Life in Surround - Surround Music Review and Discussion YouTube Channel

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Multichannel Music News!

Fish - 13th Star
Ziggy - complete film, restored video, fresh 5.1 mix
Zappa - only seeing it on Zappa store - Atmos and original Quad
SW - THC - some versions are selling out - stand-alone BD
Nektar - Remember the Future - new 5.1 and classic Quad on BD - unknown quality of 5.1 - Cherry Red
Soord - Illuminations Kscope artbook set - Kscope book set - 5.1 DVD
Who's Next - massive set releases soon
PF 50th Stand-alone BD
Peter Gabriel I/O - AppleMusic/bandcamp - most exciting thing I've heard lately
Santana/McLaughlin Love Devotion Surrender Quad SACD ordered with Super Session Quad SACD
The Yes Album - Atmos "upgrade" era
Duran Duran - Danse Macabre - Bob Clearmountain Atmos BD
Prince - Diamonds and Pearls - 1st Price album in Atmos
The Tragically Hip - Phantom Power Atmos!

Get well soon Mike! 🤗

I'm with you on the Steven Wilson THC release. Pretty underwhelmed by Economies Of Scale and can only hope for more interesting material on the rest of the album. Although the alternate "re-imagined" album with guest artists sounds intriguing, it looks like it will only be available in the deluxe set on a CD, not on the blu-ray in multi-ch or hi-res - I strongly suspect the blu-ray would have had plenty of room for it. Seems like just an excuse to cram another disc in the package. Standalone blu-ray is the format I'm going with - at least the price is reasonable.

As to The Yes Album reissue, I fully expect this to happen with many of the higher profile and progressive rock bands that have already gone down the surround/deluxe re-issue path, i.e. Yes, King Crimson, ELP, Jethro Tull, etc. That wouldn't bother me except for the price gouging. The early details on The Yes Album reissue package is that in addition to the new Atmos mix, it will contain a mountain of material with questionable value: a vinyl LP of the the original album mix, much of the older Steven Wilson remix material already released on multiple formats, and a "rare" mono mix of the album. I sure am eager to hear a mono version of this album - aren't you?

In this day of hi-res digital stereo and multichannel "spatial" music, forcing people to purchase the archaic vinyl format along with digital formats for an inflated price is both moronic and insulting and will be an absolute deal breaker for me. I would gladly purchase a standalone blu-ray, or cd/blu-ray package, but not a package that is filled with unwanted and duplicated material. So far, King Crimson has elected to go the CD/Blu-Ray route with their Atmos re-issues and have managed to include a lot of new material, and just recently Pink Floyd decided to release stand-alone blu-rays of Animals 5.1 and DSOTM Atmos. We can only hope others will be willing to do the same, or I won't be buying it.

Isn't every 2-bit hypster buying coloured vinyl ?!

I know that offering vinyl copies of releases in every conceivable rainbow color has definitely become a thing. Make no mistake, I have no problem with anyone into vinyl collecting, even those who think it's a superior format. Just don't force consumers who have moved on to newer technologies to support an older analog format they do not want to go back to, and probably don't even have the equipment to play it on. Just offer separate format packages and let everyone choose what they want.

It’s kind of sad how many Hudson Music drum DVDs I own and yet still I have no meaningful skill on the drums. Apparently you’re supposed to practice what you see in those videos.

Regardless, it wouldn’t be a good drum video library if I didn’t have at least one Peart DVD...

Peart-Taking-Center-Stage.jpg

It’s kind of sad how many Hudson Music drum DVDs I own and yet still I have no meaningful skill on the drums. Apparently you’re supposed to practice what you see in those videos.

Regardless, it wouldn’t be a good drum video library if I didn’t have at least one Peart DVD...

Peart-Taking-Center-Stage.jpg
I love this one! The breakdown of the live set is worth watching for ANY Rush fan.

Baggie, maybe you should do a 2-minute video about the Marillion limited reprints of the deluxe editions for Misplaced Childhood and Clutching at Straws?

Baggie, maybe you should do a 2-minute video about the Marillion limited reprints of the deluxe editions for Misplaced Childhood and Clutching at Straws?
I think text-based posts get the message out well enough. I have very limited time to do videos. Marillion videos actually result in very few views, usually, sadly enough.
Time is a currency we only get to spend once. I'm doing my best to make the highest value videos that I can.
I appreciate suggestions, though!

Really enjoyed this Neil centric LiS. Your top 12 isn’t too far off mine, with the exception of Feedback. I would have a very hard time limiting it to 12. If I were going to choose a live album it would be AtWaS. The songs may be better on ESL but I don’t like the fade outs and ins between songs

Last edited:
Neil Peart - A Birthday Reflection for 2023
A celebration of his books, instructional videos, and my top 12 Rush albums.

Thanks for taking the time to put this together and posting it. Neil was such a great artist. I took your advise and set aside time last night to listen to the 5.1 Farewell to Kings and the Atmos Signals. Great stuff.

P.S. I also REALLY enjoy Feedback. After the dark days for Neil and the almost gritted-teeth/"Let's just get through this" vibe of the original Vapor Trails release, I've always thought that Geddy, Alex, and Neil finally sound like they're enjoying themselves with the Feedback set list.

Who's Next | Life House
Blu-ray Audio Review
Super Deluxe Set Review pt. 1

Great review, and your comments are spot on. It bears repeating, the bonus tracks are the real treasure in this set, for me anyway. The quality of the songs, sound quality and SW Atmos mix for these 14 tracks are simply amazing. The Seeker, Naked Eye, Join Together, Let's See Action and Relay especially.

Who's Next | Life House
Blu-ray Audio Review
Super Deluxe Set Review pt. 1

A really a glowing review of the package, Mike, and yet you've given the set only an 8 in the poll. Had you given an 8 to Paranoid, @GOS would've sent Sabbath wraiths after you. Since I am as gung ho about Who's Next as Gene is about Sabbath, I am going to send John Entwistle's ex-wife after you. Word has it that she is extremely dangerous.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Back