How did you get your first record player?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Circular Vibes

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Since 2002/2003
Hi There fellow QQ'ers! For those of you over at Vinyl Engine, you may have seen this already but I wanted to post among my friends here too.

In honour of my kindergarten teacher's passing, I want to know how you got your first record player and what your first records were. I ask because my teacher, Miss E. Clare wrote my parents a note "telling" them to "buy this kid a record player as he has worn out two of ours". I remember that back then teachers had to provide their own machines and when hers broke, she borrowed the first grade teacher's changer. We were getting a new school built and it wasn't finished yet so we had kindergarten and first grade in the gymnasium, divided by old wooden bulletin boards. We got the front half, which included the stage, where I would take charge of a portable machine that was weird because you had to "click" the arm to the right to make it turn on, then play the record, and when it was done, it would "click" off and you could change the record and start all over again. There were a lot of coloured 78's in picture sleeves, and one little 45 I will never forget, a gold label re-issue of Popcorn by Hot Butter. My parents for once paid attention and on Christmas morning, under the tree, was a big present. I remember unwrapping it and wondering what was inside that big box. I can still remember the excitement of seeing the picture of a record player on the box and ripping it open. It was a sturdy blue plastic machine from Sears with white parts inside and a red, white and blue terry cloth covered speaker. The next prezzy handed to me was unwrapped even faster! It was two book and records from Disneyland. Pecos Bill and Winnie The Pooh and the Honey Tree. I played them a couple times and got bored, as kids do, however, being Christmas day, we went down the street to Grandma's place. I KNEW there was more records there! Being the brazen, but not rude, kid that I was, I asked if there were any old records I could have. I made off with a couple singles. That led to my relatives giving me all the cast off discs for years to come. I remember many of them and who gave them to me. They are still among my favourites of all time. I applaud you if you read my long winded, abbreviated post, and hope you can regale me in your tale of musical bliss.

Rest In Peace Miss Elisabeth Clare(1918-2015) and thank you for all the pleasure your gift of music gave to me.

Girlfriend's dad gave me his after a conversation about vinyl. After we broke up, she asked for it back, but her dad insisted I keep it, because I had better taste in music and more records!

First albums:

Phil Keaggy - The Master and the Musician
Rush - Hemispheres
Paul Simon - Rhymin' Simon
Pacabel's Canon in D
Billy Joel - An Innocent Man

It was a Toshiba portable stereo, 1968, mostly solid state with two tubes, I bought it from a German sailor on a Swedish cargo ship. It was made for the Japanese market (50hz) and on our electrical current (60 hz) ran fast, the tubes failed after a few months, something else inside stopped working, all probably due to the current difference.

The first one that was actually mine, I bought myself when I was about 13. It was a very cheap Matsui midi system and it had a plastic platter with no mat, and a plastic arm with piezo electric cartridge: the sort of set up that could jump a lot on a 45rpm maxi-single. I had dominated my parents' turntable for years before that. (I even had it in my bedroom at some point.)

Mine was a Stromberg Carlson
portable
I played a 78 rpm Dogface Soldier
From To Hell And Back
Over and over again
until I could buy another 78
And then about a year later 45s came out
And I through away my old 78 rock & Roll 78s ????????????? did I do it arrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggggg

Hee! I love this stuff.

Mine was a Garrard 40B with a Shure M55E cartridge, purchased from a friend in high school with my paper route money, plugged into my just-built Heathkit AA-29 integrated amp (worked the first time - no smoke!) and a couple of nasty little Jensen 2-way enclosures that had been "upgraded" with Radio Shack drivers. :rolleyes: I soon ditched them for a pair of Large Advents*, and then we were off & running. :smokin

My first LP was Jethro Tull's Stand Up. I still have it, along with the rest of my vinyl. I don't listen to it anymore; hell, it would take some head-scratching just to figure out how to connect a turntable to my current digital-fundamentalist rig. But no way would I think of selling any of it. There's just too many memories there - I can still remember the day I bought most of those old records! Stand Up even has my name written on the back, in my mom's handwriting, faded but still legible after 45 years - she wanted to make sure I got it back when I took it to my 8th-grade graduation party! How could I part with that? Besides, one of these days I will have a turntable hooked up again. I still have a handful of titles that will never be available in any other format.

-- Jim

*P.S. I still have the Advents too (looking at one right now as I type this). Well, sort-of, anyway. The old foam-surround woofers are long gone, crossovers are bypassed, and the "fried-egg" tweeters are still there, but only to seal the boxes, which now contain Kenwood 12" car stereo woofers. In other words, I've converted them into subwoofers. The old utility (vinyl-finish) boxes look pretty dreadful - I was using them in my van when I wrecked it, one of them even has chunks missing. But that was also the night I checked into detox, 35 years ago (haven't had a drink since), so these old speakers have literally been with me through the best and the worst of times. One of the few perks of being terminally single is you get to have whatever sort of wack-ass, ridiculous-looking stereo gear you want in the living room, so by god the ancient Advents are staying! Besides, when properly tuned they make amazing subs - even the classic Advent bass was never like this!

Holy crap, it's 4 AM.

Well, mine was some sort of Zenith console system that my parents gave me. I had a bedroom in the attic loft and I had that up there and I thought I had the world by the tail. I really have no clue about model....but I played that system to death....of course, I borrowed all my folks LPs as my pappy was huge into music and all. I suppose the first LP I totally wore out on that system was The Ventures - it was called Knock Me Out...or something like that. First LP I purchased with my own money and played was Queen News Of The World....of course, before the LP I had literally dozens of little 45's.

