Jethro Tull 5.1 (“Bursting Out” box set with Steven Wilson 5.1 mixes out in June 2024!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anderson doesn’t own CD player, a turntable or a 5.1 surround system.

When asked how he feels about Steven Wilson’s 5.1 surround mixes of Jethro Tull's classic albums, Anderson dropped an interesting tidbit: his main form of music consumption is digital audio files with headphones on.

“The ones that Steven has done, I have heard because I’ve been to his studio to hear the 5.1 surround mixes, but because of the pandemic and COVID I didn’t go to visit," he says. "Jakko Jakszyk did the 5.1 surround of The Zealot Gene, and although I’ve received my copies of it, I have no means to play it. I don’t have a CD player because they no longer put CD players in Apple computers, and I don’t have a record player, and I don’t have a 5.1 surround system. So I’m afraid for me it’s just a mystery. But I trust that Jakko did a good job. If he didn’t, someone will probably tell me and follow by telling him, but I don’t know. I don’t do 5.1 surround. It’s just too many speakers. If I spent maybe a quarter of a million dollars on a control room with great speakers and great state-of-the-art systems, then it would be a joy to listen to, and other people’s music, too, I suppose. But I have better things to do with my money than build an elaborate control room system, especially when it’s employing technology that will be outmoded within two or three years. Right now, you’d have to go further than that and put in Dolby Atmos with 11 or 12 channels; it’s just become mind-bogglingly complicated. I’m not a big music listener anyway, so when would I ever go and listen to anything? That’s just not going to happen. If I listen to music, on the rare occasions I do, I’m listening to digital audio files with headphones on.”

Steven Wilson's recently completed remixes for The Broadsword and the Beast will be released as part of the “most elaborate box set ever.”

“Steven Wilson finished all the audio on The Broadsword and the Beast some many months ago," Anderson reveals. "All the album artwork and the booklets and the extras, a vast amount of material, both audio and in terms of information and text materials, are done — it’s the most elaborate box set ever by a long way. It’s to be released in July of 2022 and that for now is the project I suppose that’s the focus of attention at Warner Music. Tim Chacksfield is the main man behind these catalog rereleases. I guess we’ll be talking in the months to come. What should we do next? Whether or not Steven Wilson wants to do any more, I don’t know. He’s really a fan of the Jethro Tull of the ’70s because he was a young guy then. Before he became a musician, I think his era of Jethro Tull music, being a fan, that’s really encapsulated within the 1970s. So he was stretching it a bit to do Broadsword and the Beast, and I’m not sure that he’ll want to do any more beyond there, but we’ll see. He’ll certainly be welcome if he decides he wants to.”
https://www.goldminemag.com/intervi...gs-we-learned-from-our-ian-anderson-interview
Hearing the "most elaborate box set ever" does concern me. If we are talking elaborate for the Tull booklets, GREAT! If not, does this mean a $500 giant box? complete with a garden gnome elf for the yard, squirrel feeder, and broadsword themed box of Cheerios? I hope by elaborate, we simply mean lots of great audio/video material. I am sure I will make the clasp, and buy at almost any price, but I hope I won't be fallin' on hard times after the purchase....

Hearing the "most elaborate box set ever" does concern me. If we are talking elaborate for the Tull booklets, GREAT! If not, does this mean a $500 giant box? complete with a garden gnome elf for the yard, squirrel feeder, and broadsword themed box of Cheerios? I hope by elaborate, we simply mean lots of great audio/video material. I am sure I will make the clasp, and buy at almost any price, but I hope I won't be fallin' on hard times after the purchase....
On DVD there is about 4hours50min extra audio with a 39 minute album in the usual various sound modes. Have not seen CDs. I expect 'A' like pricing.

On DVD there is about 4hours50min extra audio with a 39 minute album in the usual various sound modes. Have not seen CDs. I expect 'A' like pricing.
Fantastic news to the extreme. Again, the Jethro Tull book sets are the "gold standard" for how to do a deluxe edition. Will be waiting for March. For SDE, it seems Broadsword will truly be a Super Deluxe Edition. I am so glad I won't be having to buy a Tull themed miniature train set with a miniature dude with two drinks in his hand...(though that would be kind of cool)...

Fantastic news to the extreme. Again, the Jethro Tull book sets are the "gold standard" for how to do a deluxe edition. Will be waiting for March. For SDE, it seems Broadsword will truly be a Super Deluxe Edition. I am so glad I won't be having to buy a Tull themed miniature train set with a miniature dude with two drinks in his hand...(though that would be kind of cool)...
:cool: Great. You're right about more than one Cheerio, book-set with Cheerios. 😀 Throw in three beautiful
Jack-A-Lynns. Cold aeroplanes, slow boats, warm trains remind me of Jack-A-Lynn.

Cheers

I have not counted 5.1/4.1 in these totals.

Welcome
Galeans Good to see you here.
Hi, John! Thanks for the welcome! Nice to hear from you!!

So excited about this upcoming release! Thanks for all these cool updates about the box. Keep 'em coming :cool: Hope we'll see an announcement soon!

Here's the complete (so far!) collection sitting on my shelf:

theboxes.jpeg

🥳
So excited about this upcoming release! Thanks for all these cool updates about the box. Keep 'em coming :cool: Hope we'll see an announcement soon!
View attachment 89021
😎 Nice collection. You nailed it going back to 2021. With Broadsword more is the word. Also, be sure to make room for two more at least. (evil laugh) TULL club! 😉

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/thre...-coming-in-2023.1080345/page-25#post-2829587220th Anniversary Box:
Jack Frost and the Hooded Crow
I'm Your Gun
Down At The End Of Your Road
Too Many Too
Jack-A-Lynn
Motoreyes [not on the Broadsword remaster]
Rhythm in Gold
Mayhem Maybe
Overhang
Nightcap:
[none of these are on the remaster]
Crew Nights
The Curse
Commons Brawl
No Step
Drive on the Young Side of Life
Lights Out
Rocks on the Road single:
Jack-A-Lynn (acoustic demo version) [not on the Broadsword remaster]
Titles on "Silent Singing":
[all currently unreleased]
DJ Dream
Honest Girl
Inverness Sleeper
Me, Dinosaur

Playing Man Of God and Honest Girl together to create a first in Tull history. ;)

Playing Man Of God and Honest Girl together to create a first in Tull history. ;)

Nice!!

I'm very curious about "Inverness Sleeper": it was one of the titles that were known to be recorded, although it was thought to be dating from the "Walk Into Light" sessions (maybe there are two versions of it?)

Nice!!

I'm very curious about "Inverness Sleeper": it was one of the titles that were known to be recorded, although it was thought to be dating from the "Walk Into Light" sessions (maybe there are two versions of it?)
I don't have any recording dates. Scottish will be happy. The unheard tracks remind me of Stormwatch and Heavy Horses extras. I'm not a lover of the sound of live albums. The live 4.1 will be repeated here. Fabulous.
Cheers

The 4.1 is so good I keep checking my centre speaker. I'm sure Ian is in there. :LOL:

View attachment 89021
Wow! That looks just like mine! Except throw in the original Aqualung box with Blu-Ray and original Benefit non-book! I have never even listened to the Aqua-Book! Never opened This Was! One day!

The 4.1 is so good I keep checking my centre speaker. I'm sure Ian is in there. :LOL:
I just can’t believe we have had to wait for two JT releases to get to this! This is what I have been waiting for since SFTW! Although I like everything that came after! I can’t even listen to new Tull because Ian’s voice . Time to hire a tribute singer! No one’s done that hire a tribute singer, and remain in the group!

Back