Hergest Ridge in 5.1 in Feb

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DVD:
Hergest Ridge (Part One) 2010 5.1 Stereo Mix by Mike Oldfield*
Hergest Ridge (Part Two) 2010 5.1 Stereo Mix by Mike Oldfield*

DVD:
Ommadawn (Part One) 2010 5.1 Stereo Mix by Mike Oldfield*
Ommadawn (Part Two)/On Horseback 2010 5.1 Stereo Mix by Mike Oldfield*

What does she mean by "5.1 Stereo Mix?" And any idea if this is DVD-A, DTS, DD?

Why can't they include the original quad mixes as well? Even in SQ they sound pretty cool, I would love to hear a discrete version.

There is a new thread on tubular.net http://tubular.net/forums/hr-ommadawn-reissue-details-confirmed--?act=ST&f=41&t=9609 which also has links to the new art work. There was a question about the abscence of In Dulci Jubilo (for Maureen) and Spanish Tune from the deluxe edition. That was a mistake in the press release and they ARE included which is good news.
I suspect that 2010 5.1 Stereo Mix by Mike Oldfield is also a mistake but I've asked the question on tubular.net
So what next incanatation including the long lost SQ mix?

Looks like there are going to be a few surround releases to see me up to the King Crimson discs later in the year. order in with Amazon for the deluxe editions.

The new Mike Oldfield site has now has links to order these, including track listings and times. Scanning through them I was dismayed to see the new 2010 Stereo and 5.1 mixes of Hergest Ridge Pt1 are a full 2 minutes shorter than the original running time. The 1974 original mix is listed at the original full length.

So it seems Mr Oldfield, if these timings are to be believed, has lopped over 2 minutes out of Hergest Ridge Pt 1, so thats one less sale I'm afraid..I'll stick to my quad mix.

R E Faust

So it seems Mr Oldfield, if these timings are to be believed, has lopped over 2 minutes out of Hergest Ridge Pt 1, so thats one less sale I'm afraid..I'll stick to my quad mix.

Didn't Robert Fripp tidy up Moonchild on ITCOCK becuause it made it more palatable to him than the original, personally if that is what teh artist wants to do with his work tighten up what he could not originally do with the available technology thats fine by me. At least you are also getting the origial stereo mix as well albeit on CD.

Didn't Robert Fripp tidy up Moonchild on ITCOCK becuause it made it more palatable to him than the original, personally if that is what teh artist wants to do with his work tighten up what he could not originally do with the available technology thats fine by me. At least you are also getting the origial stereo mix as well albeit on CD.

Not quite..only the new stereo mix was edited, to remove the improvisational section in the middle, the surround and other versions in the release were full length. Not quite sure how that would apply to Hergest Ridge though...there isn't really any thing in pt 1 comparable to the improvisation in 'Moonchild'. It also has nothing to do with what technology was available at the time, the same could have been done on the original..but wasn't. If you feel Mr Fripp was justified in editing what was originally a group work unilaterally then that is of course your perogative. I prefer to hear original works as they were intended when created.

I think its a shame that it seems we won't get that from Mr Oldfield, but if you're happy then I'm sure he'll be more than willing to take your cash.

R E Faust

I'm afraid I agree MO does tend to milk things somewhat. I fully expect in the near future to get an SACD or DVD-A of the current releases "for the audiophiles" and perhaps extended to full length. 2 mins is a long time to take away from what is essentialy one (well two) peices I hope it doesn't spoil it.

I don't understand your rant. The original versions are included and hey, a new mix is a new mix :). There was plenty superfluous repetition in HR that was arguably omissible.

Official Store (euro section)

Rant? That's a very pejorative term for my post. I was informing people here that the surround mix of part one seems to have had over 3 minutes removed. I already have the original mix, as well as the quad mix - which is reputedly some kind of quasi-quad, not truly discreet, which is partly why I think it's a shame parts have been removed. But as I said before, if you're happy to buy it then good for you.

'Rant' over

R E Faust

Back