Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is this the set that supposedly has a defective Blu-ray? I ask because I could have purchased this set for only twice the cost of the SACD but, instead, I went for the SACD.
The earlier sets had defective blu rays from what I read. You should be good with a set now, almost think to grab it while they are readily available. I got mine like 3 weeks ago.

2676C56F-7067-4DE1-B6C7-CC7B09F790A2.jpeg

Genesis ‎– A Trick Of The Tail
SACD 5.1 mix

Mastering packs a wallop. A little loud & bright.

"A nice & enveloping mix. Clear dry vocals from the center channel. Discrete use of the rears that help broaden the soundstage without totally destroying the feel of the original stereo mix.
While "The Lamb" was a little dark "Trick of the Tail" is lighter, Phil is singing, and there is a whole new scenario with a breath of fresh air"

MVIMG_20210129_153605.jpg
MVIMG_20210129_153712.jpg

Genesis ‎– A Trick Of The Tail
SACD 5.1 mix

Mastering packs a wallop. A little loud & bright.

"A nice & enveloping mix. Clear dry vocals from the center channel. Discrete use of the rears that help broaden the soundstage without totally destroying the feel of the original stereo mix.
While "The Lamb" was a little dark "Trick of the Tail" is lighter, Phil is singing, and there is a whole new scenario with a breath of fresh air"

I really like the 5.1 of "Trick of the Tail," but (to my ears) the drums and bass are a bit too low in the mix.

BT ‎– This Binary Universe DTS 5.1 mix

Brian Transeau - musician, DJ, singer, songwriter, composer and audio engineer.

"If you like new music that pushes the envelope a bit and makes good use of your 5.1 setup this album is well worth your time.
For the uninitiated this is electronic music -- very diverse soundscapes - certainly with elements of beat and percussion but very cinematic in scope.
More of a soundtrack feel than anything else"

MVIMG_20210129_175447.jpg
MVIMG_20210129_175329.jpg

Depeche Mode ‎– Playing The Angel
SACD 5.1 multichannel mix

"The surround mix is great, and the music is perfect for surround. The rear channels are often used for a lot of cool effects.
There's an industrial rough edge to the sonics,
background noise/harshness that was deliberately NOT cleaned up and mellowed out.
Sometimes catchy and then depressing at times. This album lives up to the tagline on the back of 'Pain and Suffering in Various Tempos'

MVIMG_20210129_192531.jpg
MVIMG_20210129_175926.jpg

Miles Davis ‎– In A Silent Way
SACD 5.1 mix

"This is hypnotic, mystical music. Arousing yet soothing some primitive recess of one's consciousness..
The SACD multichannel version is smoother and better defined as one would expect and, frankly, makes a whole lot more sense in it's expanded presentation.
Finally you can clearly discern the 3 (count 'em!) individual keyboard players' contributions full of fire and bursting with dynamics:
Herbie Hancock, Chick Corea, and Joe Zawinul
are spread through the room.
John McLaughlin guitar has bite.
Miles Davis and Wayne Shorter horns are clear and emphatic.
This is definitely one of those albums whose enjoyment is greatly enhanced by the format"

MVIMG_20210129_174624.jpg

Another new arrival ( I haven’t even mentioned yet the Vocalion items that came yesterday)
Transatlantic - The Absolute Universe 5.1 (The Ultimate Version) LPCM Blu-ray.
I'm really liking this one, and the visuals are amazing!
20210130_142803.jpg

19 tracks, 1 hour 37minutes 40 seconds. And a "making of" documentary.

Last edited:
Back