How is Dolby Atmos Doing? (2023)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don’t think this interview has achieved much apart from tarnishing the appearance of someone I held in high regard. He comes across as a curmudgeon- with pride inhibiting his capacity to grow.
Yeah, it reminds me of Mark Waldrep dedicating an entire chapter in his book ranting about MQA. Really not enlightening beyond showing how strong an opinion can be.

I didn't watch the video, but some of the comments truly want to make me put my head through a wall:
  • "We humans hear in stereo"
  • "I could never ever do an ATMOS rig unless I had millions"
  • "I also looked into that because a client wanted an album mixed in atmos. I knew he was just hyped by the new format and I ended up simply using an upscaler. The time needed to mix such an album in atmos would be at least 5 times longer compared to stereo and probably 3 times longer than 5.1."
  • "I don't want to listen to my music as if I were "immersed" in the center of the band or group making the music. That's not the usual thing to do. The viewer doesn't sit between the musicians, but in front of them... and for that stereo is the right thing to do."
I never watched the video but points #1 and #4 are requirements for acceptance to the Steve Hoffman Forum 🤣

I never watched the video but points #1 and #4 are requirements for acceptance to the Steve Hoffman Forum 🤣
Hasn't been my experience over there - those types pop up every now and then, but there is a sizable group of surround-friendly posters there that (for whatever reason) haven't migrated over here yet.

Hasn't been my experience over there - those types pop up every now and then, but there is a sizable group of surround-friendly posters there that (for whatever reason) haven't migrated over here yet.
That's good to know...I have been away from forums for 4 years...but I did hear someone say there is more "tolerance" for surround over there...they do have some excellent posters.

Last edited:
That's good to know...I have been away from forums for 4 years...but I did hear someone say there is more "tolerance" for surround over there...they do have some excellent posters.
There's good people everywhere. But I found the SH forums not all that friendly years ago, as if you had to be in some sort of clique to get any response from anyone.
Haven't been back since those days, besides I don't have time to peruse any more forums lately.
Don't know how it goes over there these days, but I don't much care either. To hear there's more tolerance is good, but I'm fine here and elsewhere.

I'm so relieved to learn that we only hear in stereo, and that HRTF is only in my head ... and around my shoulders, in my pinna.

Now I can stop looking for a studio to do my HRTF couch file. :rolleyes:

I'm so relieved to learn that we only hear in stereo, and that HRTF is only in my head ... and around my shoulders, in my pinna.

Now I can stop looking for a studio to do my HRTF couch file. :rolleyes:
Actually we really only directionalise one at a time, even 2 simultaneously fails if they are in a similar band

You know...if Atmos is supposed to be a scalable format...what's the logic in limiting mixing to people with 12 speakers or more? I mean, it's not like all of them are churning out quality Atmos mixes...only a few...

I wanna see what happens when someone mixes an Atmos record on headphones? How does it scale then?

Then again, I've never seen others mix Atmos...I've played around with it once (AP Bowling) and if people aren't putting stuff in the virtual room, there won't be anything to scale. I should see some YT videos and see if anybody is doing it wrong. It's a virtual room, go wild!

The comments are pretty laughable though. It’s baffling to me that anyone would think Sarah McLachlan’s Surfacing album and Tom Petty’s “I Won’t Back Down” are bad Atmos mixes, for me those are two of the best.

…and no way does it take 90 hours(!!) to mix a three-minute song in Atmos. That is just a ludicrous claim.

The comments are pretty laughable though. It’s baffling to me that anyone would think Sarah McLachlan’s Surfacing album and Tom Petty’s “I Won’t Back Down” are bad Atmos mixes, for me those are two of the best.
But the problem is real. We already have plenty of fake-Atmos mixes. This will make it worse.

Back