King Crimson news?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Shafer

Has anyone heard if they are still planning to release King Crimson's "In the Court of the Crimson King" in true surround - 5.1? Nothing new has been reported in a long time.

Bob

Wow, this is the first I head of a 5.1 surround release! Perhaps you're thinking of the long-rumored SACD stereo release?

AFAIK it has always been a rumor.

Fripp doesn't seem to be interested in 5.1, even if the last KC DVD 5.1 mix was very interesting. One of the best around (for a live DVD-V, I mean) with Peter Gabriel's Growing Up and Secret World.

But Fripp being so secret, who knows, one day he might want to remix the entire KC catalog in 5.1. Only God knows what's in his head...

Btw, we might be lucky enough to have the next KC album (still in the works) released on DVD-A or SACD. That would rule big time !!

I will assume the "Red Mug" is referring to "In The Court of The Crimson King" - if so, then the site is referencing a stereo only SACD version via Virgin - never to my knowledge released or scheduled to be released. Fripp has already remastered and re-released the entire KC catalog in HDCD thru Virgin. Not interested unless it's in Hi Rez MC.

Fripp's likely not going to re-visit the original catalog albums for purpose of surround remixes. Hi-res stereo at best...

Any new KC releases are fair game for surround, but it doesn't seem a high priority. If David Singleton or any of his recent collaborators insisted he might permit it or look the other way. Can't see him actively involved with that.

KC fan since 1974 concert

At one point Fripp was definitely planning on mixing and releasing Soundscapes in 5.1 DTS, and might have even done some mixes. At that point he felt that the automobile would be the listening environment driving surround. He wrote about this in his diary, many years ago.

I think Discipline could be a great 5.1 disc. Likewise for TPTB. Hell, any of them could.

Wow, I used to read the diaries and missed that 5.1 reference. Struck me as a stereo purist.

Power To Believe was the best in a while...

Here's an old thread that actually turns out for the better . . . . . we hope! :D

Back