If you could only choose 3 artists, for their entire albums to be released in 5.1...

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And I'll do a bonus one for R&B/Disco/Fusion

The Crusaders
Kool & The Gang
Chic

Other than the Beatles...

Frank Zappa
Kate Bush
Steely Dan

(Donna Summer.... i tried... I tried.... couldn't do it)

Decided not to list bands that have been mentioned. I would love to hear all the bands that have been listed. I want to hear artists with big catalogs that I thought would be interesting.

Elvis Costello
Joe Jackson
Sloan

ELO (I remember waiting for the Quad 8-track of "Eldorado" that was never released)
Yes
Supertramp (With all of the A&M Quad titles, why "Crime of The Century" and "Even In The Quietest Moments" were never released in Quad still baffles me)

Crime was released near the tail end of Quad and really didn't begin to sell well until '77. Likely I wouldn't have heard it that early, except that I got a promo. I started turning lots of people on to it. had it sold briskly at the outset, it probably would have been a CD-4/Q8 release.

ELO (I remember waiting for the Quad 8-track of "Eldorado" that was never released)
Yes
Supertramp (With all of the A&M Quad titles, why "Crime of The Century" and "Even In The Quietest Moments" were never released in Quad still baffles me)

The Beatles (Going with the flow here, but Love was a great taste of what their catalog could sound like in 5.1. With new Beatles products every few years I expect this might actually happen, one of these days.)
Yes (Not their whole catalog maybe, we can skip the 80s and 90s, but Going for the One? Close to the Edge? Relayer? Yes, please!)
Dead Can Dance (Too bad they didn't do any 5.1 when they remastered their back catalog for SACD a few years ago.)

I've seen a few mentions of Cocteau Twins, and I looooove them, but their sound is so dense with layered vocals and guitars that I tend to think that may be one catalog best left in stereo. Of course I'd be glad to be proven wrong!

Yes- At least through Tormato, built for surround.
Led Zeppelin or Hendrix- Close to universal choices I think, and they would be relatively huge sellers.
Steely Dan- First 5......the best. I like the DTS conversions that had been done of the first 3 but.....these have been up there with early Genesis on my all time Wish List since 5.1 was invented.
The Band- Nah, a top 2 band for me, but not cut out for surround.
Jimmy Rogers- How about that yodel spinning around the room.......

Stones, Beatles, & ......................................................................................

Since most of us are way over quota anyway, I'm going to add

Walter/Wendy Carlos

Just having the full Tron Soundtrack in Surround would be worth it.

Since everyone else is adding to their list, I will, too. With over 20,000 albums, surely there are others:

4- Everything But the Girl
5- Frank Zappa
6- Eurythmics
7- Chicago
8- Moby Grape
9- Dire Straits
10 - Miles Davis

Although I own over 500 Miles albums, I hesitated because much of his early stuff was mono only.
1- Beatles
2- Santana
3- Steely Dan

oh my god, this is a very tricky question:

of course the beatles will be my first pick. but im not gonna count it for my list. :rolleyes:

Then:

1. Led Zeppelin
2. The Cure
3. Radiohead (specially O.K. Computer, applying dolby to this record i wish it could be in true surround)

Back