How much of an issue is 50i video in BluRay for the US market these days?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil Palfreyman

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
If a BluRay is authored using HD video filmed in 25fps and encoded in 50i format, rather than 24, 23.976 or 29.97 I understand that there should be no problem with playback in the UK or Europe, as players sold here have to be able to cope with 50i as well as the much more prevalent US standards of 24, 23.976 or 29.97p

However, I also understand that historically there was no such requirement in the US/Japanese player market and that 50i discs can’t be viewed in the US or Canada without a framerate converter built into the player. It will either send out a signal the display can’t show properly, or just default to a black screen. I'm also aware that framerate converters are getting more and more common.

Soooo ...the million dollar question I'm posing is: How much of a problem is this likely to be? Are there a lot of players around in the US that are incapable of playing 50i content or is it pretty much a non-issue these days?

If you haven't done so already, send a PM and/or email to Neil Wilkes, cause if there's anyone who would know the answer, it's him. :)

All modern TVs can handle 25/50, 30/60Hz (it's easier for manufacturers to use same electronics). I'd assume it's the same for BD players too.

Thanks for the replies, guys. I'll try Neil, though he seems to be a very busy guy these days so not too sure how often he drops by here!

The availability of "modern" kit that can play any format is a key factor in the picture, Garry. Many of the horror stories about incompatibility seem to be from 2010 or earlier, though there are still quite a few more recent posts about BBC programmes on BD encoded at 50i.

Back