Listening Now To This Stereo Blu Ray

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nirvana - In Utero - High Fidelity Blu-ray Pure Audio Disc 600753453049 ...

B599F009-0F88-41E2-8BDC-4178B0E73295.jpeg

The Doobie Brothers - Quadio

Despite being marketed as a Quad release I listened in two channel 24/192 DTS-HD hence I’m posting in this thread.
Not much to say about the music other than it’s one of the greatest four album runs ever. Multiple hits and each record has at least two killer deep cuts.

The sound is a mixed bag IMO.
Toulouse: Excellent, detailed with a wide soundstage. Best of the bunch.
Captain: Big disappointment. When compared to the DVD-A and MoFi SACD this BD is a distant 3rd.
Vices: Decent
Stampede: OK, warmest of the bunch

Overall, I prefer the SACDs.
Will post again in the other thread when I’ve had time to play the quads.

IMG_1764.png

Bob Dylan - Time Out of Mind 2022 Remix

Now I get the reverence for this album: it’s great.
Sounds good to me in 2.0 LPCM on this Bluray. The Atmos mix shows up as 7.1 Dolby HD on my player which I downmixed to stereo. Sounded fine but the level is super low, I’ll stick to the regular stereo.
Intend to buy the Lanois version on CD too.

View attachment 91859
Bob Dylan - Time Out of Mind 2022 Remix

Now I get the reverence for this album: it’s great.
Sounds good to me in 2.0 LPCM on this Bluray. The Atmos mix shows up as 7.1 Dolby HD on my player which I downmixed to stereo. Sounded fine but the level is super low, I’ll stick to the regular stereo.
Intend to buy the Lanois version on CD too.
The “super low” level is because the sound in the Atmos mix hasn’t been overly compressed during mastering like the standard stereo tracks. It’s a good sign, that reveals that it isn’t a victim of the loudness war.

Just turn up the volume when listening to the down mixed Atmos - this is how the music is meant to sound with the full dynamic range of the music intact.

The “super low” level is because the sound in the Atmos mix hasn’t been overly compressed during mastering like the standard stereo tracks. It’s a good sign, that reveals that it isn’t a victim of the loudness war.

Just turn up the volume when listening to the down mixed Atmos - this is how the music is meant to sound with the full dynamic range of the music intact.
I’ll try again but it’ll mean cranking the volume way higher (on most “quiet” discs it’s in the low to mid 30’s on my amplifier’s display, this was 60) than anything else in my collection, quieter even than MFSL Crime of the Century.

Yes it’s not ideal - but it is a way to access uncompressed tracks, that should really have been available in standard stereo.

The Crime of the Century Blu Ray is how it should be done for stereo and Breakfast in America Blu Ray is another example of how not to do it.

Be careful to turn the volume down IMMEDIATELY when that disc is over. That way, nothing will have an "event." Unintended consequences once you return to compressed and/or brickwalled discs.
I know, that’s why I’m hesitant to play it this way.
Adding to that, the Atmos signal on this disc obviously isn’t gapless so everytime it switches in & out between tracks my Bryston DAC pops (this is a known quirk). Makes it unsafe to play.
Will try the Sony 800M2 but I don’t think it can downmix.
Sigh, first world problems, eh? ;)

CEB110C4-A018-4C64-8F08-D8F37758B586.jpeg

Suede

24/96 Stereo LPCM from the SDE Bluray.
Like this more a bit more than I expected because some of the “hits” may be the worst songs on the album. The rest are pretty good.
Sound is normal for records of this era, not terrible, not great
The major weak point, IMO, is the singer (and he’s super annoying on the videos).
Overall this isn’t an an album that will get much future play around here.

Last edited:
AF336C04-EE9E-443E-A32C-010C63AE9676.jpeg

Alice Cooper - Billion Dollar Babies

Stereo 24/192 from the Quadio BD. Haven’t played the album in a while, lots of great tracks here. Some sound a bit weird (wish I could be more descriptive) not sure it that’s normal.
Not saying there is a problem, it just sounds…different?
Will listen to the DVD-A and Audio Fidelity for comparison. I recall Steve Hoffman saying many songs were different tonally when he worked on the AF. I certainly hear that on this disc.

16122E2D-B947-4AF6-8CFD-013DE129CECD.jpeg

Jefferson Starship - Red Octopus

In stereo 24/192 dts-HD from the Quadio BR. Mastered really low, which is good, but man does this disc sound muffled on the first two tracks, even on my system which I sometimes think verges on being too detailed. Brightens up some after that .
I played the DCC 24 K a few months back, it was better than this.

Last edited:
E013915F-FC94-4468-A06A-F42C81C53185.jpeg

Spinners

Reviews of the quad presentation are decidedly mixed, but listening in 24/192 stereo it sounds just fine.
Absolutely love the bass line during the word “around” in I’ll Be Around .

4F3D54AC-B461-4D27-A557-A3E83C2852ED.jpeg

Gordon Lightfoot - Sundown

Though I am a proud Canadian and big supporter of homegrown music, this is the first time I’ve heard a complete Gordon Lightfoot album.
It’s good, though I’ve always found his voice an acquired taste.
The sound on this Bluray in 24/192 DTS-HD is fine though a bit gritty in places, especially noticeable on the vocals.

Back