Jethro Tull - Aqualung BluRay Audio Failing?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I doubt that there was more than one run of this. But there might have been a couple of presses going with different glass stampers, and molds?

My working discs have IFPI 1GF0 in the clear section of the center ring. I'd be curious if the failing ones have this same number in the ring? Looks kinda like hand written.

Can anyone with a failing BR disc let us know if it is the same number as mine?

I have also checked my disc and everything works well luckily.
But i shall make an backup of it as i have started to do with my discs.

I doubt that there was more than one run of this. But there might have been a couple of presses going with different glass stampers, and molds?

My working discs have IFPI 1GF0 in the clear section of the center ring. I'd be curious if the failing ones have this same number in the ring? Looks kinda like hand written.

0879969DB49320-1 optimal (inner ring)
soVyDY7.jpg

Last edited:
I'll check my Blu-ray later today in my Oppo BDP-103D and Panasonic DP-UB820-K. I'll also report back on matrix and SID codes.

I bought this deluxe set used a few years ago on National Record Store Day. I have never played anything from it except the Blu-Ray disc. I listened to all of the 5.1 & spot checked the 4.0 last night. Everything played perfect, no probs at all. And oh man oh man what a great album after all these years!

However I will most likely rip the BR to a hard drive & burn a copy to M Disc for back up.

I bought this deluxe set used a few years ago on National Record Store Day. I have never played anything from it except the Blu-Ray disc. I listened to all of the 5.1 & spot checked the 4.0 last night. Everything played perfect, no probs at all. And oh man oh man what a great album after all these years!

However I will most likely rip the BR to a hard drive & burn a copy to M Disc for back up.
Good call, but you might want to hurry.
I’ve had M-Disc on my radar for awhile, but the recording drive I want is now rare; may have to settle for a lesser model. Also the discs are very pricey.

Good call, but you might want to hurry.
I’ve had M-Disc on my radar for awhile, but the recording drive I want is now rare; may have to settle for a lesser model. Also the discs are very pricey.
The discs are very cheap if it "saves" a super deluxe edition. And I myself certainly don't use the M Disc for everything. Just the most important.

soVyDY7.jpg

My disc seems to have FPI 1GF0 stamped in the innermost clear portion of the center ring, but it's possible my eyes are missing the initial "I" that @quicksrt saw.

I think 0879969 DB49320-1 is just the matrix or catalogue number of the Blu-Ray?

No answer yet from any of the people I wrote to yesterday.

Last edited:
I will most likely rip the BR to a hard drive & burn a copy to M Disc for back up.

I’m not doing any of that.

If disks can’t be made to last anymore I just won’t buy any. Which is pretty much where I’m headed anyway.

Already have bricked copies of GYBR and Doors Perception. $300 down the tubes right there with no recourse.

So I just sent a PM on the Chrysalis Facebook site, asking to be connected with customer service. Also sent an email to
[email protected], cc'd to [email protected].

@Rickk , @ProgRules , and @JohnN : want to join me in this? (And @JediJoker : yes, according to the inner ring on the disc, it was produced at so-called Optimal--so now I've cc'd the Head of Customer Care, the Manager of Customer Care International, and the two "Quality Assurance" guys listed on Optimal's contact page. I'm a regular Karen!)

Not sure what to expect, since the label has changed hands at least once since the box was issued in 2011. And the set is long out of print, as we know. Still, I donno 'bout you-all, but I only bought mine in October 2017 as a new, sealed copy from a legitimate online retailer. So you'd think the label would still want to stand behind their product and make things right, especially when it concerns an expensive deluxe set by one of their flagship artists.

I did as you suggest. I don't hold out a lot of hope, but if we don't all make them aware of the problem there is no hope.

I don't see that but I do see Optimal media productions. It's hard to read and is a mirror image on the label side, reads correctly on the play side, though even harder to see.

Seems like Optimal strikes again!

So I just sent a PM on the Chrysalis Facebook site, asking to be connected with customer service. Also sent an email to
[email protected], cc'd to [email protected].

@Rickk , @ProgRules , and @JohnN : want to join me in this? (And @JediJoker : yes, according to the inner ring on the disc, it was produced at so-called Optimal--so now I've cc'd the Head of Customer Care, the Manager of Customer Care International, and the two "Quality Assurance" guys listed on Optimal's contact page. I'm a regular Karen!)

Not sure what to expect, since the label has changed hands at least once since the box was issued in 2011. And the set is long out of print, as we know. Still, I donno 'bout you-all, but I only bought mine in October 2017 as a new, sealed copy from a legitimate online retailer. So you'd think the label would still want to stand behind their product and make things right, especially when it concerns an expensive deluxe set by one of their flagship artists.

The business day is over in Europe; so far the only answer I've had (after 24 hours) is on Facebook, where I was advised to email [email protected], and assured that someone would answer as soon as possible...

My disc seems to have FPI 1GF0 stamped in the innermost clear portion of the center ring, but it's possible my eyes are missing the initial "I" that @quicksrt saw.

I think 0879969 DB49320-1 is just the matrix or catalogue number of the Blu-Ray?

No answer yet from any of the people I wrote to yesterday.
Can't see any other numbers. 😵

I helped with the Adapted Edition, I would prefer that on blu-ray.
https://www.discogs.com/Jethro-Tull-Aqualung-40th-Anniversary-Adapted-Edition/release/8427017

I'm convinced that the Bluray format for audio for some reason is a flawed medium due to failure of the materials or as a result of the structure of the disc. I guess we were not to know until a few years have passed. I also have this Jethro Tull Blueray and hope my disc still plays, however I am not very confident because it seems to be a physical problem with the chemicals and materials and manufacturing which is unfortunately unavoidable

Interestingly I have 100s of Bluray movies which don't seem to have the same issues as the music ones we are experiencing

I'm convinced that the Bluray format for audio for some reason is a flawed medium due to failure of the materials or as a result of the structure of the disc. I guess we were not to know until a few years have passed. I also have this Jethro Tull Blueray and hope my disc still plays, however I am not very confident because it seems to be a physical problem with the chemicals and materials and manufacturing which is unfortunately unavoidable

Interestingly I have 100s of Bluray movies which don't seem to have the same issues as the music ones we are experiencing
Here's my 2 cents from across the ditch: I reckon that Blu-ray audio is such a misunderstood afterthought by the geniuses at the label that they go with the absolute bottom barrel quote that results in a poorly manufactured disc where steps were skipped that don't otherwise get skipped when a movie or TV show BD is manufactured.

soVyDY7.jpg
I have the same matrix number and — for now — the disc seems to play fine based solely on sampling both of the 5.1 encodes. Oppo 203. I listened to the title track in both then sampled other tracks. Hardly scientific. Not sure I’m up for a complete test of all the mixes.

It’s been ages since I backed up a disc but I think I’ll dust off that drive soon just in case. Unhappy as I am that others are having issues, I’m glad for this thread. I’m tempted to email the label with my own concern but since I haven’t had the failure (yet?) I don’t want to offer counter-data. It’s quite disheartening; last year there were often deals on UK editions of DSOTM’s SDE but the idea of shelling out for some marbles and a disc that could already be bad — and for which the frustratingly short replacement window had already closed — was very unpleasant. I can live with the clicks on WYWH but failing discs at these prices? Dampens enthusiasm.

Last edited:
I’d guess there are a few movie titles with known bad batches. Like an entire run that went to rot after a period of time. It can’t be just some of the music ones.

Back