Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think somebody checked these albums in passing a couple of weeks ago, but the classical-curious (especially those curious about contemporary "classical" music) might want to take special note, if they haven't already. Icelandic composer Anna Thorvaldsdottir has generated a lot of buzz over the past decade or so, and Phil Freeman, who writes mainly about jazz and experimental music, devoted his latest Burning Ambulance Substack post to her:
Thorvaldsdottir’s music is likely not what the average person thinks of when they hear the phrase “classical music.” However, its atmosphere and tonalities are likely to appeal quite strongly to fans of forbidding music of any genre (dark ambient, industrial, noise, post-metal). With a quality sound system and proper lighting design, the music on Aerial could turn a concert hall into a deeply unsettling place, one filled with listeners under 60. On the other hand, In the Light of Air, while it retains the emotional intensity of the shorter pieces, adds enough brightness and positivity to demonstrate the vastness of Thorvaldsdottir’s compositional imagination and sonic universe.
https://burningambulance.substack.com/p/anna-thorvaldsdottir
Luckily, Thorsvaldsdottir's music has also been superbly recorded--and mixed for Atmos--by Daniel Shores and his Sono Luminus label. Most of it has been released on Blu-Ray, but lately at least a few of the Atmos mixes have also made their way to Apple Music, including these:

Last edited:
I think somebody checked these albums in passing a couple of weeks ago, but the classical-curious (especially those curious about contemporary "classical" music) might want to take special note, if they haven't already. Icelandic composer Anna Thorvaldsdottir has generated a lot of buzz over the past decade or so, and Phil Freeman, who writes mainly about jazz and experimental music, devoted his latest Burning Ambulance Substack post to her:

https://burningambulance.substack.com/p/anna-thorvaldsdottir
Luckily, Thorsvaldsdottir's music has also been superbly recorded--and mixed for Atmos--by Daniel Shores and his Sono Luminus label. Most of it has been released on Blu-Ray, but lately at least a few of the Atmos mixes have also made their way to Apple Music, including these:
I'm not seeing the Atmospheriques Vol. I in atmos? My impression was that ARCHORA / AIŌN was the first Sono Luminus release in atmos on Apple Music. I hope there are more to follow.

sounds kinda bright but wow they certainly used all channels here - including the Heights for Love Unlimited's unmistakable backing vocals and some nifty keyboard work - extensively and to great effect! 🤩

for me Barry was (still is!) a musical genius 💘 my Dad absolutely loved him and introduced me to him as a little kid, i was hooked on his music from word go and Gene Page's sumptuous arrangements i found captivating even when i was only knee high to a chicklet 🐣🥰

so so happy to hear his debut record getting a new lease on life in Surround and in such spectacular fashion 🥳 hopefully they do all his 70's Classics in Atmos, plenty more gems where this came from🤞

Back