Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And I took a great deal of wonderful trips UP Lake Shore Drive listening to this album . . . seems antithetically counterintuitive . . . go figure! peas and carrots

peace and caritas

I listened to this album today with bittersweet nostaglia after reading that dreadful article about the Universal Fire in 2008 in which ALL those Carpenter Master Multitracks were destroyed and how Richard Carpenter, after he remixed this disc from the multis, dutifully returned them ON TIME. Had he waited a few weeks, they would've been INTACT:

See the source image

Let us know how good the Atmos sound is when you get it.

Unfortunately, Goona, I'm not presently equipped for ATMOS but since the event was recorded at most via 4~tracks [it was made for BBC TV at the time] I'm assuming the difference between 5.1 and ATMOS won't be at all dramatic. But at least the video portion was remastered in 4K!

Magenta - Seven; DVD 5.1 Dolby Digital
Got this for Father’s Day after it got a big thumbs up from Sean (skherbeck). Glad I did. Dig the music (Yes-ish prog with plenty of great vocals and guitar/keyboard solos), the highly discrete and immersive mix, and the fantastic fidelity.

I would never be able to tell this is Dolby Digital. I guess Sean was right about that too when he commented on how great Ayreon’s Final Fantasy DD 5.1 mix sounded.

One song for each of the 7 deadly sins and all of them in the 10-14 minute range with the exception of Anger (5+ minutes). The result is numerous ample instrumental sections that are well displayed by the disc’s great sonics.

Magenta - Seven; DVD 5.1 Dolby Digital
Got this for Father’s Day after it got a big thumbs up from Sean (skherbeck). Glad I did. Dig the music (Yes-ish prog with plenty of great vocals and guitar/keyboard solos), the highly discrete and immersive mix, and the fantastic fidelity.

I would never be able to tell this is Dolby Digital. I guess Sean was right about that too when he commented on how great Ayreon’s Final Fantasy DD 5.1 mix sounded.

One song for each of the 7 deadly sins and all of them in the 10-14 minute range with the exception of Anger (5+ minutes). The result is numerous ample instrumental sections that are well displayed by the disc’s great sonics.

Let me let you in on a dirty little secret....there are a lot of excellent DD recordings....don't let the haters keep you from buying them (y)

Let me let you in on a dirty little secret....there are a lot of excellent DD recordings....don't let the haters keep you from buying them (y)

Is that why MY ears were ringing, Clinty?

I don't hate DD, Clinty .... just think it's a cop out with all the advances in technology and it in no way represents what's on those 15 or 30 ips tapes. The Truth IS out THERE!:alien:

Last edited:
So you managed to cancel the stereo-only copy you ordered? 👍

Makes me smile every time I see the CBS quad gold label on one of those discs...
Yep. Thanks to J-puppers, IIRC.
The package is fun, I'll admit. I'd love to save at least $10 per, but it's still better than a box for $100+!

Been jonesing for this one for a LONG time--saw it for $25 and pounced on it! Well worth the wait!
View attachment 41079
That's what I'm listening to! I've been messing around tonight with the first 3 songs trying to get the fidelity a little closer to the rest of the album... what a great bunch of songs... and generally pretty good quad mixes (even with the lead vocal "everywhere" lol)

Back