HDTracks now offers Surround 5.1 FLAC and DSD downloads

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marpow

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
HDTracks now offers surround titles in a variety of bit rates FLAC and DSD.
They list 28 titles but I can only find four classical titles. See Here HDTracks
This is great news and my hope is that what Tidal is doing with the monthly subscription that HDTracks will slowly start building there surround titles into non classical popular titles.
I think I will purchase one today as an experiment.

+1. I tried running a search on the site but didnt find the 28 titles.

Marpow's link leads to a page entitled "SURROUND SOUND TITLES (28)"--but it only lists four "New Titles in This Category" (three of which are brand-new releases on the 2L label). No easy way to find the 24 other alleged titles. Maybe, as wrat says, they're just not up yet.

At first blush, I'd say the prices are better than NativeDSD's, which also carries 2L, and competitive with the SACD versions for sale on Amazon. Strangely, if you look up these titles at 2L's own website, it's noted that a 7.1.4 "Immersive" (undoubtedly Atmos) mix was done for each for them, but isn't being distributed. Possibly on Tidal?

Anyway: this is an encouraging development. Great find, @marpow!

Last edited:
Marpow's link leads to a page entitled "SURROUND SOUND TITLES (28)"--but it only lists four "New Titles in This Category" (three of which are brand-new releases on the 2L label). No easy way to find the 24 other alleged titles.

At first blush, I'd say the prices are better than NativeDSD's, which also carries 2L, and competitive with the SACD versions for sale on Amazon. Strangely, if you look up these titles at 2L's own website, it's noted that a 7.1.4 "Immersive" (undoubtedly Atmos) mix was done for each for them, but isn't being distributed. Possibly on Tidal?

Anyway: this is an encouraging development!

I'm a sucker for marimba, so I think I might check out Makoto Nakura's Bach Parallels. (Hey, it's got an Easter hymn, "Christ ist erstanden"!) If it's anything like Kuniko Kato's stuff on Linn, or Nathaniel Bartlett's albums available via Bandcamp, it should be good.

Although (edit): turns out the same album is a buck and a half cheaper at HighResAudio.com. Cheaper still with the 15% off "EASTER" code, good through April 18.

Last edited:
Well I thought I would take one for the team and purchased the DSD64 Beethoven. I don't know anything about Beethoven except he is some cat who has a lot of white statues of his head.
So I have no idea if it is a good recording or not, definitely 5.1, weak in the rears. If it was my kind of music, surround wise, not really that great.
Beethoven s Testaments of 1802.jpg

definitely 5.1, weak in the rears. If it was my kind of music, surround wise, not really that great.

That's too bad; 2L's stuff is usually fully immersive. Hard to do a lot with just two instruments in a chamber setting. though. Appreciate your report.

Morten Lindberg of 2L makes some of the most amazing recordings I have come by.

Hints on 2L recordings.

1) Buy the physical spinning disks, and get all the different formats for the same price as a single download. I rip the full ISO and extract what formats fits my use.

2) 2L has the most amazing and elaborate FREE HiRes Download - test bench
Stereo & 5.1 Surround, from Redbook up to DXD

3) FREE download of 2L Electronic Scores

Yes, I', just a fan . . .

Did they deliver the Beethoven Testaments compressed in a zip file or did you get playable files?

Very encouraging. HDTracks doesn't have DSD256 of that title available in surround like NativeDSD - but 24 bit 192k in surround is excellent and basically analogous to DSD128. It's about 10% cheaper at HDTracks too but you seldom get a booklet there. It's very exciting that they are investing in high res surround downloads. Let's hope they will eventually support more of the music genre!

Their site is not well edited or managed apparently -LOL
OVER 20% OFF ERIC CLAPTON, CREAM, LOUD DONALDSON AND MORE! 36
They must be referring to previously unreleased recordings by Lance Loud and his band “Loud.” 🤣

LOL is Pup’s:
a)totally over the top and uncalled for response to the earlier post
b)totally over the top yet clearly perfect response to the earlier post

Back