First player I purchased myself was a Kenwood...but I'd be lying if I said I remember the model. I don't.

Fun little thread!

Well I've become fascinated with records and music at a very young age. I got my first mini console when I was three years old. I do not remember the brand, but I loved that thing. My mum had taken the time to explain to me that I had to be extra careful with the records and the needle. I would sit and listen whilst studying every detail from the album cover. My first records all came from my mother's collection (which was actually not a collection, but just a few records she had), and to this day, I still listen to many of them. Abbey Road and Yellow Submarine by The Beatles, a Roger Whitaker album of his hits sung in French (my family is French Canadian), a Polydor comp of all those amazing German Instrumental Music giants (James Last, Roberto Delgado, etc...) called One More Time (as seen on one of the photos) which I played endlessly along with a 45 by The Ventures (Blue Star/Comin' Home Baby) which is still my favourite Surf instrumental. I also had the following Christmas albums which I still enjoy to this day: Percy Faith's Music Of Christmas (Stereo), Buddy Cole's Pipes And Chimes Of Christmas, Frank De Vol's The Old Sweet Songs Of Christmas and Al Hirt's The Sound Of Christmas. The first time I saw a record as a wee lad, my life was forever changed.

First Sound System 1972 c.jpg

Cool thread!

RustyandI almost didn't get a like. YOU THREW OUT WHAT!!*&%$#@!!????

Jim, the Oldbie, did your copy of Stand Up actually stand up when you opened the gatefold?

First, I listened to my records on my Grandparents' mono console. Then, I got a 7" mono reel deck. I was 7, too. Then, my folks got an AM/FM mpx/SW/Stereo record changer. My Dad got tired of listening to my Rock n Roll crap, so I got a stereo portable for 8th grade graduation. It was a GE Wildcat:

images-1.jpeg

The next year, I got a cassette deck.

Five years later, I bought my first turntable, a Pioneer PLA-35, single play automatic, replete with hanging anti-skate weight and an M91ed Shure. The next year, I upgraded with an AT-14 Audio-Technica, and a CD-4 demogitator.

Unknown-9.jpeg

My first record was a 78 of a Sea Shanty by a folk group which featured a then-unknown Alan Arkin:
images-2.jpeg

Although I had lots of rock singles, my first rock LP was a mono copy of Something New by The Beatles, when it had just been released. It was the only mono LP I bought in the 60's! All the rest were in glorious 2ch!:
images-3.jpeg

Several surround systems (Quad & 5.1), 20,000+ CD's, 5,000+ LP's, thousands of mix tapes, a few master tapes I recorded, and mountains of gear later, I realize that I am truly insane. All this stuff is the proof! And I don't want to be cured...

When I was much younger than 14 my parents had a little mono record player (not my mine) that I used play this one on:

Chipmunks.jpg

...used to take my Troll dolls (after all the they already had the requisite long hair) and set them up on the speaker of the player along with toothpaste tops and thread spindle drums with toothpick button cymbals and drumsticks along with paper guitars I drew and cutout and enjoyed my first rock concerts in my mind, a decade before I would ever see a real one.

My first record player was a RCA "suitcase" model I got for Christmas...you could detach the speakers and spread them out or angle them..I played the crap out of that thing...it never malfunctioned.....my dream of getting a reference turntable(at the time this meant a Thorens)never materialized...I started spending my money on other things as I got older..I did buy a couple of Technics turntables....the picture below looks just like my first player..

IMG_0637.jpg

Cool thread!

Hee! I got so many other things I should be doing right now...

...Jim, the Oldbie, did your copy of Stand Up actually stand up when you opened the gatefold?

It did, and it still does!

GoodGlue!.jpg

...I got a stereo portable for 8th grade graduation. It was a GE Wildcat:

View attachment 22289

Ha! The cute girl next door to me had one just like that. Come to think, she was a bit of a wildcat her own self! Us neighborhood boys used to literally jump off the roof of her house in our attempts to impress her & her cute friends. Okay, there was a low spot over the front door, but still - you girls made us boys go a little nuts sometimes! We're lucky we can still walk. :confused:

...Although I had lots of rock singles, my first rock LP was a mono copy of Something New by The Beatles, when it had just been released:
View attachment 22292

Yay! My older sisters were buying records way before I started, but they definitely had that one!

Several surround systems (Quad & 5.1), 20,000+ CD's, 5,000+ LP's, thousands of mix tapes, a few master tapes I recorded, and mountains of gear later, I realize that I am truly insane. All this stuff is the proof! And I don't want to be cured...

Holy polycarbonates! That is impressive. I wish I coulda afforded quad back in the day - I'm playing catch-up now, but this new stuff sounds so good I don't really mind.

-- Jim

As a toddler, I was constantly trying to play my parents' record player. My Dad worked for Westinghouse at the time, so he bought me a small phonograph when I was 2 (so I'm told) which I had no trouble operating. In this photo, I'm probably 3. I wish the phonograph was open, but this is the only known photo of it. I remember having access to albums that I could play, but they "belonged" to the family (or older siblings). The first album I can remember as being "mine" was "Something New" by The Beatles, which I got when I was 6.

jd_kid001.jpg

Back