Jethro Tull - A (A La Mode edition) - Next boxset in 2021

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think some of SW's own music shows his mixes can't make someone like something they otherwise don't!
I hear you, Mike. Iā€™m still willing to purchase/collect anything heā€™s mixed just for the sheer pleasure I get from his amazing ability to create 3D enveloping soundscapes.

Of course, Wilsonā€™s work with surround sound remixesā€”which generally come at the behest of record labels and artistsā€™ managementā€”remain one of his calling cards, and heā€™s still in demand when special anniversary rereleases are initiated. The artists themselves are involved to varying degrees, but Wilson insists that regardless of their involvement, he wants them to be able to sign off on his efforts.

ā€œI think that in nearly every instance, thereā€™s a certain degree of suspicion,ā€ he concedes. ā€œBut also in almost every instance, when theyā€™ve heard what Iā€™ve done, they realize that Iā€™m not interested trying to change the music. Iā€™m just trying to get a little more clarity in whatā€™s already there. Iā€™m very faithful to the original mixes and Iā€™m very meticulous about that. I realize that the people that are going to buy these records are the people that already know them. Thatā€™s enabled me to build up a lot of trust, not only with the artists, but also within the industry as someone who will do his job in a conscientious way and show sympathy for the artistsā€™ original intentions. Itā€™s a big responsibility, and I always try to live up to that.ā€

by Lee Zimmerman about 9 hours ago

Former Porcupine Tree Leader Steven Wilson Tackles Prickly Subjects with Daring New Album Ā« American Songwriter

Really looking forward to this. It's not from the over the top greatness period but there's some psychedelic greatness buried in this one all the same. The original release doesn't do it justice at all. Between shorter and shorter studio time to the cheapening of vinyl quality to the cookie cutter mastering of the period. It all hit this album in the worst way.

At least I suspect that's the case. Almost has to be the case.

Reactions: GOS
"A" now. I have the other boxes, so..........

To be honest, I listened to the CD once and haven't been back. But yea, that was stereo. I'm still bowled over by Wilson's treatment of THICK AS A BRICK!
I'll give "A" another chance. And I'll certainly hope for and will jump on BSW and CoaK!

Not many though. Its definitely in the bottom 5, near Under Wraps and J.Tull.Com. It ushered in the Jethro Tull "synth era".
This certainly dosent mean I'm not buying it. I have all the others. Why stop now? One of the later CD re-releases of "A" included a video companion disk with the film Slipstream on it. I have that release, That could make for some good deluxe set bonus material for those that havent seen it.

The white Jumpsuits were just sooo.... sooo.... :poop:

I've had the vinyl since it came out and I really like it, there are some good songs on it, Fylingdale Flyer (a song about RAF Fylingdale, listening out for nuclear attacks) Batteries Not Included, 4.W.D. (Low Ratio) and The Pine Marten's Jig, so I definately won't be missing out on ordering it.

Last edited:
What is A? It's the one in 1980 that came after Stormwatch and a very good, very underrated Tull album. It's got Eddie Jobson on violin and keyboards, for heaven's sake! Standout tracks are 'Black Sunday', 'The Pine Marten's Jig' (one of JT's best instrumentals), 'Batteries Not Included'. Detractors make it sound like it's silly 80's synthpop, which is absurd.

Last edited:
[IMG]
[IMG]

[IMG]

JETHRO TULL 1980 A TOUR U.S. CONCERT PROGRAM BOOK BOOKLET / IAN ANDERSON / NMT
[IMG]

JETHRO TULL 1980 A TOUR U.S. Concert Program Book Booklet-IAN ANDERSON-EX 2 NMT
[IMG]

Jethro Tull "A" 1980 Ian Anderson Prog Concert Program

Even thought I don't "know" this album. There is no chance in hell I will pass up buying it. I have all the others........several copies unopened. Just for fun. I'm all over this one. :)
Black Sunday, Working John Working Joe, The Pine Marten's Jig & And Further On are as good as any other good Tull. ;):D

Not an album we listen to a lot, my wife was impressed by the 5.1 sound, too.

Back