Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
O...........k ;)

Is it Mixed by Kevin Shirley ?
He produced it, but don't remember who mixed it.

I ripped the audio and did my own Penteo up-mix/re-mix of it I liked it so much!

Mostly light ambient stuff/audience (imported from previous shows as it was a Covid cutout show) in the rears but wide fronts and center allowed for some adventure at the computer :)

I just don't even know who this dude is....but with an album cover like this....no wonder I never give it a chance. :( My God.....am I getting grouchy? Maybe....

No your not ,I notice such things as album covers as well.
I gotta wonder why there seems to be a lack of artful covers for some releases of late? (or lately 🤔)

He produced it, but don't remember who mixed it.

I ripped the audio and did my own Penteo up-mix/re-mix of it I liked it so much!

Mostly light ambient stuff/audience (imported from previous shows as it was a Covid cutout show) in the rears but wide fronts and center allowed for some adventure at the computer :)

So it's "sans audience" ?
If so that's not necessarily a bad thing .

Listening now to Mr. Big-Lean Into It, SACD 5.1 ripped using Sonore software and OPPO, played back through JRiver (dedicated PC) software and Exasound E38 MCH player, using Splashtop remote to access dedicated PC from working PC at my sitting position, (work and play mode).
This 2021 release was my favorite surprise release of the year, came out of nowhere and on nobody's radar.
Solid hard rock in great 5.1 surround, works well when played loud.
DSF file 5.1 with DR's of 12's, 13's, 14. Currently listening at 81db, sounds GREAT.
R-19686241-1628189966-7868.jpeg.jpg

Listening now to Mr. Big-Lean Into It, SACD 5.1 ripped using Sonore software and OPPO, played back through JRiver (dedicated PC) software and Exasound E38 MCH player, using Splashtop remote to access dedicated PC from working PC at my sitting position, (work and play mode).
This 2021 release was my favorite surprise release of the year, came out of nowhere and on nobody's radar.
Solid hard rock in great 5.1 surround, works well when played loud.
DSF file 5.1 with DR's of 12's, 13's, 14. Currently listening at 81db, sounds GREAT.
View attachment 74559
Have you listened to the Atmos version on Apple Music?

Opeth - Heritage (DTS DVD)

s-l640.jpeg

Really enjoying both the music and Steven Wilson's 5.1 mix (lots of guitar and organ isolated in the rear speakers), but I wish we could've gotten a reissue of this sans Peter Mew's mastering (as was done for Jethro Tull's Thick As A Brick and Aqualung). The quieter passages - such as the last two minutes of "Nepenthe" - sound fantastic, but there's a harsh, thin quality to the louder sections.

20211221_191055.jpg

I gave disc 2 a spin earlier this week.....Santana/Miles - Live Quad from a Volcano. I think it pretty much sums up my appreciation for the Columbia SQ album . So to me it sounds pretty much similar. Nice to have it in a nice clean 4 channel SACD from D V though.
Oh .....eventually I'll get around to listening to Buddy Miles- Booger 🐻 ,for his boogie performance.
And I'm still playing catch up with some prior DV releases.

And I'd appreciate any recommendations fwiw. (Maybe in the Classical or Jazz , R&B genre's 🤔 🎶)

Propaganda - A Secret Wish (SACD)

600x600bb.jpg

Ken Bruce on Radio 2 just played Duel, and I thought this would be in really good in surround. Then I remembered I actually have this in surround! 😂 The mix is really good. Slightly cold sounding mastering on my system but thoroughly enjoyable.

No poll for this title? I'd give probably give it a strong 8 or a 9.

View attachment 74572

Ken Bruce on Radio 2 just played Duel, and I thought this would be in really good in surround. Then I remembered I actually have this in surround! 😂 The mix is really good. Slightly cold sounding mastering on my system but thoroughly enjoyable.

Spreading Propaganda again, SMITHERS?

View attachment 74572

last time i played it, to me it had a whiff of upmix balls about it but i'll definitely give it another try just in case i was off my noggin at the time or something 😆

Back