Listening to Now (In Dolby Atmos)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you will find they are stating the maximum speaker set up which can be used to enjoy either the Atmos or Auro 3D.
the object vs speaker difference can be thought of as atmos having 34 sound objects and if each object had it's own dedicated speaker you would need 34 speakers
like I said, The atmos mix on the disc is basically "scaled down" to play on the limitations of your home AVR so that's how the manufacturer is going to list it for a home release.
Hmm... I still think you're both thinking in pre-Atmos terms, where the only object was a speaker. The Atmos object concept is certainly not some sort of "maximum speaker" concept. An Atmos receiver does not "scale down" its objects to play on a lesser number of speakers, but rather inherently mixes its objects to make a spacial sound field out of whatever number and placement of speakers you have available. Very different concepts.

People have been arranging hundreds of speakers in a spherical placement, with a capable Atmos-style decoder that can precisely locate those 34 objects so that a near-perfect 3D spacial field is created. If you think of it this way, you can see the idea of "scaling down" those 34 objects is not what's happening at all.

People have been arranging hundreds of speakers in a spherical placement, with a capable Atmos-style decoder that can precisely locate those 34 objects so that a near-perfect 3D spacial field is created.

my point still stands, you think a manufacturer should list atmos to appease that one crazy person in the world crazy enough to do that in their home?

They are targeting the mainstream avg Joe who half don't even know what surround music is but they see that they can play more speakers than just the 5.1 they had hooked up before they upgraded to atmos.

Wow, what a great surprise! Not easy to find on Tidal either, your link took me to the stereo version and had to browse over the three versions of the song appearing in the EP section of Steven's discography. Not the most adventurous mix in Atmos but a pleasure to listen, specially Elton's section at the end.
Do you feel like the volume is even lower than usual for Atmos tracks?I'm up to 72 in my Marantz where I rarely have to go up 60 with the rest of Atmos in Tidal.

The Post Malone album is pretty interesting. I didn't think I would like it and then listened to all of it and went back for several songs.
The height and rear speakers are used often for vocals, usually for the guest on the song -
and there a lot of guests. Various producers are involved, and there are a lot of creative sounds and textures going on.
Pros: SZA vocals, Halsey vocals. Ozzy Osbourne, Andrew Watt, Chad Smith, & Travis Scott all on a song.
Cons: autotune (on most male voices), the song with Kanye West.

SW Personal Shopper pure bliss for just under 10 mins!!
image.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back