Life in Surround - Surround Music Review and Discussion YouTube Channel

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Clement, sorry to break the news ...but the picture on your TELLY ain't coming back. When my Panasonic Plasma TV died ....... it was indeed moribund. Unfortunately, NO reincarnation. Time to invest in a new TV!
But, but, but . . . it's been doing this to me for the last year. It has always come back . . . until it didn't 😪 Any recommendations on a new TV? Peace

But, but, but . . . it's been doing this to me for the last year. It has always come back . . . until it didn't 😪 Any recommendations on a new TV? Peace

I have a 2016 Model LG OLED TV which still has the capacity to do EXCEPTIONAL 3D but all current models omit 3D [MOST unfortunately]. IMO, it's the BEST TV I've ever owned. The prices have come WAY down and SONY is also making OLED TVs, as well. Your best bet is going to a local BEST BUY or P C Richard's [if you have one in your area] and see them firsthand. Costco also sells TVs and SONY and SAMSUNG are now showing TVs with 8K [versus 4K] technology but there's nothing today in the US sporting 8K [except store driven hard drives]. SAMSUNG calls their technology QLED8K and it does upsample current 4K discs and TV driven 4K broadcasts to 8K but they're UBER expensive.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/LG-55-Cl...hguid=f912e4f4-00b-16bcf3974c3723&athena=true
http://rd.connexity.net/rd2?mid=401...edirectId=15625496528395979766810090301008005

I have a 2016 Model LG OLED TV which still has the capacity to do EXCEPTIONAL 3D but all current models omit 3D [MOST unfortunately]. IMO, it's the BEST TV I've ever owned. The prices have come WAY down and SONY is also making OLED TVs, as well. Your best bet is going to a local BEST BUY or P C Richard's [if you have one in your area] and see them firsthand. Costco also sells TVs and SONY and SAMSUNG are now showing TVs with 8K [versus 4K] technology but there's nothing today in the US sporting 8K [except store driven hard drives]. SAMSUNG calls their technology QLED8K and it does upsample current 4K discs and TV driven 4K broadcasts to 8K but they're UBER expensive.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/LG-55-Cl...hguid=f912e4f4-00b-16bcf3974c3723&athena=true
http://rd.connexity.net/rd2?mid=401...edirectId=15625496528395979766810090301008005

BTW, Clement, take Mr. Life in Surround, Iron Mike, with you on your TV QUEST. Heck, he's watching the Telly on a 13" TV!

See the source image

😂
I think my (3D) TV is 55"
Our movie screen is 13' lol

I've been searching far and wide for a 3D PROJECTOR which will in some SMALL way replicate the 3D image on my 55" LG OLED TV but have read IMPOSSIBLE. OLED technology is UNOBTAINABLE in ALL projectors and is only available in FLATSCREENS and BTW, SONY has a 98" OLED FLATSCREEN TV for $90K. Wanna chip in with me and we could have bi~coastal MOVIE NIGHTS? Do you have $45K lying around ........in Lit'l Baggy's cookie jar?

See the source image

Last edited:
I've been searching far and wide for a 3D PROJECTOR which will in some SMALL way replicate the 3D image on my 55" LG OLED TV but have read IMPOSSIBLE. OLED technology is UNOBTAINABLE in ALL projectors and is only available in FLATSCREENS and BTW, SONY has a 98" OLED FLATSCREEN TV for $90K. Wanna chip in with me and we could have bi~coastal MOVIE NIGHTS? Do you have $45K lying around ........in Lit'l Baggy's cookie jar?
At that price we just need 100 buddies!
My LG 55 can't be OLED. Picture kinda sucks! Gets lighter around the edges. Still, not bad for $220!

At that price we just need 100 buddies!
My LG 55 can't be OLED. Picture kinda sucks! Gets light around the edges. Still, not bad for $220!

The nice thing, Mike, about watching a well mastered 3D movie on a 55" LG OLED TV is that it really extends the frame beyond those dimensions. I paid a lot back in 2016 for that TV [and it was ON SALE] but all future models ommitted 3D which was the ultimate bummer as I read it only added a few dollars to the actual manufacturing costs.

The nice thing, Mike, about watching a well mastered 3D movie on a 55" LG OLED TV is that it really extends the frame beyond those dimensions. I paid a lot back in 2016 for that TV [and it was ON SALE] but all future models ommitted 3D which was the ultimate bummer as I read it only added a few dollars to the actual manufacturing costs.
A bummer, indeed. Can your model be found anymore?

A bummer, indeed. Can your model be found anymore?

Maybe refurbished. It blows away by a WIDE margin the 'dismally dark' 3D image on my older Panasonic Plasma TV. That's what slays me .... they finally perfected 3D for the home and then they pull the plug...although I understand 3D is still somewhat more popular in Asia and Europe where they're still releasing 3D movies!

Bumping this because the thread got hijacked!

Miles Davis in Surround 1959 - 1992

Review of:
Kind of Blue
Sketches of Spain
In a Silent Way
Bitches Brew
The Collection (Audio Fidelity)
Tutu
Live at Montreux

Honorable mention:
Live/Evil
Definitive Montreux Collection

**corrected video - SQ better explained**

Last edited:
Bumping this because the thread got hijacked!

Miles Davis in Surround 1959 - 1992

Review of:
Kind of Blue
Sketches of Spain
In a Silent Way
Bitches Brew
The Collection (Audio Fidelity)
Tutu
Live at Montreux

Honorable mention:
Live/Evil
Definitive Montreux Collection

Mike, at 10:26 in the subject video, you state that SQ required a special stylus. It was actually CD-4 (an invention of the devil) that had the HF carrier system which required the special Shibata stylus. SQ records played with a conventional stylus on both stereo and quad systems. Otherwise, this is a terrific compendium of the Miles Davis stuff in surround.

Mike, at 10:26 in the subject video, you state that SQ required a special stylus. It was actually CD-4 (an invention of the devil) that had the HF carrier system which required the special Shibata stylus. SQ records played with a conventional stylus on both stereo and quad systems. Otherwise, this is a terrific compendium of the Miles Davis stuff in surround.
Ah, cool. Thanks for watching and the feedback. I'll see if I can float a correction in to the video.

Clement, sorry to break the news ...but the picture on your TELLY ain't coming back. When my Panasonic Plasma TV died ....... it was indeed moribund. Unfortunately, NO reincarnation. Time to invest in a new TV!🔲
Ed,
You have bad info in your video. Bitches brew was an SQ (matrix) disc as discussed, but it did not require a different cartridge/stylus. Only CD-4 Discrete required a change of cartridge/stylus.

Ed,
You have bad info in your video. Bitches brew was an SQ (matrix) disc as discussed, but it did not require a different cartridge/stylus. Only CD-4 Discrete required a change of cartridge/stylus.
Yes, yes! @ar surround addressed this two posts up. I'll do some kind of correction when I can.
Thanks for watching and the feedback.

Clement, sorry to break the news ...but the picture on your TELLY ain't coming back. When my Panasonic Plasma TV died ....... it was indeed moribund. Unfortunately, NO reincarnation. Time to invest in a new TV!
Get the cheapest one you find. Current models all have issues with HDR, and it seems it will take a long, long additional time to fix them.

If you are used to plasma, get the cheapest OLED (or maybe a used plasma but they go for a lot of money (relatively) these days) you can find as a temporary measure. And go Casablanca (wait, and wait and wait) on your "real" purchase.

Wanted a 65" TV as an upgrade to my 50" plasma. After one hour in the store, no way. I can't stand transmissive displays and the cheapest OLED (2018 model, HDR) was over my budget.

Back