Listening to Now (In Dolby Atmos)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Funny that right now based on this info, my couch is against wall and I have two right and left ceiling speakers already in place with my two rears facing my right and left ear.
In 2016 when I first set up my intended rears where to be rear ceilings with the tweeter angled towards sweet spot. I later decided I wasn't quite getting the surround sound I wanted and unhooked the ceilings and added two bookshelf speakers on stands where I remain today.
So i guess all I need to do is plug in those two ceilings and bang, I have a 5.1.2 ready to go. No work, just plug and play.
But, sadly I wan't out of the living room, time for a change or reconfigure the living room rig, oh well I'll figure it out.

I had mentioned I went 5.1.2 but wished I'd gone 5.1.4

I have a setup with a sofa more to the back wall and combined with difficulty making a 5.1.4 setup work in my ceiling that dictated my choice.

At first I thought that it was good but would have probably been better with more ceiling speakers.

I've since gotten used to it and wonder if in my room and seating position whether more ceiling speaker would improve things or not.

Overall I'm happy with my setup. 4 Paradigm Studio 40s with matching center, a Rythmik F15HP sub and 2 Tannoy CMS 801DC BM ceiling speakers.
Our situations are pretty much mirror images. I went with 5.1.4 even though my seating position is closer to the back wall. Sometimes I wonder if 5.1.2 would have been better because the rear heights can be a little over-powering, but I can definitely tell when things are in the front heights and the rear heights. I'm going to gradually keep moving the sofa further out in the room until my wife can't tolerate it :)

One thing I would advise anybody who had not set-up their Atmos system is to check out the Dolby website's Atmos recommendations for speaker angles. The other piece of advice I received was to have as much separation between the heights and the surround speakers as possible (basically have your surrounds as low as it makes sense).

Our situations are pretty much mirror images. I went with 5.1.4 even though my seating position is closer to the back wall. Sometimes I wonder if 5.1.2 would have been better because the rear heights can be a little over-powering, but I can definitely tell when things are in the front heights and the rear heights. I'm going to gradually keep moving the sofa further out in the room until my wife can't tolerate it :)

One thing I would advise anybody who had not set-up their Atmos system is to check out the Dolby website's Atmos recommendations for speaker angles. The other piece of advice I received was to have as much separation between the heights and the surround speakers as possible (basically have your surrounds as low as it makes sense).
That's a good tip.

Most problems is with main speakers also reflecting the sound from the ceiling.
I have the ceiling absorbed 45% from front to back and therefore no reflections from the mains. So the ceiling speakers have full impact! :)
That is another great idea, so is that what they call an acoustic cloud panel?

You can see it on the ceiling.
No here is no wife! 😂
82FC1078-99CE-485F-9E21-C433A8C88763.jpeg

At least a couple of those tracks have been available for a while, I think, but IMO "What's Going On" and "Don't Believe the Hype" are two of the better examples of Atmos mixing on Tidal right now, with elements subtly dispersed all around the room, including in the overheads. I'm not keen on the symphonic "2020" reimagining of "DBTH" per se, but Genewick's mixing is exemplary, just the same.

At least a couple of those tracks have been available for a while, I think, but IMO "What's Going On" and "Don't Believe the Hype" are two of the better examples of Atmos mixing on Tidal right now, with elements subtly dispersed all around the room, including in the overheads. I'm not keen on the symphonic "2020" reimagining of "DBTH" per se, but Genewick's mixing is exemplary, just the same.
I'll have to give the "Don't believe the Hype" remix a second chance purely for the Atmos. I couldn't get past the re-imagining of that and "Mama said knock you out." There was an interview with Genewick where he implies that the re-imagined hip-hop tracks have not been well received.

I cannot do the Hip Hop tracks no matter how good the mix. Its the only form of music that I cannot listen to

Not trying to start an argument here; in the end, people listen to what they want to listen to. But hip-hop, like "rock" or "classical" or any other big category, contains dozens of different styles and subgenres.

Not trying to start an argument here; in the end, people listen to what they want to listen to. But hip-hop, like "rock" or "classical" or any other big category, contains dozens of different styles and subgenres.
I agree its the ones where every other word is a swear word and the swear word for a black person.

I agree its the ones where every other word is a swear word and the swear word for a black person.

Well, this is a surround music forum, not a linguistics forum, so I don't want to go too far down this path. But when, for whom, and in what circumstances a particular word is meant or taken as obscene or offensive or even "vulgar" aren't constants. It's a vexed, delicate subject, and you aren't the only person for whom the use of the N-word in contemporary music, TV, movies, comedy, and literature grates on the ear--for lots of different reasons. That includes people within the hip-hop community, where over the decades there's been a complicated and evolving discussion about this. So anyway, I guess I find it just as hard to be an absolutist about a particular word as I do about a particular style or genre of music. But I'll step away from the lectern now...and maybe go listen to the original version of Public Enemy's "Don't Believe the Hype"!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back