Life in Surround - Surround Music Review and Discussion YouTube Channel

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not buying Pink Floyd's upcoming Dark Side Of The Moon set either. It's too expensive, they already did a box set of the album recently (as part of PF's Immersion series), and I'll stick to my SACD copy of the album.

PS: The only way I'd buy another copy of TDSOTM is if it came out as a single disc on Blu-Ray Audio (with the 5.1 mix, Atmos mix, the Alan Parsons Quad mix, an instrumental mix, and the original mix of the album). After all Gentle Giant did this with their fine reissue of Free Hand two years ago.

Last edited:
At $230, before tax, shipping, and all that, I wonder if the price is likely to be significantly lower elsewhere.
I can live without 8 lyric sheets.
Yes it should be. MP was $300 and I saw it as low as $148 on Amazon. PW was $180 and it is at this moment $119 on Amazon. If those numbers are applied to Signals at $230 it should end up somewhere around $150 or less..... eventually. Still arguably too high but much better.
At least that's what I will be waiting for.

Yes it should be. MP was $300 and I saw it as low as $148 on Amazon. PW was $180 and it is at this moment $119 on Amazon. If those numbers are applied to Signals at $230 it should end up somewhere around $150 or less..... eventually. Still arguably too high but much better.
At least that's what I will be waiting for.
I'll be going for a release day acquisition, for reviewing (I'd prefer an advance copy from UMe, but I don't seem to have the proper contact, yet).
It will be a bit of a cost hit, but worth it, for the cause.

I'll be going for a release day acquisition, for reviewing (I'd prefer an advance copy from UMe, but I don't seem to have the proper contact, yet).
It will be a bit of a cost hit, but worth it, for the cause.
I applaud you for taking one for the team. If you ever do get a contact you have your YouTube reviews to show your work. If they still resist due to the overall cost of the set, you could ask them to consider giving you just the blu-ray (because that's what "Life In Surround" is all about) and the cost to them would be negligible. (Not to mention that's all you care about anyway... LOL),

FYI,,, Just in case you were not aware, there was a blu-ray with the same 5.1 mix as one of the High Fidelity Pure Audio releases. (Same with the other two 5.1 mixes from the sector box sets)
I am pretty sure that one is OOP.
I managed to find a new one on Amazon Marketplace for less than the price they go on Discogs. I won't be getting the boxset.

Albums of the Week - Episode 4(?)

In this week's video:

Classic LP vs. modern 5.1 mix review announced (Genesis Tresspass)
Quad LP of the Week (Jim Croce I Have a Name)
Quest for the Best Albums From Around the World (Little Joe and the Latinaires On Tour, Mexico)
Reissue LP with Atmos album (Kenny Wayne Shepherd Trouble Is... 25)

I managed to find a new one on Amazon Marketplace for less than the price they go on Discogs. I won't be getting the boxset.
Just an FYI, I don't think the mix in the forthcoming box set is the same mix that is on the Pure Audio blu-ray, but I am glad you found it. If my memory is correct the back half of the album has a more adventurous/discrete mix than the first half.

Just an FYI, I don't think the mix in the forthcoming box set is the same mix that is on the Pure Audio blu-ray, but I am glad you found it. If my memory is correct the back half of the album has a more adventurous/discrete mix than the first half.
If we're all still talking about Signals, the HFPA/Sector 3 5.1 mix will not be included in the 40th Anniversary set.
5.1 & Atmos are both new, from the same session and engineer, Mr. Chycki.

IMO, the older 5.1 ain't bad.
The new Atmos mix is killer.

Passing on both Signals and DSOTM 50 box sets. So over supporting greedy record companies/bands gouging their fan bases with overpriced and less than definitive "deluxe" box sets. Also not worth the bother of purchasing and then having to sell used just to recoup some of the cost. Will be content to stream the Atmos mixes and enjoy reasonably priced physical copy offerings such as Alan Parsons Turn of a Friendly Card BD and Jethro Tull RökFlöte which I have on order.

Maybe Dutton or Sony Japan?
Really hopin'! Not getting any younger... two serious speed bumps last 4 years, so time is goofing with me. Had I been out hunting/fishing.. poof gone. Kathy has saved me twice now. Seriously way too damn young for these shenanigans. Anyway, keep on em'. ( Dutton Sony etc..) you have 'connections'! We know you do!🤝

Really hopin'! Not getting any younger... two serious speed bumps last 4 years, so time is goofing with me. Had I been out hunting/fishing.. poof gone. Kathy has saved me twice now. Seriously way too damn young for these shenanigans. Anyway, keep on em'. ( Dutton Sony etc..) you have 'connections'! We know you do!🤝
That hits close to home. Thankfully I'm in fairly good shape for my age. My wife, not so much. I just want to survive her so I can help her along. Then I hope I'm sitting right here listening to music when I go. No regrets then.

That hits close to home. Thankfully I'm in fairly good shape for my age. My wife, not so much. I just want to survive her so I can help her along. Then I hope I'm sitting right here listening to music when I go. No regrets then.
Your post got me.. We married as just kids (18), gradeschool is when I lost my mind over her. Still have, over 40 years married. She's a beauty and heart of gold.. She is the reason I am typing this, for the second time. Last time (last April) we were listening to a 5.1 anniversary Jethro Tull set she had got me as a gift. I had no idea. It shipped all the way from the UK. Songs from the wood anniversary book set. I got up from sitting rt next to her to pull the blinds down (certain types of light gets to me since the first one.) and I turned and couldn't talk or look to my right.....worse from there, I can't remember. Worst of all, is I scared her so much. I never wanted her to go through that...again. She is and always has been my little angel. I want you to know that I truly hope things go as best as possible. Not super religious, but a heartfelt God Bless to you both.

Last edited:
Back