How many of you can play MC flac files directly?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't remember if or when I answered this post but I rip all multich discs to my computers drives.
I play all multichannel "flacs, wav, dsd" from these files with various players in Linux and Windoz..
My favorites are Strawberry, Cantata, Fubar2000.
Yes I'd love to be able to download in multich flacs and be able to skip all the ripping and meta data editing, at least as much is possible. ;)

OK, I have a subquestion: Who can play 7.1 files? I can rip them, I can download them, but I can't play them.

Hi folks!

Anyone in here who have an idea how many who can
1) play multichannel flac files directly
2) turn mc flac into discs
3) only listen to surround sound from DVD/BD/SACD/Q8 etc.?

Question is can we tell bands to sell they mc music as digital download from their own website or eg. Bandcamp or too few with surround gear CAN play mc flac.

Maybe this could be a poll? (if I knew how)

I generally play everything from KODI (I.e. I dump EVERYTHING including BDs, DVDs and CDs [using MakeMKV] and a special BD drive that can read everything including 4K UHD discs) and even use my Macbook Pro to capture 24/96 versions of my LPs (that I can de-click and keep a clean copy for posterity even if I wear the LP out). Then there's home videos, photo scans of all my photo albums dating back to the 1800s (some OLD photos there of ancestors) and they're ALL on my Mac Mini Server available to any TV/Projector in the house (4 rooms) as well as a simple copy to a phone or other device (USB stick for car for music, etc.)

Basically, that means I can play almost any file format directly from KODI devices including FLAC, MKV dumps of Blu-Rays like Yello's Point album in Atmos, etc. Other than the movie Red Tails in Auro-3D (which is in PCM that KODI can't seem to decode without a wrapper), I haven't had to play a movie off a disc in well... YEARS save 3D movies, which I now also play off a Zidoo X9S and three attached hard drives for my 240+ 3D movies. So I no longer need to play 3D "discs" either. They're all MKV files now on those hard drives. The discs are kept in boxes as backups.

Last edited:
Don't remember if or when I answered this post but I rip all multich discs to my computers drives.
I play all multichannel "flacs, wav, dsd" from these files with various players in Linux and Windoz..
My favorites are Strawberry, Cantata, Fubar2000.
Yes I'd love to be able to download in multich flacs and be able to skip all the ripping and meta data editing, at least as much is possible. ;)
here's one of mine, there's a download button top right
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hry5pf4r6v5576d/Enoch the Rad - QUAD INSANITY.flac?dl=0

Curious, are you able to play an Atmos file with JRiver MC26? I would love to learn how to do that.
Yeah, me too!

Last I checked the Atmos decoder codec was still being withheld from all software media player apps. Only released to certain hardware pro install interfaces and AVR makers to keep this tied to hardware sales at present.

I'd actually hook up a couple interfaces for the channels and hang more speakers if someone wants to ever release the format not tied to proprietary hardware.

Some people are using their computer for just a file server for their AVR. You can play the encoded stream "pass through" to one of the proprietary AVR products from a mkv or m4a container file. It's the AVR decoding it, not the media player. The media player is doing what's usually called "pass through mode" delivering the still encoded data to the AVR. You need the proprietary decoder built into the hardware AVR.

Now this is where someone tells me I haven't been paying attention and posts a link to download the decoder or some media player with it included, right? :D

Yeah, me too!

Last I checked the Atmos decoder codec was still being withheld from all software media player apps. Only released to certain hardware pro install interfaces and AVR makers to keep this tied to hardware sales at present.

I'd actually hook up a couple interfaces for the channels and hang more speakers if someone wants to ever release the format not tied to proprietary hardware.

Some people are using their computer for just a file server for their AVR. You can play the encoded stream "pass through" to one of the proprietary AVR products from a mkv or m4a container file. It's the AVR decoding it, not the media player. The media player is doing what's usually called "pass through mode" delivering the still encoded data to the AVR. You need the proprietary decoder built into the hardware AVR.

Now this is where someone tells me I haven't been paying attention and posts a link to download the decoder or some media player with it included, right? :D

That got me thinking - I can play individual video files in Atmos (the mt2s') from a server, but not the 7.1 FLACs.

It passes the 7.1 but it dosent pass the Atmos metadata, at least not in the current stable version AFAIK

Atmos passes just fine here (MKV) as well as DTS:X and Auro-3D (as long a it's in a wrapper like DTS:X.

That got me thinking - I can play individual video files in Atmos (the mt2s') from a server, but not the 7.1 FLACs.
FLAC is limited to 8 channels. So if you converted an Atmos file (7.1.4 and however many object elements) to FLAC, you would only get the core 7.1 channels. That's assuming you had a decoder codec in that format conversion. If you don't have the codec, only the 7.1 core stream component is preserved and you lose the height and all the object data. That's likely what happened with the FLAC conversion.

Anyway...

Do you actually have a decoder codec?!
When you're playing an Atmos file successfully from a m4a file, are you decoding that with a media player and getting all the channels? And specifically, you are NOT decoding with an AVR by doing pass through mode with your media player and using the AVR hardware to decode?

Again, we're not interested in pass through to an AVR here! We need the decoder codec in the media player app.

Back