Immersive Album (or Concert) Blu-ray Best and Worst Picks

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edisonbaggins

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Hey all,
I'm working on a video idea. Review or maybe information series. Regarding immersive blu-rays.
Check out my current collection, if you don't mind. Some are Atmos and some are Auro-3D.

https://www.discogs.com/lists/Immersive-BD-A/801952
Let me know what you'd like reviewed. Topics for videos, etc.

Thanks!

Baggy

P
Hey all,
I'm working on a video idea. Review or maybe information series. Regarding immersive blu-rays.
Check out my current collection, if you don't mind. Some are Atmos and some are Auro-3D.

https://www.discogs.com/lists/Immersive-BD-A/801952
Let me know what you'd like reviewed. Topics for videos, etc.

Thanks!

Baggy
Review Bernie Dresel live Auro 3D if you can. I am close to 100% sure it has an authoring error. I would like somebody else to verify this?

My vote is for this, I've seen it on Apple Music but it isn't Atmos on there. Now that I know there is a blu ray version...hmmmmmm

https://www.discogs.com/Luca-Turill...Experience-Cinematic-And-Live/release/9472689

I can give you a quick summary:

This is prog rock meets power metal meets Italian opera.

I bought this title 4 years ago. The live material is stereo only, but brilliant, with far better vocals.

The Atmos mix is full and discrete, with overpowering bottom end. The kick drum is the driving instrument, and is in 5 speakers plus subwoofer channel. I have never seen anything like this before. Sometimes double stereo drums, but never kick only in that many channels. Snare is often buried and most of the drum kit is muddy. The rears could be a bit higher for my liking,maybe 2db increase, but the use of overheads throughout is excellent. Plenty of vocals up there. Rears are used for vocals, strings, percussion etc. The lead vocals are abit thin and screechy for me, with some sibilance here and there, very compressed with a touch of bitchassness. No bass in the vocals at all lol.

I would love this release to be 'touched up' or redone.

DR is around 10 I beileve.

My rating would be 6/7.

P

Review Bernie Dresel live Auro 3D if you can. I am close to 100% sure it has an authoring error. I would like somebody else to verify this?
I am probably not the best resource to confirm that. Lack of time, other interests. No obvious problem stood out to me in the past.
If you can be more specific, I might be able to give a quick listen.

Good List. Edison consider adding the John Williams in Vienna concert it is 1080i but both the video and pure audio tracks make it a uniquely immersive mix for a classical orchestra that normally are plain ambient effects.

I am probably not the best resource to confirm that. Lack of time, other interests. No obvious problem stood out to me in the past.
If you can be more specific, I might be able to give a quick listen.
Can you hear any bottom end at all? Bass is barely there and kick has no oophm whatsoever.

P

Authoring Error? Gary Reber invited me to attend the performance. I have played it back in this 11.8.10 system and it sounds so close to the live event, I was in the back of the bar left rear and on track 12 right after the drum solo by Bernie you can hear my loud whoohoos coming exactly from my seating position surround back left.:)

Authoring Error? Gary Reber invited me to attend the performance. I have played it back in this 11.8.10 system and it sounds so close to the live event, I was in the back of the bar left rear and on track 12 right after the drum solo by Bernie you can hear my loud whoohoos coming exactly from my seating position surround back left.:)
It has no bottom end whatsoever.

The Auro 3D Demo disc have a track from that album, and it has louder bass.

The Auro 9.1 mix I presumed was out of phase, literally no bottom.

When we played it at cedia before stamping the discs it had great bottom. On this system.

Alcons-@-CEDIA-2106-crew-1024x606.jpg

I can give you a quick summary:

This is prog rock meets power metal meets Italian opera.

I bought this title 4 years ago. The live material is stereo only, but brilliant, with far better vocals.

The Atmos mix is full and discrete, with overpowering bottom end. The kick drum is the driving instrument, and is in 5 speakers plus subwoofer channel. I have never seen anything like this before. Sometimes double stereo drums, but never kick only in that many channels. Snare is often buried and most of the drum kit is muddy. The rears could be a bit higher for my liking,maybe 2db increase, but the use of overheads throughout is excellent. Plenty of vocals up there. Rears are used for vocals, strings, percussion etc. The lead vocals are abit thin and screechy for me, with some sibilance here and there, very compressed with a touch of bitchassness. No bass in the vocals at all lol.

I would love this release to be 'touched up' or redone.

DR is around 10 I beileve.

My rating would be 6/7.
Hmmmm maybe I'll snag a pre-owned copy, perhaps Apple Music will get the Atmos version as well. Thanks for the review!!

Steven Wilson's blurays are pretty much immerive.

One in particular would be : Pocupine Tree - Anesthetize

Also the live tracks from : Gentle Giant - Octopus

Some dissagree but I think , Led Zeppelin - How The West Was Won , is a worthy contender.

The Doors -The Best Of The Doors , hirez bluray.

The Band - The Last Waltz bluray

Alan Parsons Project - Tales Of Mystery And Imagination

Pink Floyd - The Endless River bluray

Pink Floyd - Pompeii bluray

Peter Gabriel - Growing Up Live bluray

Regarding Live Bernin', I find the Auro-3D mix to be consistent, bottom end wise, with the stereo, and both 5.1 streams. It's also consistent with the Bern Bern Bern studio blu-ray by the same group and production team.
I think they might be going for a traditional big band sound, where stand-up bass is subtle and kick drum is used sparingly, for accents. I hear it, and floor toms, punching through, occasionally.
If you want to hear a recent big band Auro-3D blu-ray with far more bombastic bass, like you'd hear in a pop or rock band, check out Gordon Goodwin's Gordian Knot.

Back