If you could only choose 3 artists, for their entire albums to be released in 5.1...

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know I have already chosen three but there are too many excellent contenders out there so here's another three:

Eloy
Radiohead
Sigur Ros

I'd lean towards groups who have little to no surround out so far:
1- Yes
2- Zep
3- Jean Luc Ponty- I think his work would translate extremely well into surround

My cheating #4 would be Joni; I'm not sure a lot of her work would be suitable for the best surround mixes, as would the 3 above, but just having her music opened up by the surround treatment would be awesome. Turbulent Indigo would be amazing in surround.

My cheating #5 would be the Dead- including all the solo projects (which would be a substantial addition)

Hard to leave off Floyd, but since we already have their best 2... Still, Meddle is in my top 10 of albums to be done in surround.

I'd lean towards groups who have little to no surround out so far:
1- Yes
2- Zep
3- Jean Luc Ponty- I think his work would translate extremely well into surround

My cheating #4 would be Joni; I'm not sure a lot of her work would be suitable for the best surround mixes, as would the 3 above, but just having her music opened up by the surround treatment would be awesome. Turbulent Indigo would be amazing in surround.

My cheating #5 would be the Dead- including all the solo projects (which would be a substantial addition)

Hard to leave off Floyd, but since we already have their best 2... Still, Meddle is in my top 10 of albums to be done in surround.

Oooooo, Jean-Luc!!!!
How could I have missed it????
"Enigmatic Ocean" in 5.1!!!!
:smokin

No charge for dreaming...right? ;)

1) Phil Collins (Yes...ALL of his albums! First 3 or 4 albums already mixed in 5.1 if I recall the rumor-mill correctly but sitting gathering dust somewhere :howl)
2) Toto (IV is a delight on SACD and makes me long for more!)
3) Pet Shop Boys (Why they haven't jumped on the surround-sound bandwagon I'll never know :rolleyes:)

Pink Floyd but mixed by Steven (5.1) Wilson not James (2.0) Guthrie
Queen - 'The Game' in 5.1 showed theer was more to come.
Neil Young - Including CSNY and Buffalo Springfield because there is just so much back catalog.

ELO because its so multi layered.
Allman Brothers Band - Love southern Rock Nuff said.
David Bowie - Mixed by someone with more knowledge of 5.1 (Neil your a fan maybe you for that job :) )
Soft Machine - incuding ex members solo Projects Kevin Ayers Robert Wyatt, Hugh Hopper etc...

Metallica
Zeppelin
Opeth( SW 5.1 mixes)

1) Parliament/Funkadelic/George Clinton and offshoot bands (Parlet, Brides Of Funkenstein, Bootsy, Fred Wesley & The Horny Horns, Sweat Band, etc.)
2) Black Sabbath
3) Steely Dan

1. David Sylvian
2. Scott Walker (esp. last three albums)
=3. New Order
=3. The Smiths

1. Pink Floyd (Meddle! Animals!)
2. Spiritualized ("Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space" would be mind-blowing in surround)
3. Queen (So much potential here for incredible surround mixes in their catalog)

There are plenty of others, many of which have been mentioned already: The Beatles of course (though, to be honest, only the post-Rubber Soul albums lend themselves to adventurous surround mixing), Bowie, Zappa, Blue Oyster Cult, Zappa, Yes, Can....

a-ha
Oingo Boingo
Split Enz

There are so many I'd like to see but these groups would sound fantastic in surround followed closely by Gerry Rafferty, Squeeze, The Shoes and The Tubes, to name a few more.

We can only hope for more channels than 5.1.

For me, I'd say:

Dead Can Dance
Led Zeppelin
Steely Dan

In the past I would have said:
King Crimson :)
The Beatles (not much potential for the pre-1964 albums)
Yes (coming soon!)

Back