If you could only choose 3 artists, for their entire albums to be released in 5.1...

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of mine is already happening!!!

King Crimson!! :)
Yes
Thomas Dolby

I'd also like
Tangerine Dream
ELO
The Cure
Salmonella Dub
Porcupine Tree (I know its not going to happen, but) I want to hear the early stuff in surround.
The Alan Parsons Project
The The
Supertramp

These things are difficult to answer, as there are so many choices.
Then again, you could always go eclectic. I mean, who would not want to hear "Spiders and Snakes" by Jim Stafford in 5.1! :)

Now that you mention it, NOT the first remix that came to mind, but I do wish there were compilations of nonsense like that in 5.1 to perk up this snowy Feb afternoon.

Given a choice...one act I'd like to hear is Vangelis, the Oscar winning film composer, former member of the dreadful Aphrodite's Child, but master musician and technician behind so many interesting and influential albums like ALBEDO 0.39, HEAVEN AND HELL, SPIRAL, various soundtracks, etc. His music would be wonderful for 5.1.

Brian Eno's, too. And Roxy Music: the kind of music that is often intricate enough to make a 5.1 mix a whole new experience. Tangerine Dream: goes without saying. Some New Age music would work well, and Ray Lynch would be wonderful in 5.1, as would Enya (whose music desperately needs that expansive potential that many sound systems--and her own mixes--don't allow). Yes? Of course! Prog rock is a sensible choice for 5.1, as would be the '80s Moody Blues.

For older acts, I'd be more selective. The early Beatles and Stones would be useless in 5.1, and some of it's no big deal in stereo. I can't think of many '60s acts whose catalogs would justify such a program. Another matter once you get into the '70s, of course: Led Zeppelin would be well served, and to a degree, Neil Young, of course, whose championing of optimum sound is laudable even while his output could still use some serious tweaking and organization.

Then there is Miles Davis, who has so many great Columbia albums that the handful we do have in MC just whets the appetite for more. Heaven for me would be a serious box set gathering together all those '60s albums from SKETCHES through IN A SILENT WAY; it just seems so logical, and even the mediocre Miles would be a treat.

But I'd really like to see more compilations of varied material. When I think of all the music you never hear on the radio--even with Sirius satellite, there seems to be so much missing--that random various artists collections of material of whatever variable quality, would be a kick. But then I'm easily bored, and constantly in need of stimulation in my dotage...:D

ED :)

I've seen Cocteau Twins mentioned a couple times and they'd be great in 5.1. Albums like Blue Bell Knoll and Heaven or Las Vegas....yes please!

Jellyfish
Toto
Styx

Our musical tastes are so similar ! I already knew you were a Toto fan, but didn't know you liked Jellyfish too.
I wanted to put them in my 3. ( but couldn't sacrifice Billy Joel ) Jellyfish are the best "pop" band ever ! ( even though they only made 2 albums, besides fan club set ) They would be ideal for 5.1
Have you got Roger Joseph Manning Jr's solo releases ? They are probably even better than the groups releases ? They would be amazing in 5.1 ! If anyone likes pure melodic pop, then they are ESSENTIAL to own !!
I wish Jellyfish would reform & i hope RJM releases new solo stuff soon !!

( RJM's two solo releases...well kind of three...."Solid State Warrior"- first released in Japan, then later released in US / Europe has "The Land Of Pure Imagination", with two different tracks, and the last release "Catnip Dynamite" would be in my top 10 albums of all time, without question !
- "Robo - Sapiens" released under the name Malibu, is also excellent ( mainly instrument electronica music )

Decided i'm having a RJM & Jellyfish musical fest today ! :D

well this is an interesting one.. 3 of my top artists have already had several of my favourite albums of theirs released in 5.1..! That's Elton, Bowie and Queen, of course! Not everything made it in 5.1 sadly but I'll skip those 3 obvious candidates and go for..

1. Steely Dan,
2. Zeppelin,
3. Stevie Wonder.

For artists who's albums haven't had surround treatment (apart from one instance) that I would buy with no hesitation:

Radiohead
Prince
Muse

Judas Priest
Black Sabbath
Led Zeppelin

Back