HiRez Poll J. Geils Band - NIGHTMARES...AND OTHER TALES FROM THE VINYL JUNGLE [Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of J. Geils Band - NIGHTMARES...AND OTHER TALES FROM THE VINYL JUNGLE

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Terrible Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Please post your thoughts and comments on this new reissue of the classic J. Geils Band album "NIGHTMARES...AND OTHER TALES FROM THE VINYL JUNGLE".
This new Blu-Ray audio release is part of Rhino Records' Quadio series and marks the first time that the original 1970s Quadraphonic mix has been properly remastered and reissued on a high-res disc format.

(y) :) (n)

88510-JG-F.jpg

88520-JG-R.jpg

88512-JG-DISC.jpg

Ahh, I get the honor of the first review :). I'll say I think we have a real sleeper hit here. In the release thread it seems like J Geils had the least interest (no surprise really, they have some tough competition), but this here is a easy 10/10. J Geils were one of the great party bands back in the day who put on killer shows and the studio albums are no slouches either. Highly energetic blend of rock and jazz and funk and you name it they got it. And Peter Wolf has to be one of the all time great frontmen. Nightmares rocks the house with fun songs and excellent musicianship, and the size of the band and variety of instruments lends to a killer surround mix that is perfectly realised in the quad presentation.

And that's part of the beauty of surround, it highlights releases that had otherwise passed you by. I have been a fan of J Geils for a few years now and they are really unlike any other band so I was eager to hop in. You probably bought it anyways so give it a fair shake. Dare I say this is the best of the four quadios...:unsure:

9/10

I heard my CD-4 in quad at an audio dealer in the spring of 1975, since then I've only listened to the quad to stereo downmix.

I like the surround sound mix (I don't have much of a frame of reference though - until a few years ago, most of my surround sound listening was movie soundtracks and fake surround sound).

edit:
I'm listening to the DTS core, not the DTS-HD soundtrack.

Kirk Bayne

Last edited:
Like I posted in the Paranoid thread, I'm going to have to give this another listen before rating as well. Unlike Paranoid, I'm completely unfamiliar with J Geils outside their radio hits, so this was new for me. However I found it enjoyable and at least adjacent to my alley with some of it getting very close to up it. Also unlike Paranoid, nothing about this really grabbed me and screamed THIS IS QUAD! but still an enjoyable listen. I probably would never have bought this were it not for the bundle but now that I have it I'm glad that I do.

Must Of Got Lost was their "hit" from this album, so I'm familiar with it...and its tendency to annoy the inner grammar nazi in me. They "must of" named it this to irritate a former English teacher or something. Regardless, it's a great little tune, and "must have become lost" isn't quite so catchy (though "must have been lost" would suffice).

The sound on this, like the sound on the other recent Quadio releases, is superb. Really tough to complain about fidelity. Givin' It All Up has the vocals too buried-- I did an A/B with the stereo mix and that much was confirmed. Apart from that oversight, it's a pretty solid and fun mix. Nothing earthshaking, but this is a party band with a lot of parts, and each seems to find its place with the four speaker setup. Not overly adventurous with panning, but it doesn't need to be.

This is probably an 8 for me due to Givin' It All Up. Would rank it an 8 point something, but can't really justify a 9, so maybe an 8.4?

I never gave this album any attention back in the 70's and only just recently gave it a first stream. The songs didn't grab me, although the stereo mix is interesting in the sense that it made the mediocre songs sound better. I haven't opened the Quadio disc yet; waiting for more reviews. Might keep, might sell. :/

I am listening to this again getting to know the songs. I am starting to like it especially the song I'll be coming home which sounds South American influenced
I will listen more to be fair to this.

Also a safety tip do not listen to anything in close proximity to Paranoid. Nothing will sound as good. Allow at least a day for your ears to readjust.

And, fetchmybeer, I wasn't mocking you. Incorrect grammar bugs the heck out of me, too. AOL's "You've got mail" still make me cringe. These things are learned in junior high school English classes.

Song writers always use the "poetic license" excuse, however. Also, they often write in the vernacular.

Doug

J. Geils was always a stellar kick-out-the-jambs blues/rock/funk band, and this title falls right into that category. Not a lot of panning on the quad, but there's distinct separation of instruments on most of the tracks. It's a great party-down album and just plain fun all the way through. I give it a nine.

Back