Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just had Les Miserables 5.1 delivered. Steer cleer this disc is a complete waste of money for surround quality it is terrible, voices only out of center and too loud, no rears I turned it off after a couple of songs and put the movie Blu ray on so much better.
This disc makes you appreciate how great the the likes of Schneiner and Wilson discs are.

I second THAT. Sounds overly compressed to me and nothing in the rears ...........As you stated in the POLL thread for Les Mis, hopefully the UHD4K version will sport a stunning ATMOS/5.1 soundtrack and blow away this Universal BD~A MESS!

BIRD 3 [Silverline Rercords/MLP DVD~A 5.1 96/24] One of the better Silverline hi res discs

5182hV8zx9L.jpg

5.0 out of 5 starsAbsolute Proof that Talent has LITTLE to do with Success.
September 15, 2010
Format: Audio CD
It is a cold, hard truth, that success often has little to do with effort or talent (see Jersey Shore, Paris Hilton, K-Fed, Kim Kardashian, etc.). Being well-connected has always been an easier route, and it has still yielded marvelous results. Of course, there are always exceptions but then it depends a lot on the climate that you are in, your audience, are they 'ready' for you, and for what you have to say. If not, then your chances of success drop considerably. It is called "wrong place-wrong time syndrome" and we have all encountered it. When it happens to a rock band, they can literally disappear with only a cd proving they ever existed. Bird 3 is such a band. I have seen rare photos of Bird (the lead guitar player and singer), apparently he liked to wear white wings on his back while he played, and he a little off (clearly). But he was also a virtuoso guitar player. There is a legend that at one show he didn't like how he was playing and went into a 5-minute solo that (apparently) would have rivaled some of Jimi Hendrix' finest live work. I don't know if any of that is true, and I don't really care, it is a nifty legend. What I do know is that this is easily one of the best albums to come out in 2001; a year that saw the rise of the White Stripes, Interpol, Coldplay, to name a few. If you like the Foo Fighters' early sound, this album is indispensable. Every song is outstanding; and yet, sadly, no one knows. There are no websites, no wikis, no blogs. It's almost like they never even existed. But they did, and we have proof, and we are very glad we do.
Wow! Thanks for the head's up and powerful review. I read a bit on allmusic and then found a copy--I can't wait to hear it! No entry for the Silverline release on discogs :unsure:Peace

Wow! Thanks for the head's up and powerful review. I read a bit on allmusic and then found a copy--I can't wait to hear it! No entry for the Silverline release on discogs :unsure:Peace

I think you'll enjoy it. It's a great rock 'n roll album with some nice slow numbers. All in all, I think Silverline Records produced some remarkable discs ... which I used to buy for $12 each ......At least they're MLP 96/24.........This one IS special.

Couldn't sleep, so
1564721015526.png

Gotta love a disc that has at least one vote for each number 1-10! And how about the three different iterations of vocals with Crosby, Stills, and Nash ("Are You Ready For The Country?" = Crosby & Nash, "Alabama" = Crosby & Stills, "Words" = Nash & Stills). "The Needle And The Damage Done" still strikes me as one of the most harrowing tracks of all time . . . how the funk can I sleep after hearing that?!?

52DA11EA-9997-4C3A-9080-D5B2507837E4.jpeg

George Onslow: Quintet, Op. 81, Sextet, Op. 30

Ma'alot Quintett
Markus Becker (piano)
Nabil Shehata (double bass)

Delightful, sunny music for wind instruments, piano and double bass. Similar to Mozart and Beethoven’s Quintets for Piano and Winds. Surround mix is ambient but it helps fill out the soundstage.

BIRD 3 [Silverline Rercords/MLP DVD~A 5.1 96/24] One of the better Silverline hi res discs

5182hV8zx9L.jpg

5.0 out of 5 starsAbsolute Proof that Talent has LITTLE to do with Success.
September 15, 2010
Format: Audio CD
It is a cold, hard truth, that success often has little to do with effort or talent (see Jersey Shore, Paris Hilton, K-Fed, Kim Kardashian, etc.). Being well-connected has always been an easier route, and it has still yielded marvelous results. Of course, there are always exceptions but then it depends a lot on the climate that you are in, your audience, are they 'ready' for you, and for what you have to say. If not, then your chances of success drop considerably. It is called "wrong place-wrong time syndrome" and we have all encountered it. When it happens to a rock band, they can literally disappear with only a cd proving they ever existed. Bird 3 is such a band. I have seen rare photos of Bird (the lead guitar player and singer), apparently he liked to wear white wings on his back while he played, and he a little off (clearly). But he was also a virtuoso guitar player. There is a legend that at one show he didn't like how he was playing and went into a 5-minute solo that (apparently) would have rivaled some of Jimi Hendrix' finest live work. I don't know if any of that is true, and I don't really care, it is a nifty legend. What I do know is that this is easily one of the best albums to come out in 2001; a year that saw the rise of the White Stripes, Interpol, Coldplay, to name a few. If you like the Foo Fighters' early sound, this album is indispensable. Every song is outstanding; and yet, sadly, no one knows. There are no websites, no wikis, no blogs. It's almost like they never even existed. But they did, and we have proof, and we are very glad we do.

Thanks I just located a copy on ebay also for a lower cost than shipping....$3.46 total. looking forward to hearing this. In the worst case scenario I will now have an extra DVDA case....... :)

I think you'll enjoy it. It's a great rock 'n roll album with some nice slow numbers. All in all, I think Silverline Records produced some remarkable discs ... which I used to buy for $12 each ......At least they're MLP 96/24.........This one IS special.

Thanks for posting about this. I have ordered a copy as well.
Totally missed on this one and look forward to it.
You are correct there are some good Silverline releases.

tbh i didn't think the 5.1 was anything to write home about.. 🤔

Interestingly, Adam, Bird 3 was remixed to 5.1 by Ken Caillat and Klaus Trelby [?]

Kenneth Douglas Caillat is an American record producer. He is best known for engineering the Fleetwood Mac albums Rumours, Tusk, Mirage, Live, and The Chain Box Set.

Interestingly, Adam, Bird 3 was remixed to 5.1 by Ken Caillat and Klaus Trelby [?]

Kenneth Douglas Caillat is an American record producer. He is best known for engineering the Fleetwood Mac albums Rumours, Tusk, Mirage, Live, and The Chain Box Set.

oh yeah? not a patch on any of his Fleetwood Mac 5.1's imho 🙂

Back