Interview with Paul Sinclair of Super Deluxe Edition (SDE)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edisonbaggins

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Ladies and gentlemen...

I am stoked to present this interview with Paul Sinclair, from Super Deluxe Edition (SDE)!!!

Topics covered include:

A day in the life editing SDE

The inspiration for SDE

Creating the Surround Series

Inspiration for the Surround Series

Future titles outlook

ABC - Lexicon of Love - the road to release

Possible formats for releases

A thank you for releasing stand-alone blu-rays

Final thoughts... for now!

Thank you, @PaulatSDE

Mike that was a great interview with Paul, thanks to you both!
Near the end when you were chatting about 5.1’s that are sitting on hard drives unreleased my mind went immediately to Meddle, that would be a massive seller but as we all know it’ll never happen (I’d love to be proved wrong however) unfortunately. Luckily a lot of us already have it but we can wish.
My biggest concern is that the record companies are going to cotton on to Paul’s bespoke business model and put these out themselves cutting Paul off due to his vision and success so far with the SDE series. I hope I’m wrong though. Cheers 🍻

My biggest concern is that the record companies are going to cotton on to Paul’s bespoke business model and put these out themselves cutting Paul off due to his vision and success so far with the SDE series. I hope I’m wrong though. Cheers 🍻
Hmmm. Often big companies are so big that they can't get out of their own way. They may believe that it is more efficient to simply take a fee and then shove all the planning and execution of these relatively low volume releases to a small, efficient operation like SDE.

Hmmm. Often big companies are so big that they can't get out of their own way. They may believe that it is more efficient to simply take a fee and then shove all the planning and execution of these relatively low volume releases to a small, efficient operation like SDE.
that's basically one of the major label's story in a nutshell (you can guess which one, based on the sporadic nature of how they treat their catalogue 👀 ) - the left hand doesn't know what the right hand's doing most the time 🤷🏻‍♀️

Hi, @PaulatSDE , little question. Being I have been a collector freak, and numbered series are the ultimate in collecting anything, my question is:
Was there a reason for series release #5 to have the brown top spine vs all the others in black?
IMG_4524.jpg

Hi, @PaulatSDE , little question. Being I have been a collector freak, and numbered series are the ultimate in collecting anything, my question is:
Was there a reason for series release #5 to have the brown top spine vs all the others in black?
View attachment 94992
To create an OCD meltdown!!

Another great interview, Mike. I'm so glad to hear Paul's view on things. I'm especially happy with his views on bringing out music without big box sets, keeping the titles affordable.
His comments on how things come together, and the inner workings of the music industry were appreciated, and reinforce a lot of what I already suspected.

Being on a (now pretty blown out for this year) budget, I can't buy all SDE releases. But I certainly try to buy the ones that even remotely interest me, finances permitting.

Keeping in mind that his success depends on us as music buyers, and thus helps keep the titles coming from the industry, makes it imperative that we support him as we can.

Thanks Mike and Paul for the interview. Great stuff.

I note Paul's comment that there's little point asking somebody like the Eurythmics if they will do a surround release - if they have not reissued their CDs, they don't want to/ can't. I agree that is probably the case, but it strikes me that it might not always be. I can see that some artists might feel, say, that the original mastering was fine and they don't want to release any out-takes, but might be persuaded to create a reissue specifically because of a surround remix. In short, the fact they have not reissued for years might mean they are just waiting for the right excuse, and an Atmos mix might be the reason they need. So maybe if other factors seem favourable, it might be worth asking!

Great interview. It's so nice to see an enthusiast like Paul doing well, with the support from members from this forum. Selling 5000 units of a blu-ray surround mix - no one would have thought that possible a few years ago! I think that Bob Clearmountain and Paul need to have a chat....

Great job and good get, @edisonbaggins. Paul comes off as a really genial guy with a true love of music and surround. And @PaulatSDE: if you're looking for legendary mixes that have been sitting on the shelf for 20 years, you might ask your friends at UMe about Elliot Scheiner's completed 5.1 mix of Pretzel Logic. I don't get the sense that Steely Dan is up your musical alley, necessarily, but bringing that one to fruition would make a lot of people very happy. (And Steely Dan are having a moment right now....)

Great job and good get, @edisonbaggins. Paul comes off as a really genial guy with a true love of music and surround. And @PaulatSDE: if you're looking for legendary mixes that have been sitting on the shelf for 20 years, you might ask your friends at UMe about Elliot Scheiner's completed 5.1 mix of Pretzel Logic. I don't get the sense that Steely Dan is up your musical alley, necessarily, but bringing that one to fruition would make a lot of people very happy. (And Steely Dan are having a moment right now....)
SD is sure as heck up MY alley!
Way up it.
Any further Steely multichannel releases, be they SACD or Blu-ray, either classic Quad mixes or newer, unreleased 5.1, would be highly exciting and enjoyable to me.

View attachment 94992

Thanks for posting this photo Mark. It shows how diverse the SDE catalog has been to date. We have new material from artists of the 60s, 70s and 80s; a couple of reissues IN ATMOS of classic 70s and 80s albums; some Brit pop; etc.

Last edited:
Thanks for the great interview. I watched it in snippets and wonder if I missed a spot where Paul provides insight on what is the primary catalyst for approaching the labels for the surround series. Does he need to know there is a surround mix in existence or planned before he pitches a limited SDE Series release or has he ever pitched the idea before a surround mix is created?

Back