LATEST Piece of Gear in Your Stack - What is it?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You know how it works Ralphie...that 215 Watt figure is pure marketing nonsense...I wish they wouldn't do that...105 watts per channel is a realistic number...no plans on adding heights...

Still not to shabby if used in a "normal" living room, congrats! My Onkyo has 185 watts apparently (probably 80 to 100) and I could blow the windows out of my house if I had the right speakers, so I think you have power to spare. :rocks

Still not to shabby if used in a "normal" living room, congrats! My Onkyo has 185 watts apparently (probably 80 to 100) and I could blow the windows out of my house if I had the right speakers, so I think you have power to spare. :rocks

I've never used my old Denon at full volume...and if you have efficient speakers you can have a modestly powered source and be fine:cool:

I've never used my old Denon at full volume...and if you have efficient speakers you can have a modestly powered source and be fine:cool:

It's always better to have more power to avoid clipping.

During my stoner days [actually early this morning @ precisely 2 AM] I blew many a speaker by overdriving my amps. Now I detest loud music which is why I avoid concerts nowadays.

Agreed, in case of our surround hobby the better halve is not always better, it blocks me from getting bigger speakers :smokin, and I have never even turned my budget speakers full throttle.

It's always better to have more power to avoid clipping.

During my stoner days [actually early this morning @ precisely 2 AM] I blew many a speaker by overdriving my amps.

Notice the word "efficient" speakers in my post....you will need less power if you spend as much time on your speaker choice as your power source....of course the introduction of foreign substances to the equation changes everything

A Sony Blu ray player.
Model S4100

Found it as new on eBay
Going to be used for ripping SACD's

As I wanted to preserve the expensive Cambridge Azur player.

Arrived today, so getting it run in, by playing some of my SACD's on it.

Hey beerking I may be learning about ripping SACDs from you pretty soon;) Just itchin' to get some of those ripped like the Elton John's and a few hundred others:rolleyes:. I've only read up on the oppo machines (software) for this; so please let me know how your Sony adventure goes.

Hey beerking I may be learning about ripping SACDs from you pretty soon;) Just itchin' to get some of those ripped like the Elton John's and a few hundred others:rolleyes:. I've only read up on the oppo machines (software) for this; so please let me know how your Sony adventure goes.

We will be learning together!!
I've spent the best part of two weeks trying to get to grips with this pita..I caused my own initial problems by running a network through a USB power hub. I'm now going to run cables from the router/modem to the two machines directly.
I have been using a site called HiFi Haven..and in particular a moderator called Mike Fresh who has been helping me through the process of using the network setup.
https://hifihaven.org/index.php?threads/rip-sacd-with-a-blu-ray-player.3652/
A ton of info here.
I got one successful SACD rip done and then the network method played up.
So I'm trying a new approach ..for me!!
I realise there are peeps here who could help but I decided to post my concerns on that site after reading about it.
That keeps it all nice and friendly here then ...patience was neva my strong point!!

Actually this purchase represents a change in my overall philosophy...this AVR has less power than my older Denon...but it's not a downgrade in any respect....I "used to" value power more than I do at the present time...and I think the companies have made an adjustment as well...in the past you had to get near the top of the model range with the most power to get the features you wanted...that's no longer true...at least with Denon....this receiver I purchased is the middle of the line(the total line not just the X series)but it gave me the features I wanted.... but more importantly I wasn't forced into paying for features I didn't want....if someone would have told me I could get a Denon with the things I valued as important for just $599 with a 3 year Denon warranty I would have been skeptical...of course I got that price reduction because I didn't get the recent model year....it's a 2017 model...which means nothing to me...it's not like buying an automobile where depreciation is factored into a possible resale...and having 8 HDMI inputs(1 in the front)and 3 HDMI OUTPUTS at this price point is nice...

Even though I'm not a "computer" guy...I have bought computers every 2 or 3 years....the philosophy I use is to buy the entry level models...at bargain basement prices with bundled programs included in the price and then keep upgrading...because the advances in the computers were so significant and there was always a new and improved "chip'....as a result I have 5 "older" computers collecting dust because I don't really know how to dispose of them properly and ensure all my information is wiped from the drive....but getting back to audio....even though right now I'm saying that 7 channels is enough...maybe in the near future there will be some amazing audio discovery and I will want to have it...because I only spent $599 on this AVR...I could easily make that purchase....my days of buying the "top of the line" are pretty much over...although the gear will probably last a long time...because it's premium...the technology won't be...you will be eclipsed by medium priced equipment with the latest and superior technology...

When you talk about Marantz...you are also talking about Denon...as a result of THIS…."back in the day" Marantz receivers had the coolest appearance….your receiver....the SR8500... has the same watts per channel as my old Denon...and like my old
Denon it doesn't have near the features that modern receivers have...that's the "rub"...your AVR was listed at $2,000 back in 2011...and I'm sure it still works fine...just like my old Denon...but the basic things now on receivers weren't available when we both bought our rigs back then...so that's why "selective buying" of midrange equipment more often now...as opposed to buying near the top of the line is the better move...IMO...

