How did you get your first record player?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bose 301's were still better than lots of "no-name" stuff back then.

KEF 104.2's!! Now you're talking some really nice speakers. I sold those and Bose 301's.

I know this thread is asking about record players but without good speakers you got nothing.
Yes the Kef 104.2's have been really good to me, I still have them and same speakers that I bought 30 years ago. I have had 1000's of good listening hours out of them. As I got different speakers for my 5.1, I now have my Kef 104.2's in my bedroom and my wife has been kind enough to let me have my almost original system there, speakers on a long coffee table at the foot of the bed facing me when I am in bed, still love the sound of those speakers.

I got a Soundesign record player and 8-track recorder (with headphones), Three Friends, and Bridge Over Troubled Water for a combined (December) birthday and Christmas present. Looking back...wow.

I got my first record player in 1952 for Christmas. I don't remember the make and model but I sincerely doubt it was 5.1. Looks like mono to me. I don't remember the names of the records either.

Tom 1952-06 (2).jpg

Anyone remember these? This was my first record player. I thought it was the coolest thing ever. :music

[video=youtube;AAKZ-O70wNg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAKZ-O70wNg[/video]

Can't see the names of the records but they are Little Golden Records which I also had as a kid only a few years later. I was born in 1952.

Doug

Love this thread! My first record player was a changer that only played 7 inch 45 rpms! I inherited it from my grandfather. Also inherited a few "albums" that were box sets of 45's. I remember having the Nutcracker Suite with a terrifying picture of a nutcracker on the front, and some musicals like Showboat. Wish I had pictures.

THEN I graduated to a white and red Show and Tell like HWKN just described above!

First proper stereo record player owned was made by General Electric (yuck!)

I worked all summer to save up for a small, simple combo record player / cassette player and Rush "Archives"

I still regret I had to leave all my vinyl behind when I moved to Los Angeles...hopefully someone appreciated getting some of the rarities I had.

I worked all summer to save up for a small, simple combo record player / cassette player and Rush "Archives"

I still regret I had to leave all my vinyl behind when I moved to Los Angeles...hopefully someone appreciated getting some of the rarities I had like Five Live Yardbirds, U2-3...I'd go on, but I'll break down in tears...

Same here....back in 1980, I had to sell nearly all my vinyl to make a car payment. It was a $1500 payment......farm loan type thing....

Same here....back in 1980, I had to sell nearly all my vinyl to make a car payment. It was a $1500 payment......farm loan type thing....

Sold my good vinyl, including all my quad lps, when my first kid was born to buy furnishings and toys! A friend drove off with all my Q8s in the '80's.

To quote Steven Wilson song title, maybe we need a "My Book of Regrets" thread!

First record player - Dansette (1962)

First records (45 rpm singles)

Frank Ifield - I Remember You
Frank Ifield - Lovesick Blues
Chris Montez - Some Kinda Fun
Hank Locklin - We're Gonna Go Fishin'
The Searchers - Sweets For My Sweet
The Beatles - From Me To You

Back