Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Same here. Actually to be truthful I dismissed him back in the 70's when all his stuff came out. I never bought any of his albums but now I have 5 of the sacds. The last couple of nights I listened to all of them in a row and enjoyed every minute.

The utter joy hearing these albums in surround sound.. for a lifelong fan they were sheer bliss from day one.. and they continue to captivate & enthrall me in 5.1 all these years down the line..

..from the swirling howling winds, tolling bells and Dave Henschel's haunting synths, showcased so spectacularly in Funeral For A Friend.. via crashing waves and screeching seagulls with Sweet Painted Ladies, Roy & Trigger's hoofbeats made my heart skip a beat.. B-movie stars and two bit gangsters, lesbian trysts and Bulldogs barking in the backyard (enough to raise the dead man from his grave!).. through to the gorgeous final vocal strains of Davey, Dee & Nigel in the surround channels at the conclusion of the criminally underrated Harmony.. Goodbye Yellow Brick Road always had a special quality, it was less a standard form album and more a series of snapshots of super-short stories.. 17 mini movie vignettes of Marilyn Monroe & Bennie and her Jets.. with Greg Penny's incredible surround mixes, at last presented in all its wonderful widescreen glory...

He's a killer artist......all his music is fabulous IMO. I think I literally wore out 2 LP's...same title. Loved it so much.

Elton John Greatest Hits Volume II...Wow did I love those songs back in the day...

71kGVrOGwGL._SX425_.jpg

aah.. even with a contractual obligation, at this stage of his career there was still some TLC in there, lovely little illustrations for every song in the liners was a nice touch.. hit after hit, all tongue in cheek, back when he was FUN and funky (fatigued and frazzled but still giving it all he'd got!)..

If ever there was an artist with a monster career of two halves you have it right there in Elton.. the stone cold classic 70's EJ on one hand and then everything else since suffers by comparison (I feel pretty much the same way about Bowie, to be fair..).. the ensuing 30 years of relative mediocrity almost undid all the incredible string of albums from their 70's heyday.. controversial maybe but it's how I feel about those two artists in particular.. how could they ever top their earlier work.. when the first 6/7 years of your career includes things like Your Song, Tiny Dancer, Rocket Man, Daniel, Crocodile Rock, Candle In The Wind, Bennie And The Jets, Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, Saturday Night's Alright For Fighting, The Bitch Is Back, Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me, Someone Saved My Life Tonight, Philadelphia Freedom, Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word... you might as well hang up your hat.. for every Tiny Dancer there's a dog that's had its day, as he sang in the sequel to Captain Fantastic some 30 years and as many albums later... just about sums it up!

Back