Huey Lewis & The News' "Sports" and "Fore!" Going Dolby Atmos

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool news! 🏌️‍♂️

Great that Bob Clearmountain is at the helm. Interesting that 2 songs from Sports had already been mixed into Dolby Atmos a few years back but now some seem to be taken down.

In total there were 4 Huey Lewis & The News Atmos mixes I think?

I Want A New Drug
The Heart Of Rock & Roll
The Power Of Love
Do You Believe In Love

I can only find Do You Believe In Love at the moment though... I guess they must be including The Power Of Love as a bonus track on Fore! as it would still be available otherwise.... It was a pretty good mix already (by Mills Logan?) so I'm sure these albums are going to sound great.

Very much hoping we get a lossless release...

Cool news! 🏌️‍♂️

Great that Bob Clearmountain is at the helm. Interesting that 2 songs from Sports had already been mixed into Dolby Atmos a few years back but now some seem to be taken down.

I Want A New Drug
The Heart Of Rock & Roll
The Power Of Love
Do You Believe In Love

I can only find Do You Believe In Love at the moment though... I guess they must be including The Power Of Love as a bonus track on Fore! as it would still be available otherwise.... It was a pretty good mix already (by Mills Logan?) so I'm sure these albums are going to sound great.

On Tidal, only “Do You Believe In Love” is still available in Atmos. No immersive mix engineer credit for this track.

The US version sounds totally different than the longer German version; a tighter & punchier beat, different effects also, probably a different take & mix etc.

Quite possibly. The actual origin of that "long" version is this promo 12":
https://www.discogs.com/de/release/584693-Huey-Lewis-And-The-News-The-Power-Of-Love
It's actually an edited-down version of the 12" mix by John "Jellybean" Benitez, so I'd wager that explains the slightly different feel. Also, I always felt that on the German "Fore!" CD, it sounded a bit flat compared to the single version available on later Greatest Hits discs, which I put down to remastering.

Just last month Japan released 6 Huey Lewis and The News MQA stereo discs. Maybe there is reason to start selling more releases? ATMOS included?
It's funny, I stumbled on them today while looking for the 4:22 Power of Love video. Had no idea about them! An hour later: 168 Euros gone ;-)

Cool news! 🏌️‍♂️

I Want A New Drug
The Heart Of Rock & Roll
The Power Of Love
Do You Believe In Love

Those 4 songs also just happen to be the ones that were released on the RockBand game, so they have stems available. If that's the case, I'm guessing when they pulled those multi-tracks out to sub-mix & create the stems for the game, they might've been ready to go to transfer to whoever did the Atmos mixes.

Well, well, well! Didn't see this coming. I was an absolute HLN extremist for about 10 years from the mid-90s. Collected every last thing they ever did and wore it all out, fantastic stuff! Given the band's indifference to anything "Remix", "Deluxe" or "Box Set", it's a really nice surprise this is coming.

Re. Power of Love: not only did the European pressings of "Fore!" include that song, but the German CD from 1986 was the only time the extended guitar solo was ever available on CD. "Power of Love" runs 4:21 minutes on that CD as opposed to the standard 3:59, giving us an extra 25ish seconds of delicious guitar playing:

None of that was ever advertised in any way, so my guess is the long version ended up on that German CD by mistake. It's so little-known today that I can't even find an entry for that CD on Discogs, even though it was the de facto bog standard CD version of the album available in any German music store in the 80s and 90s. I'd wager it's still easy to find on flea markets around here, too.

Sports and Fore! were certainly the pinnacle of their career and practically handed them 80s dominance, but I always thought Small World was the true gem in their catalogue. Just listen to "Slammin'" or "Small World Part 2". Oh, and "Hard at Play", another tour de force! Ah, good times.

Anyway, this is ballin' news. The song "Naturally" alone is naturally a prime candidate for surround. Can't wait!

And a Tenement Symphony deluxe edition is on its way too, so who knows, perhaps an Atmos mix for that one too :) Today is a good day.

I can only hope for a physical release.
Fore is one of my all-time favorite albums!
It would be nice to also get Small World, I played it non stop for years!

I'm in for a physical release. Love Huey Lewis and the News! Fun story: when I was a kid in the 80's, and Huey was just taking off, my next door neighbor who was a jazz music nut had me check his mail while out of town. When I went over to check, there was a note on his door from "Huey and the gang" saying they stopped by to say hi but he wasn't there. I thought it a joke, but later my neighbor told me he was friends with a band member from The News. I felt stupid for missing them by minutes. Please, release these on blu-ray!!!

Huey Lewis suffered from some sort of weird physical problem called meniere's disease that would render him nearly deaf in one ear, making it difficult to do live performances. This I believe started just as his career was really taking off.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/huey-lewis-on-his-hearing-loss/
My mother has Meniere's and from the sounds (no pun intended) of it, it's flippin' horrible. At its worse, it goes beyond the constant grinding of a concrete mixer in your ears to messing up your balance so you're bed-ridden. In New Zealand (and in typical NZ fashion), they're reluctant to slice open your ears and clean out the goo whereas they'll do so readily in the US - from what I've heard. There's a decent risk of permanent damage in doing so apparently.

The Immergent Sampler has an extended version of Power Of Love in a respectable surround mix.

The Immergent Sampler has an extended version of Power Of Love in a respectable surround mix.
Wasn't that one just a dolby digital mix? I remember it being ok, but nothing special. I'll have to check it out again as I haven't listened to it in years.

Well, well, well! Didn't see this coming. I was an absolute HLN extremist for about 10 years from the mid-90s. Collected every last thing they ever did and wore it all out, fantastic stuff! Given the band's indifference to anything "Remix", "Deluxe" or "Box Set", it's a really nice surprise this is coming.

Re. Power of Love: not only did the European pressings of "Fore!" include that song, but the German CD from 1986 was the only time the extended guitar solo was ever available on CD. "Power of Love" runs 4:21 minutes on that CD as opposed to the standard 3:59, giving us an extra 25ish seconds of delicious guitar playing:

None of that was ever advertised in any way, so my guess is the long version ended up on that German CD by mistake. It's so little-known today that I can't even find an entry for that CD on Discogs, even though it was the de facto bog standard CD version of the album available in any German music store in the 80s and 90s. I'd wager it's still easy to find on flea markets around here, too.

After reading this I bought an early pressing of Fore! from an eBay seller in Germany and sure enough, got the 4:21 version of Power of Love. Cool!

Back