If anyone out there buys a Denon...or is thinking about a purchase...you can get some great information over at AVS...there are 2 posters...Batpig and jdsmoothie that provide a ton of information....2018...2017

Well Clint you've really opened the flood gates now amigo!
First off, J.Pupster learning from Batpig :ROFLMAO:, us audio types are a real fun bunch aren't we? I've read quite a bit over at AVS forum but I really dislike it because of all the ads/scripts running, gags my Win. 10 laptop (my Win. 7 main computer handles those much better.) However there is a lot of good info to be had over there, that's were I read up about the Oppo 205 and learned that Kal is the man on that subject.
As far as my Marantz AVR-8500 I believe I bought that new like you did, I got it for sale in it's second year (think I paid about $1,500.)
Also bought my Denon DVD-3910 just before it went off market and got a great price on that (also new.) I'm lucky enough to have a spare room available that I'm putting together a small secondary system that will be hooked up to a computer, but mostly will be for analog stuff like SM-V2, vinyl records (Technics table with Rotel preamp), Reel to Reel (Teac A-2340) etc. The main goal of that setup will be for analog to digital conversions and listening to stereo to Quad upmixes from the SM-V2. I would also like to take a shot at making my own upmixes of albums that'll never get released in surround.

My main system is in my Family room, which creates problems. It's one of those rooms that is open to a dinning area, kitchen and nook area, so it's large. There's also no where to put rear speakers so I'm stuck with rear ceiling speakers:( The biggest issue is my lovely wife (who loves music) but also thinks that A/V equipment including speakers are Appliances, and shouldn't be seen.:alien: What really burns my ass, is I can afford real nice floor standing speakers but that may never happen. Does this sound familiar to any of you out there? So when we bought our house around 2004 it had a nice big hole-in-the wall for A/V equip ,which I designed and installed cabinets into, and thought I'd be in heaven. Here's were you young Pups need to listen up! If you're buying a home with one of those hole-in-the wall areas Ruuunnn, don't even think about it. It is a cabling fucking nightmare! There is no room to work and change things out when you need to, and you will need to. I'm thinking a good setup is something like Gene has (GOS), just simple open shelving with room to get behind your equipment and make changes. GOS may act like a goofball, but I'm bettin' he's one smart cookie! So I see a lot of changes coming my way this year and hopefully some new equipment (especially an AVR with HDMI) which will makes things much easier.
Hasta luego my hard charging quadie compadres!

Last edited:
First off, J.Pupster learning from Batpig :ROFLMAO:, us audio types are a real fun bunch aren't we? I've read quite a bit over at AVS forum but I really dislike it because of all the ads/scripts running, gags my Win. 10 laptop (my Win. 7 main computer handles those much better.) However there is a lot of good info to be had over there, that's were I read up about the Oppo 205 and learned that Kal is the man on that subject.
As far as my Marantz AVR-8500 I believe I bought that new like you did, I got it for sale in it's second year (think I paid about $1,500.)
Also bought my Denon DVD-3910 just before it went off market and got a great price on that (also new.) I'm lucky enough to have a spare room available that I'm putting together a small secondary system that will be hooked up to a computer, but mostly will be for analog stuff like SM-V2, vinyl records (Technics table with Rotel preamp), Reel to Reel (Teac A-2340) etc. The main goal of that setup will be for analog to digital conversions and listening to stereo to Quad upmixes from the SM-V2. I would also like to take a shot at making my own upmixes of albums that'll never get released in surround.
My main system is in my Family room, which creates problems. It's one of those rooms that is open to a dinning area, kitchen and nook area, so it's large. There's also no where to put rear speakers so I'm stuck with rear ceiling speakers:( The biggest issue is my lovely wife (who loves music) but also thinks that A/V equipment including speakers are Appliances, and shouldn't be seen.:alien: What really burns my ass, is I can afford real nice floor standing speakers but that may never happen. Does this sound familiar to any of you out there? So when we bought our house around 2004 it had a nice big hole-in-the wall for A/V equip ,which I designed and installed cabinets into, and thought I'd be in heaven. Here's were you young Pups need to listen up! If you're buying a home with one of those hole-in-the wall areas Ruuunnn, don't even think about it. It is a cabling fucking nightmare! There is no room to work and change things out when you need to, and you will need to. I'm thinking a good setup is something like Gene has (GOS), just simple open shelving with room to get behind your equipment and make changes. GOS may act like a goofball, but I'm bettin' he's one smart cookie! So I see a lot of changes coming my way this year and hopefully some new equipment (especially an AVR with HDMI) which will makes things much easier.

So let me get this straight...you know more about Denon products than Batpig?...do tell...but all those ads get depressing...I get that part..

Let me mention something that would help us....use the edit function and make another paragraph starting with "My main system"...let that "puppy" breathe a little...

Notice the word "efficient" speakers in my post....you will need less power if you spend as much time on your speaker choice as your power source....of course the introduction of foreign substances to the equation changes everything

Clinty, my new electrician Roy is a dead ringer for Chris Pine ......... actually 1" taller.......and that video you posted of Master Pine looks suspiciously like he's being orally stimulated rather than flat out stoned. Did I miss that episode of Star Trek?

Clinty, my new electrician Roy is a dead ringer for Chris Pine ......... actually 1" taller.......and that video you posted of Master Pine looks suspiciously like he's being orally stimulated rather than flat out stoned. Did I miss that episode of Star Trek?

Maybe he did go where no man had ever gone:unsure:

Wow, didn't even know we had this thread. Very cool stuff, and congrats on the new Denon unit @Clint Eastwood.

I posted this back in the "What's Your Latest Matrix LP" thread last month, but what the hell, I'll just post it again because I'm still in awe of this thing.

tate.jpg

I picked up a pair of KEF Q150's for under $400 CAD (around $300 USD) new last Sunday for some stereo listening. They sound great. They have a narrow stereo image, but that is not a problem for what I wanted them for.

Back