Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
3-D & Atmos
I'm a lucky man...
tempAATL_562276__125469__05042017125650-5769.jpg

Over the past few months, in the spate of new forthcoming titles or those that have been postponed, I've looked to some of the overlooked titles out there to satisfy my surround jones. Some used some new - all satisfying in one way or the other. I had hoped that they would spread themselves out just a little longer but they're all here now. The search continues...

Marian McPartland - Silent Pool SACD (Concord)
marian.jpg
- lovely tone poem style jazz piano musings by the first lady of jazz piano with lush Alan Broadbent orchestrations - perfect chill out music and wonderfully mixed I might add.

Brenda Russell - Jazz Channel Presents DVD -V (DTS/Dolby)
brenda.jpg
From the BET on Jazz Series - Brenda was an outstanding songwriter and performer. I stumbled upon her years ago and am glad to have this title - these a great recordings considering that they were originally for TV broadcast. Surround elements are primarily audience and ambience in the rear but the occasional discrete moment sneaks through. Bought this for the music.

BB King - Jazz Central Presents DVD V (DTS/Dolby)
bb.jpg
I got to see this version of BB at the Blue Note in Greenwich Village with my wife - who for someone that is not easily knocked out was knocked out. Forget the decline in his playing - the man was a national treasure and made this show memorable - and he still played damn well.

Weather Report - Tale Spinnin' SACD (DV)
wr.jpg
excellent quad mix by Bruce Botnick - only wish they could do my all time fave "Sweetnighter"

Copland Conducts Copland - Appalachian Spring SACD (DV)
fCOPLAND.jpg
Very influential classical piece from my formative years - great quad mix and remastering by Michael Dutton

Over the past few months, in the spate of new forthcoming titles or those that have been postponed, I've looked to some of the overlooked titles out there to satisfy my surround jones. Some used some new - all satisfying in one way or the other. I had hoped that they would spread themselves out just a little longer but they're all here now. The search continues...

Marian McPartland - Silent Pool SACD (Concord)
View attachment 51514
- lovely tone poem style jazz piano musings by the first lady of jazz piano with lush Alan Broadbent orchestrations - perfect chill out music and wonderfully mixed I might add.

Brenda Russell - Jazz Channel Presents DVD -V (DTS/Dolby)
View attachment 51515
From the BET on Jazz Series - Brenda was an outstanding songwriter and performer. I stumbled upon her years ago and am glad to have this title - these a great recordings considering that they were originally for TV broadcast. Surround elements are primarily audience and ambience in the rear but the occasional discrete moment sneaks through. Bought this for the music.

BB King - Jazz Central Presents DVD V (DTS/Dolby)
View attachment 51516
I got to see this version of BB at the Blue Note in Greenwich Village with my wife - who for someone that is not easily knocked out was knocked out. Forget the decline in his playing - the man was a national treasure and made this show memorable - and he still played damn well.

Weather Report - Tale Spinnin' SACD (DV)
View attachment 51517
excellent quad mix by Bruce Botnick - only wish they could do my all time fave "Sweetnighter"

Copland Conducts Copland - Appalachian Spring SACD (DV)
fView attachment 51518
Very influential classical piece from my formative years - great quad mix and remastering by Michael Dutton

All nice ones @elmer, I thought the Silent Pool was not very discrete IIRC; but you can't go wrong with McPartland, did you ever listen to her radio show? She even had Donald Fagen on once, again IIRC.

Back