Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tim Bowness - Lost In The Ghost Light 5.1 DTS DVDV
timbow.jpg

Haven't seen this one mentioned much, which isn't all that surprising since it's just ambient in the rears (although nicely so - and some center channel use for the bass and vocals, which works really well); but a killer band, a great listen overall, and the drums in particular (Steve Gadd) sound outrageously good on this recording!

IMG_9201.jpg

https://www.discogs.com/Will-Rainbow-Harmony/release/14923484

One of David Bridie’s best albums (and that’s Bridie, not Birdie). I presume this release is only stereo?
Oops! I swear it was the spellcheck‘s fault…not mine!! LOL!! 😂 Thanks for the correction! It is a multichannel SACD released in 2000. The surround mix is good and has some discrete parts in the rear speakers. I wish the vocals were spread around a little more, though. It can be recommended if you like the music.

David Bridie – Act Of Free Choice (2000, SACD)

C322C099-4362-4D8B-AEE0-54A2570DDEA6.jpeg

One of David Bridie’s best albums (and that’s Bridie, not Birdie). I presume this release is only stereo?

It's a remarkable and somewhat rare 5.1 mix. Different track listing to the standard Aus CD. I actually like the feel of the centre isolated vocal. I love it but yearn for more of his content in the format. My favourite of his solo albums is Hotel Radio; can only imagine how incredible a track like Wires could appear. Not Drowning Waving albums Tabaran and Claim could be stellar. Initial dreams include separated drum kits in Sing Sing; Phillip's guitars moving in the rears... I wonder if anything else has ever been mixed into 5.1... :)

Back