INXS: Live Baby Live Concert in 4K and Atmos coming!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
erm.. If not discrete what is the point of atmos? 4K does not interest me at all. Not a fan of Giles I am afraid. Kick is an abomination.

One thing to remember about all playback formats, Atmos included. It's not because a title is offered in multiple channel configuration that the company behind the release actually commissioned a discrete mix for that configuration.

In the 50's and 60's, record companies were notorious for selling fake Stereo albums. In the 70's, some record companies sold fake (or extremely shy) Quad albums. As 5.1 began to be used for audio in the late 90's / early 2000's, some companies (such as Silverline) did the same thing. I don't think anyone should be surprised that this will also manifest itself with Atmos releases.

I'm not looking for a fight here, I'm just stating what's been going on in the industry since 1957. At the end of the day, we would all like our multichannel content to be discrete and of demo quality but I think we may enjoy these releases more if we dialed down the level of expectation.

Ding-dong, a delivery has arrived...

IMG_0341.JPEG

INXS - First impressions
- I did not know the concert before - the show is really good!
- Same audio options on Blu-ray and 4K UHD (stereo, 5.1, Atmos)
- picture quality of the 4K with HDR is great and it is significantly better than the blu-ray.
- surround mix is non-existent, Atmos mix sounds like stereo.

INXS - First impressions
- I did not know the concert before - the show is really good!
- Same audio options on Blu-ray and 4K UHD (stereo, 5.1, Atmos)
- picture quality of the 4K with HDR is great and it is significantly better than the blu-ray.
- surround mix is non-existent, Atmos mix sounds like stereo.
I fully agree with your initial review, although I found when I swapped between 5.1 and Atmos the sound was markedly fuller with the Atmos selected. I also did hear occasional separation.
Didnt hear the stereo you refer to, It's just not as discrete as we all would like. Which seems to be the problem with most live shows in surround.

Last edited:
I fully agree with your initial review, although I found when I swapped between 5.1 and Atmos the sound was markedly fuller with the Atmos selected. I also did hear occasional seperation.
Didnt hear the stereo you refer to, It's just not as discrete as we all would like. Which seems to be the problem with most live shows in surround.

I did not mean that the Atmos mix is 2.0. Of course there's "something" coming out of the other speakers - but it's very low volume and certainly not a discrete mix.

I did not mean that the Atmos mix is 2.0. Of course there's "something" coming out of the other speakers - but it's very low volume and certainly not a discrete mix.
That's cool, yes you are quite right there, it is as you say with low volume and certainly not discrete.
But for once I forgave that omission as the show itself is so good.
Pleased you liked it as well. (y) :QQlove

So I gather/assume you are not a fan of The Beatles "Abbey Road" Atmos either since Giles did that as well?
The poll thread for Kick does not indicate that "abomination" is the consensus. And Abbey Road Atmos has received rave reviews.
Asking what the point is of ambient Atmos is really no different than questioning ambient Quad or 5.1.

Disappointed ☹
I had you in mind when I wrote my review Garry, as I knew you were looking forward to a full on Atmos mix, as much as I was.
I think the word 'conservative' sums it up.
I do wonder if they could have put more effort into giving a more discrete mix, maybe the source audio material didn't lend itself to that, as a possibility.
Still a cracking show though.

Discrete concert mixes are the rare exception, not the rule. If this sounds and looks great I'll be very happy.
Looking forward to your complete video/sound review on this one:SB Just an idea as well, why don't you do a comparison review of all "Live" multi-channel discs and which are your personal favorites :cool:

Last edited:
Back