Listening to Now (In Dolby Atmos)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sometimes an easy fix is hit the back button and when music track starts again it won’t be clipped off.

I paid extra attention when I played Scarecrow the second time and get a split second clip at the very beginning of most of the Atmos tracks. Paul Sinclair on SDE stated that the disc may have been authored as individual tracks instead of one continuous one. I would think they are because I have individual track timing instead of one continuous album. And no, it doesn’t help to restart the track by using the back button or going forward to the next track. This is while using my OPPO BDP-93. I have yet to try the disc in my UDP-205.

That's so weird, I've been hearing about that problem, mostly from @Bob Romano, but I don't believe I've ever experienced it.

Are you on Wi-Fi maybe?
my Brother's got his ATV hooked up via Ethernet with a 150mbps connection and Atmos tracks still get cut off on his rig.

mine cuts off Atmos tracks on a fairly similar connection but i'm limited to WiFi.

i think it maybe to do with the time it takes the Receiver to lock on and start decoding the signal via HDMI or possibly some HDMI handshaking issue?

image.jpg

Having a Beatles Sunday morning

As a general comment, I need to be convinced to go to music streaming, esp. Apple. That said, I'm loving the Dolby Atmos that
is now available on the popular tv/movie sites, you know the ones. I can see being sucked into that music-streaming world,
yet that would be another fee or three. Grr. This all needs to be bundled more. There, I said it.

But I'm a physical guy (sorry, Madonna). Currently, apart from the very unexpected but welcome Eno release, I'm catching up
on other things. For Saturday night, ABBEY ROAD, baby (until I get EJ's GOODBYE YELLOW BRICK road on blu ray). Right?
Sign up for a free or super low cost introductory offer for Tidal or Apple Music and give it try. The trade-off from lossless/physical Atmos is the plethora of great Atmos tracks that are only on streaming. Seeing that you like Elton John, I would start there.

I paid extra attention when I played Scarecrow the second time and get a split second clip at the very beginning of most of the Atmos tracks. Paul Sinclair on SDE stated that the disc may have been authored as individual tracks instead of one continuous one. I would think they are because I have individual track timing instead of one continuous album. And no, it doesn’t help to restart the track by using the back button or going forward to the next track. This is while using my OPPO BDP-93. I have yet to try the disc in my UDP-205.
Hi Perp, my comment was while streaming. Does not work at all with hard discs, they are what they are.
Maybe I will re-rip the Scarecrow as one continuous, and not as chapters and it might be better? I probably won't do anything.
Especially if they are authored that way , no ripping can change that.
Back to streaming, when listening to a streaming song and the start is a little clipped, hitting the back button usually fixes that and won't happen again if you listen to full album.

Hi Perp, my comment was while streaming. Does not work at all with hard discs, they are what they are.
Maybe I will re-rip the Scarecrow as one continuous, and not as chapters and it might be better? I probably won't do anything.
Especially if they are authored that way , no ripping can change that.
Back to streaming, when listening to a streaming song and the start is a little clipped, hitting the back button usually fixes that and won't happen again if you listen to full album.
I see. I didn’t know it was for streaming. I thought there was a separate Streaming Thread for the streaming crowd and figured it was for the BD which I see many found to be a problem.

Since we have two of these threads (this one and Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple), I was thinking about amending the name of this one slightly to something like "Listening to in Dolby Atmos (BluRay/Physical Media) and moving it to either the BluRay Audio Discussion forum, or the Object-Based Surround forum. Good idea/bad idea? Thoughts?
I don't mind. (And I seem to remember one or two folks trying to drum up support for such an idea in the past, too, either here or elsewhere.) Of course there are hi-res Atmos downloads, too.

I don't mind. (And I seem to remember one or two folks trying to drum up support for such an idea in the past, too, either here or elsewhere.) Of course there are hi-res Atmos downloads, too.
True; we'll introduce ours (NativeDSD labels that provide Atmos in .MKVs) this week or so. Maybe "Listening to TrueHD Atmos"?

How many lossless discs are there total?
I suppose all BD discs with Atmos are lossless, or am I wrong?
Streaming Atmos is lossy as we all now. How many discs with Atmos there are I don't know, but I have quite some and there are many released that I don't have. This could also be downloads with lossless Atmos.

I think the delineation I'm trying to make here is one thread is for streaming and one is for physical releases, because the streaming thread generally is full of links to Apple Music and Tidal, whereas this thread is primarily full of photographs of either discs/packaging or playback menus on people's home theater setups. The lossy/lossless thing isn't irrelevant, but I think it's less relevant than the mode of transport (ie physical vs. digital streaming/downloads) not to mention that BluRay discs aren't lossless by default and Atmos streaming could very well one day be upgraded to losless TrueHD Atmos instead of the current lossy DD+ Atmos.

I think the delineation I'm trying to make here is one thread is for streaming and one is for physical releases, because the streaming thread generally is full of links to Apple Music and Tidal, whereas this thread is primarily full of photographs of either discs/packaging or playback menus on people's home theater setups. The lossy/lossless thing isn't irrelevant, but I think it's less relevant than the mode of transport (ie physical vs. digital streaming/downloads) not to mention that BluRay discs aren't lossless by default and Atmos streaming could very well one day be upgraded to losless TrueHD Atmos instead of the current lossy DD+ Atmos.
Atmos on BD are always lossless as far as I know, as it's based on Dolby True HD.

Fair enough. The only reason I raised the downloads issue is that there are already some downloadable Atmos MP4s and/or MKVs that aren't available in physical formats, and I expect we'll see more. Probably not worth overthinking, though; I'd say do what makes most sense to you.

I think we can probably just start another thread, 'Listening To in Atmos Downloads' if there are enough to warrant it, given how many of these niche 'Listening To' threads there seem to already be around these parts.

I suppose all BD discs with Atmos are lossless, or am I wrong?
Streaming Atmos is lossy as we all now. How many discs with Atmos there are I don't know, but I have quite some and there are many released that I don't have. This could also be downloads with lossless Atmos.
No. What I meant was how many Atmos releases have there been on Blu-ray. Music only.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back