDs, rather than an aspect of the set that contributes to its cohesive whole. Surround sound mixes should not presented as a bonus, but as a legitimate presentation of the music the box set is attempting to celebrate.

This is my favourite album ever, I have every conceivable edition of it already, and only by chance discovered that this new version had just been released, so I immediately bought it online.

I’m giving this a highly regarded 10/10, although I must admit to being disappointed with the 5.1 Dolby surround mix.

The reason is, that I listen to the stereo versions with my Apple AirPods, which have Spacial Audio, which in my opinion is superior to the 5.1 Dolby Surround mix, and also a lot easier to listen to with my favourite portable music player, my iPhone Max.

That not withstanding, this is well worth the money, and I have absolutely no regrets in having bought it, because the mixes are just so good, instruments buried in the original are now to be clearly heard, and there are now 3 different versions of the performance to choose from, together with the remixed original album.

I’m so pleased with it.

Been meaning to vote and comment on this beauty, but just never found the time. Have loved this album since it’s original release in ‘73 and it’s never sounded this freakin’ good! @Stephen W Tayler totally delivers the goods with his ridiculously engaging surround mix. It’s a visceral and enthralling experience!

Suggestion: give this amazing release a spin in a buzzed state while reading Joe Banks’ Hawkwind Days Of The Underground for maximum effect. Joe’s wonderful prose lends the already astronomical aural experience another outrageously fun dimension. Following is an example of Joe’s superb accompanying verbiage for Born To Go:

There’s a switch to a straighter riff and beat, then Turner raggedly proclaims their manifesto for survival: “We were born to go / We’re never turning back / We were born to go / And leave a burning track.” As he sings, “We’re hatching our dreams into reality,” his body seems subjected to tremendous forces, the last word painfully elongated as though he’s straining to remain conscious. This is no sightseeing trip among the stars, but space travel as gritted-teeth ordeal.

Dayuuum, seriously, how good is that? Along with the Camel box, this may be my number one 2023 surround release and both were helmed by @Stephen W Tayler. WOW, you’re killing it Stephen!!!

Back