Huey Lewis & The News' "Sports" and "Fore!" Going Dolby Atmos

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soundboy

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
Johnny Colla of The News posted the below yesterday on Facebook....

I was ‘In The Room’ this month working with Bob Clearmountain on upcoming Huey Lewis & The News ’Sports’ and ‘Fore!’ Dolby Atmos remixes. It’s always a thrill and an honor to witness a master at his craft!

american-psycho-patrick-bateman.gif

Always!

I’m not on Facebook; but would someone please put Paul at SDE for some BDs in their Facebook ear for us.
As a lover of both records, I'm skeptical that I can be objective about it, but it seems that they would be huge sellers for the SDE Surround Series.
@PaulatSDE reads this forum! He is probably aware of these mixes. Doesn't mean his interest is there, or that the proper deal can be struck.

But I'd sure be over the moon about it. Or if the label decides to pursue a physical release through any means.

As a lover of both records, I'm skeptical that I can be objective about it, but it seems that they would be huge sellers for the SDE Surround Series.
@PaulatSDE reads this forum! He is probably aware of these mixes. Doesn't mean his interest is there, or that the proper deal can be struck.

But I'd sure be over the moon about it. Or if the label decides to pursue a physical release through any means.
I would buy them in a heartbeat....

Capitol -> UMG 🤨

I'm really not one that follows which label does what, where and how, just that some are more inclined for allowing such things.

So any Ghost of a chance with UMG?

Having seen this news I wanted to refresh my knowledge of the band's releases and the tracks on these albums. I had not remembered that The Power Of Love, probably their best known song, was released as a single and seems to have been included only on 'International' versions of the Fore album. Now, whether that means all releases outside of the US and perhaps the UK is entirely unclear. But if the originally released version is receiving the Atmos treatment it may not include their best known song. Let's hope that it is either going to be a bonus track or else mixed in International waters!

Having seen this news I wanted to refresh my knowledge of the band's releases and the tracks on these albums. I had not remembered that The Power Of Love, probably their best known song, was released as a single and seems to have been included only on 'International' versions of the Fore album. Now, whether that means all releases outside of the US and perhaps the UK is entirely unclear. But if the originally released version is receiving the Atmos treatment it may not include their best known song. Let's hope that it is either going to be a bonus track or else mixed in International waters!

Power of Love was on the Back to the Future soundtrack and thus not on either of the albums in the US. I just stumbled upon Fore in my vinyl collection yesterday, actually. Sports was the better album, IMO. I Want A New Drug album version has that full, awesome, glorious guitar solo that is so overlooked (kind of like My Sharona by The Knack).

I think it's worth mentioning the fact that Bob Clearmountain was the original mixing engineer for most of Sports (everything except for I Want a New Drug) and the track The Power of Love from Fore, which augurs well for the chances of these mixes retaining the vibe of the original recordings. Clearmountain was one of the pioneers of the "big '80s" sound at Power Station studios in NYC, and that big reverb/gated drum sound is an integral part of the sound of these albums. Getting those nuances just right could very well be the difference between an average mix and a great one, and there's no doubt that Clearmountain is the man for this job.

Man this has been one of my dream releases in surround sound, I'm pretty sure that I mentioned it on that "dream release" wish-list thread here. I can't wait to hear this!
I also really hope we get a lossless option, ...doesn't need to be a Bluray, just give us lossless please! I am glad they at least got Clearmountain to mix it instead of some hack, ...I'm not particularly a fan of his (sometimes) heavy-handed use of the Center channel, ...but as long as the mix is lossless & discrete, I will be happy.

Well, well, well! Didn't see this coming. I was an absolute HLN extremist for about 10 years from the mid-90s. Collected every last thing they ever did and wore it all out, fantastic stuff! Given the band's indifference to anything "Remix", "Deluxe" or "Box Set", it's a really nice surprise this is coming.

Re. Power of Love: not only did the European pressings of "Fore!" include that song, but the German CD from 1986 was the only time the extended guitar solo was ever available on CD. "Power of Love" runs 4:21 minutes on that CD as opposed to the standard 3:59, giving us an extra 25ish seconds of delicious guitar playing:

None of that was ever advertised in any way, so my guess is the long version ended up on that German CD by mistake. It's so little-known today that I can't even find an entry for that CD on Discogs, even though it was the de facto bog standard CD version of the album available in any German music store in the 80s and 90s. I'd wager it's still easy to find on flea markets around here, too.

Sports and Fore! were certainly the pinnacle of their career and practically handed them 80s dominance, but I always thought Small World was the true gem in their catalogue. Just listen to "Slammin'" or "Small World Part 2". Oh, and "Hard at Play", another tour de force! Ah, good times.

Anyway, this is ballin' news. The song "Naturally" alone is naturally a prime candidate for surround. Can't wait!

And a Tenement Symphony deluxe edition is on its way too, so who knows, perhaps an Atmos mix for that one too :) Today is a good day.

Back