Jimi Hendrix - 1st two LPs

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karmageddon

Well ...
I ended up downloading (from a torrent site) some great *supposed* CD-4 -> DTS conversions of Are You Experienced? and Axis: As Bold As Love the other day, and BOY was I impressed....

I really love the CD-4 format (got some Doobie Bros as well that just sounds marvelous) but I can find NO INFO on these J.H. LP's, even in the official QUAD Discography...

Were these not released en-masse? or were they an unreleased gem that got leaked?

quite curious. pretty much every other QUAD title I have in DTS, I can find info on....

Last edited:
jimmi never released any cd-4 lps or any quad lps for that matter. But his stuff decodes well in quad...well enough to get some discrete sounding surround...especially electric ladyland..

As Christopher said, Jimi Hendrix released no albums in CD-4 or any other quad format. However, as has been written here many times, Jimi was a pioneer of phase-tweaking in the studio, so his stereo albums decode in "pseudo-quad" remarkably well.

Do a simple search here for "Jimi Hendrix" and you should find lots of relevant information on this.

wow okay
because these sound really discrete. down to the vocals in the left rear the drums in the right rear the lead guitars in the front...

its so good...its believable..i thought it was too good to be ture..

the poster on this site swears it was from a CD-4 vinyl rip he did himself...either way the both sound great

the poster on this site swears it was from a CD-4 vinyl rip he did himself...either way the both sound great
Then the guy is liar on two counts: it is not CD-4 vinyl and he didn't rip it himself. If he did rip it himself, he would know it was not a CD-4 record. The guy has no clue what he is talking about.

As Cai says, there were no Jimi Hendrix quadraphonic releases, in ANY format, tape or disc. What you downloaded are "Frankenstien" mixes, i.e. the stereo tracks "played with" in Adobe Audition and/or a QS or SQ decoder. Interesting, maybe, but not true 4 channel.

Yea I figured as much....

I had searched the Quad discogs very thoroughly and could not find any info. I figure, if it's too good to be true, it probably is.

Still not a bad listen though. Now if only I can create a SQ ELectric Ladyland disc ...I have heard so many good things about that being a "hidden" gem....:phones

They are mislabled. They are GART stereo to surround conversions and my work as well as the Steely Dan conversions being recently torrented.

Last edited:
True - no officially released Hendrix in discrete Quad format.

However ...

If you would like to blow your mind, listen to the first 3 Hendrix albums with any kind of decoder going, even Dolby PLII. My favorite is Come On from E.L.L. - the right rear channel is isolated for the guitar leads! Amazing. Even my skeptical and uninterested wife was blown away. Next up was Foxy Lady with very clear and obvious rear channel vocals. Now Have You Ever Been just enveloped the room in sound. Try it out and find your own special treats.

My theory - even though decoding equipment and playback gear did not exist for Hendrix to have ever "heard" the results, and would not be available until 1970-71, he was such a musical genius, like Beethoven, that the inability to "hear" the results did not stop him from creating the music, "knowing" exactly how it would later sound.

I worked with John McDermott on the Hendrix box set and discussed with him many times the feasability of Hendrix in surround...The main problem was that Janie and Eddie Kramer both did not want to assume Hendrix would want his stuff remixed into surround and represented in that format without being around to approve the mixes...You are free to challenge this if you want but I was there in the discussions and heard this explanation with my own ears....I was and still am a huge proponent of releasing his music in surround as he is one of the few artists that totally lend their sound to the format ..i believe that if he were alive today he would be recording in nothing but surround...

Back