Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How are you finding it? I don't remember it fondly, though it's been a while..

Edit: The surround mix I mean :eek:

Well...I'm glad you asked. This is exactly why I hadn't listened to it in so long. Well, not the surround mix really...but the lack of bass. OK, OK....still worried about the bass. Here's what I just found out. I remembered the bass issue, so I did what I HATE doing...which is turning up the bass on my sub. I so want to not have to do that...but my sub is a freaking monster and it can handle anything I tell it.

So - instantly, it made this disc sound as good (for metal) as any I've ever heard. To my ears...the surround mix is adequate. In fact...very adequate. I mean, for metal...it's just loud....so a crazy mix would just get lost I think. Too much wall of sound going on to appreciate any attempt to do that.

I gotta say - this thing flat out rocks and sounds quite good. Certainly not a disc you would put on to show off surround...but it "could" be a disc to show off how much better metal can sound with a good recording and a great format.

So, now that I've given in to turning up the knob on my sub (which requires me to get up and reach behind the damn thing....and remember exactly where the setting was so it doesn't mess up what Audyssey tried to accomplish on most other recordings...)...I decided to give George Benson SACD a try again. I dissed that one pretty hard cause I was so disappointed in the bass relative to other discs I have.....

Well, by increasing the bass I am able to say that this does sound pretty good. I mean....it still just comes up short of Blood Sweat/Tears....or certainly comes up short of Grover Washington's SACD...still. Pretty good.

Well...I'm glad you asked. This is exactly why I hadn't listened to it in so long. Well, not the surround mix really...but the lack of bass. OK, OK....still worried about the bass. Here's what I just found out. I remembered the bass issue, so I did what I HATE doing...which is turning up the bass on my sub. I so want to not have to do that...but my sub is a freaking monster and it can handle anything I tell it.

So - instantly, it made this disc sound as good (for metal) as any I've ever heard. To my ears...the surround mix is adequate. In fact...very adequate. I mean, for metal...it's just loud....so a crazy mix would just get lost I think. Too much wall of sound going on to appreciate any attempt to do that.

I gotta say - this thing flat out rocks and sounds quite good. Certainly not a disc you would put on to show off surround...but it "could" be a disc to show off how much better metal can sound with a good recording and a great format.

OMG I GAVE IT A THREE

:yikes

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...ACE-SELLS-BUT-WHO-S-BUYING&highlight=Megadeth

In a perfect world it would be nice to just insert a disc and not have to do anything and it sounds incredible..BUT..in the real world that's not always the case IF you want to hear the content you want...and content to me in king..I've got enough demo discs that are collecting dust...so I can make some compromises to hear the music I want...and now that you have a new receiver you can utilize those sound modes on certain discs...bottom line...try to get the best sound you can on the music you love

hahahahaha! Well, I would personally not have given it a 3. I don't know...maybe initially I would have considered a 5....but with my love of bass and fixing that issue..probably I'd go a 7. Who knows....it's metal and how much better can it really sound. Metal doesn't lend itself well to high quality surround IMO. But, back in the day I was a metal freak so I have to say....compared to my old metal albums...I think this flat out blows them all away.

So, now that I've given in to turning up the knob on my sub (which requires me to get up and reach behind the damn thing....and remember exactly where the setting was so it doesn't mess up what Audyssey tried to accomplish on most other recordings...)...I decided to give George Benson SACD a try again. I dissed that one pretty hard cause I was so disappointed in the bass relative to other discs I have.....

Well, by increasing the bass I am able to say that this does sound pretty good. I mean....it still just comes up short of Blood Sweat/Tears....or certainly comes up short of Grover Washington's SACD...still. Pretty good.

..and the new Breezin AF SACD is an improvement on the old DVD-A...!

In a perfect world it would be nice to just insert a disc and not have to do anything and it sounds incredible..BUT..in the real world that's not always the case IF you want to hear the content you want...and content to me in king..I've got enough demo discs that are collecting dust...so I can make some compromises to hear the music I want...and now that you have a new receiver you can utilize those sound modes on certain discs...bottom line...try to get the best sound you can on the music you love

That is absolutely how I"m feeling right now. You nailed it.....which is why I bought that LOVE SACD. I love the music....and I can't wait to get the disc...most likely I'll listen to it in some form of fake quad...but I could care less. If that makes me enjoy it more...then that's what the heck I'll do. :)

hahahahaha! Well, I would personally not have given it a 3. I don't know...maybe initially I would have considered a 5....but with my love of bass and fixing that issue..probably I'd go a 7. Who knows....it's metal and how much better can it really sound. Metal doesn't lend itself well to high quality surround IMO. But, back in the day I was a metal freak so I have to say....compared to my old metal albums...I think this flat out blows them all away.

You have a good point about metal...it's not the ideal genre for sound quality....that's why you hear so many metal recordings that have a "bloated" bass element...especially the live recordings...

Steven Wilson - Hand. Cannot. Erase. - Blu-ray
Beastie Boys - Hot Sauce Committee Part Two - Blu-ray
Steely Dan - Two Against Nature - DVD-Audio

I gave it a 7 :yikes just for the music the rest is poor to say the least.

I gave it a 7 :yikes just for the music the rest is poor to say the least.

Wow - this just proves how we all perceive what is good to our ears. Amazing huh? That's what makes us all different....if we were all the same it would be a pretty damn boring world I think. :)

ALICE COOPER (Vincent Furnier...hehehe)

Billion Dollar Babies (DVD-Audio)

alicecooper-real.jpg

Wow - this just proves how we all perceive what is good to our ears. Amazing huh? That's what makes us all different....if we were all the same it would be a pretty damn boring world I think. :)

You're right about that (y) I do listen to the album though with the bass turned up, treble down, the music is fantastic afterall, what if Rust In Peace was done in surround, Hangar 18 at full throttle :banana:

Back